Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: All The Way May?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...All-The-Way-May

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

Good analysis. He is a bit lower on my list of prospects, but is still just behind Gibson and Berrios. If the nay-sayers are right and he is a 4-5 starter, then jump up and down for that because it is a MAJOR improvement over the garbage recently trotted out there and what is going to be trotted out there in 2013 with Correia.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

If he had walked even 20-25 fewer batters over the course of the season, he's probably closer to the 4-6 rankings, but instead, he should be in people's 7-9 range... I do like the upside here though!

#4 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

We live in the present, the future is only a dream. Take care of the present or there will be no future.

#5 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

One thing to consider is that his walks and homeruns may have been partially due to trying to rework his mechanics. The homeruns especially seem like an outlier to me. I just checked his MILB.com page and it looks like he had a nice August/September where he improved on these numbers. in 39 2/3 innings he had 42 K's (9.4 /9), 14 BB's (3.17/9), and 3 HR's (.68/9).

So while it's a small sample it is close to 1/3 of his season and it's the last part when you would hope he had adjusted to the league. In fact looking overall he had a very good April, followed by a rough May/June/July then a nice August/September. Maybe the league adjusted to him and he finally figured out how to attack back come August. Either way, I think he's a top 5 guy and don't put him much behind Meyer if at all.

#6 Docsilly

Docsilly

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

The key to getting the ball down in the zone is to get on top of the ball. Obviously, easier said than done. But as a HS pitching coach, I have to evaluate a bunch of kids with horrible mechanics that their summer coaches have taught them. Getting the ball out of the glove is the primary thing do and to do this right, a pitcher needs to do this. Keep the glove and pitching hand down by the belly button. By doing this, the throwing hand has to "go up" which makes it easier to get on top. DO NOT LIFT hands with leg lift as this will make it difficult to get on top quicker and not lag behind. The less motion, the more liklihood to be able to repeat the mechanics. I haven't seen his motion and cannot comment exactly what he does, but I bet his hand placement could be better as well as his motion itself and make it more compact.

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,834 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

> May has been able to get batters “out” by throwing three “strikes”. On his way to these “strike outs”,

This is an interesting and different way of looking at pitching, indeed at the game itself. You may be onto something here.

#8 Jack Torse

Jack Torse

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

good stuff

#9 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Terrible one-liner to follow:

MAY the odds be ever in his favor.

BOOM!

#10 Mark_RM

Mark_RM

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Great article. Hopefully that changeup keeps comming around. Combine his talent with the Twins' organizational emphasis on throwing strikes, and possibly we get a legit # 2 caliber SP. Am I asking too much for the 2015 rotation to have a 1(Meyer) backed by two 2s (May & Gibson)?

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

One thing to consider is that his walks and homeruns may have been partially due to trying to rework his mechanics. The homeruns especially seem like an outlier to me. I just checked his MILB.com page and it looks like he had a nice August/September where he improved on these numbers. in 39 2/3 innings he had 42 K's (9.4 /9), 14 BB's (3.17/9), and 3 HR's (.68/9).

So while it's a small sample it is close to 1/3 of his season and it's the last part when you would hope he had adjusted to the league. In fact looking overall he had a very good April, followed by a rough May/June/July then a nice August/September. Maybe the league adjusted to him and he finally figured out how to attack back come August. Either way, I think he's a top 5 guy and don't put him much behind Meyer if at all.

This is more encouraging... wonder if Parker can pick up some photos from his delivery during this timeframe...

#12 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Great article. Hopefully that changeup keeps comming around. Combine his talent with the Twins' organizational emphasis on throwing strikes, and possibly we get a legit # 2 caliber SP. Am I asking too much for the 2015 rotation to have a 1(Meyer) backed by two 2s (May & Gibson)?

I think getting two #3's by 2015 is optimistic.

#13 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

I think getting two #3's by 2015 is optimistic.

True, it is being optimistic. What is the problem with that?

#14 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

It's just as likely that the Twins get zero #3's by 2015. This board has been taken over by those that only see upside in prospects.

#15 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

It's just as likely that the Twins get zero #3's by 2015. This board has been taken over by those that only see upside in prospects.

That would be a total fail on the Revere and Span trade. Worley aint enough, and there are no guarantees with him either.

#16 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

It would be very disappointing but that's how prospects work. It's pretty obvious that you haven't followed prospects for more than a season or two. 2 years ago someone could have had the same expectations of Salcedo/Gibson/Wimmers. 2 TJ's and an injured arm later we're still waiting and Gibson is just getting back to where he was. A couple of seasons before that Hunt dominated rookie ball and then couldn't find the strike zone in A ball. Gutierrez looked good and Bromberg had a great season in Beloit. None of those guys worked out either. May/Meyer/Gibson is better than those guys but the prospect failure is far higher than you are willing to even consider and it's making your optimism look foolish.