Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Post Season Rotation

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,072 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

That's possible, and would be pretty interesting!

Although they could still sprinkle in some mid-series off-days. Theoff-days could stagger the games for TV broadcast purposes (so they could get more games in prime time, and maybe more on desirable days of the week).

While possible to go with no off days (and that would play to the Twins' advantage with their depth, I would argue), with the primary revenue for owners coming from broadcast revenue, I would agree that they will schedule off days in order to maximize the number of prime time games they can broadcast. I do hope they skip the stupid off day between games 4 and 5 in a five-game series. 

Additionally, if they are in a bubble using only a couple of stadiums, they'll have to allow for plenty of transition time between games, which makes it a little harder to stack games. That's part of the argument for having the first round at local sites.  

• spycake and DocBauer like this

#22 SkyBlueWaters

SkyBlueWaters

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 81 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:24 AM

... If the Yankees stay in the 7th or 8th spot, they'll be playing one of the division winners in the first round. On the other hand, if the Twins can snag that top 2nd place spot (#4 seed), they'd be in line to host the Blue Jays in the first round.

So much is still up in the air, with regard to the seeding. I completely agree that NYY with Judge and Stanton back would be formidable, and with Cole guaranteed to pitch in a 2 or 3 game first round showdown, I'd rather not face them. But with a little over two weeks remaining, a lot still has to settle out before we can guess much about the seeding.

For instance, check out the Blue Jays' schedule after finishing with the Mets today. They get 7 with NYY, and 4 with the Phillies, before finishing with the Orioles. If the Yankees rebound against the Jays, a lot could change fast.

I had hoped Detroit (& Gardy) might sneak into the hunt--they have 6 games left with KC. But I think they are fading fast--couldn't get past the Chisox.

Although the Astros are fading, they'd have to fall behind Seattle to drop out of the playoffs. As they are in (distant) 2nd place in the AL West, they still qualify as the 2nd place team, even if some 3rd place East or Central team finishes with a better record.

Whatever else, it's a fun playoff race--do people still call it a pennant chase when referring to the regular season? Seems old-fashioned.

• spycake likes this

#23 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,195 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:37 PM

If the playoff games are held in a neutral site bubble, there will be no need to schedule off days for travel. It is entirely possible that this year you will need a full five man rotation for the playoffs. The only off days will be between series and extra days off if a series doesn't go the distance.

I still don't see them wanting to play 4 games/day with games in the afternoon. The entire point is TV ratings. Playing games at noon on Wednesday doesn't do that.

#24 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 967 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:03 PM

Listened to Gleeman&Geek podcast. They agreed on Maeda, Berrios & Pineda as the 1st round rotation I'm fine with that. My question is who (knock on wood) is the starter for Game 1 of whatever the second round is called? I say Oddo if healthy, Hill scares me. Dobnak possibly having to revisit Yankee Stadium doesn't sit well with me either. Or does it matter if we win The Central and get the 1-3 seed or we fail and are 7 or 8 seed? Sorry for The Nervous Nelly post, but I was just just thinking (before drinking) 

I will pass on Odo as the starter in game 1 of the second round of the playoffs as he has been awful this season. Dobnak is my choice as he has proven somewhat reliable. 

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:51 PM

I will pass on Odo as the starter in game 1 of the second round of the playoffs as he has been awful this season. Dobnak is my choice as he has proven somewhat reliable. 

Odorizzi has 10 IP this season, all of it while returning from injury before taking a liner in the chest and getting injured again.

All health being equal, I will take Odorizzi in a single game over Dobnak almost every time.

• JoshDungan1 likes this

#26 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Elizabethton Twins

• 13 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

It looks like the Twins might face the Yankees yet again in the first round. The way the Twins can avoid this is by winning the division.

For the playoff rotation, you start with the best. I'm sorry but that's still Berrios. Maeda is next, probably. I worry about him being unproven in the playoffs.

For the #3 guy, you go with either Odorizzi or Hill, depending on the matchup. Hill is the only lefty.

No one should be upset if others gets pushed back by Pineda or Dobnak. Both are fine options too.

#27 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 104 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:02 AM

Looks like playoff is Tues, Wed, and Th. if necessary, next round does not start until Monday the next week. So whoever pitches games 1, 2, 3 can pitch the next week, will not need 4th starter until 4th game of 2nd round. I would say Maeda and Berrios 1-2, order not that important. 3 maybe Pineda or possibly Hill, I would say Odorizzi is long shot, will take longer than a couple of weeks to grow that fingernail back. Dobnak, big question mark, maybe as a 2-3 inning opener later in playoffs should not need in first round. Are they staying with 28 player roster or returning to 26 for playoffs?

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:05 AM

For the playoff rotation, you start with the best. I'm sorry but that's still Berrios. Maeda is next, probably. I worry about him being unproven in the playoffs.

I don't agree with this at all.

First, Maeda is probably second in line for the Cy Young this season, Bieber has just been incredible and on a different level than everyone else.

Second, Maeda has far more experience and success in the postseason, though most of it in relief (not really his fault, though). In 32.2 IP, he has a 3.31 ERA, including 8.2 very good World Series innings.

If anything, I worry about Berrios a lot more than I do Maeda.

• Danchat, woolywoolhouse, kenbuddha and 4 others like this

#29 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 327 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:36 PM

Berrios has pitched extremely well in his last two starts, which were close to "must win" games to hold on to the #4 seed, and both against two very good teams. I think he is more prepared for postseason success this year than years past. That said, Kenta will be the game 1 starter and definitely should be. 

• Brock Beauchamp and wabene like this

#30 umterp23

umterp23

Elizabethton Twins

• 40 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

28 player roster for playoffs is nice, don't think we need to carry 15 pitchers for first series though as you only need 3 starters, let's hope just use 2 starters and get out of there with series W and not have to play a 3rd game.  Pull the plug on Odorizzi for remainder of season, can't rely on him at this moment in time. If Arraez is back end of this week for playoffs, who get's pulled from 28 man active roster?  I would think one of the 4th, 5th or 6th starting pitchers for first round of play offs isn't needed.  Or do you pull the plug on Poppen in bullpen.  Avila hasn't done anything and are you really worried you need a L batter from your catcher spot?  You could sit him down and let Garver/Jeffers be the catcher workhorses. 

• wabene likes this

#31 SkyBlueWaters

SkyBlueWaters

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 81 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:35 PM

Odorizzi has 10 IP this season, all of it while returning from injury before taking a liner in the chest and getting injured again.

All health being equal, I will take Odorizzi in a single game over Dobnak almost every time.

Agreed. Odorizzi is a savvy vet. And with our depth in the rotation, if a starter gets in trouble in the middle innings, I could see Jake coming in to settle things down for a few.

Dobnak's pitching to contact, against a top-tier offense, in a playoff game, scares me. 

• Brock Beauchamp, JoshDungan1 and wabene like this

#32 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,069 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:15 PM

If they can reset their roster after the first round, I think Maeda, Berríos and then Pineda would be how I would go. There would be no need to carry additional starters unless the need was felt to have a long man due to injury or getting knocked out early. 

Maeda has more often than not started with more than five days rest, so I would start him on Wednesday the 23rd as his setup for the opener for the playoffs. Starting Berríos on Friday would give him four days rest to go on Wednesday. Same for Pineda--start him on Saturday so that he has four days before a possible Game 3 playoff start or Berríos and Pineda could switch spots.

#33 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:08 PM

If they can reset their roster after the first round, I think Maeda, Berríos and then Pineda would be how I would go. There would be no need to carry additional starters unless the need was felt to have a long man due to injury or getting knocked out early. 

Yes, they can reset their roster after each round.

BUT, with a 28-man roster (and a special 29th spot for a 3rd catcher in case of concussion), there's probably ample room for a 4th starter, even if they're just used out of the pen or in case of emergency.

You can replaced an injured player within the series -- but then they're ineligible for the next series too. So only having 3 starters for 3 games in 3 days could come back to bite you, if one of those starters came down with a temporary illness on game day or something.

• JoshDungan1 and SkyBlueWaters like this

#34 umterp23

umterp23

Elizabethton Twins

• 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:12 AM

Taxi squad of 5 players in play for playoffs I believe so if that is the case, then you can carry fringe guys for situational as you state based on injuries, etc.  There are no rest days once a series starts until you get to the WS round where the traditional off day (2 of them ) appear.  So once a series starts, then you let it rip for x amount straight days. Let the paper strategy commence

#35 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:25 AM

Taxi squad of 5 players in play for playoffs I believe so if that is the case, then you can carry fringe guys for situational as you state based on injuries, etc.

According to this article:

https://www.nj.com/y...n-declares.html

It sounds like there is a 40-man postseason player pool, different from the 40-man roster. 28 of those will be on the postseason active roster, but the other 12 will have to remain quarantined at the team's alternate training site, ready in case of injury to one of the 28.

And I haven't heard of any changes to the postseason injury replacement rules, so if you want to swap out an injured player for an alternate player, the injured player will have to miss the duration of the current series and the entire next series. (And only pitchers can replace a pitcher, and position players must replace a position player.)

#36 umterp23

umterp23

Elizabethton Twins

• 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:33 AM

According to this article:

https://www.nj.com/y...n-declares.html

It sounds like there is a 40-man postseason player pool, different from the 40-man roster. 28 of those will be on the postseason active roster, but the other 12 will have to remain quarantined at the team's alternate training site, ready in case of injury to one of the 28.

And I haven't heard of any changes to the postseason injury replacement rules, so if you want to swap out an injured player for an alternate player, the injured player will have to miss the duration of the current series and the entire next series. (And only pitchers can replace a pitcher, and position players must replace a position player.)

How would a alternate site work for 12 pool guys?  Do they stay at home in St. Paul for the neutral site games and then have to hop on plane to California?  Just curious

#37 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:08 AM

How would a alternate site work for 12 pool guys?  Do they stay at home in St. Paul for the neutral site games and then have to hop on plane to California?  Just curious

That's the way the article sounded. I'm guessing MLB wants ample replacements ready, but MLB doesn't want that many players in their CA/TX bubbles? I'd say that would be an advantage for teams closer to CA/TX (shorter flight for replacements) but there are so few injury replacements during the postseason, it probably won't make any difference.

Once the Twins are done playing in Target Field (hopefully after the first round), I suppose the 12 pool guys wouldn't have to be in St. Paul anymore and they could use Target Field instead.

#38 twins1095

twins1095

Ft Myers Miracle

• 306 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:41 PM

Agreed. Odorizzi is a savvy vet. And with our depth in the rotation, if a starter gets in trouble in the middle innings, I could see Jake coming in to settle things down for a few.

Dobnak's pitching to contact, against a top-tier offense, in a playoff game, scares me. 

On the flip side, the extreme downward vertical movement on Dobnak's pitches makes me more confident that other teams aren't going to tee off and break games open with a HR against Dobnak... which is what I want in a playoff series. I'd be worried that Odorizzi, with his propensity to pitch at the top of the zone, if he isn't perfect... gives up a couple of bombas which we cannot afford.

#39 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:53 PM

On the flip side, the extreme downward vertical movement on Dobnak's pitches makes me more confident that other teams aren't going to tee off and break games open with a HR against Dobnak... which is what I want in a playoff series. I'd be worried that Odorizzi, with his propensity to pitch at the top of the zone, if he isn't perfect... gives up a couple of bombas which we cannot afford.

No, the downside of Dobnak is that he allows weak contact and still gives up eight hits and four runs in 5 IP.

It's the nature of a contact-heavy pitcher. Some days, you'll be dominant. Other days, you'll do nothing wrong and get knocked around because the baseball gods don't like you that day.

There's a reason why baseball prioritizes missing bats in pitchers. They are more reliable and less prone to fluctuation by getting BABIPed in any single performance.

I'm not bashing Dobnak, he has a place on this roster next year and I hope he does well... but I have little to no confidence in him in a single game performance.

• Battle ur tail off likes this

#40 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 686 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:12 PM

Pitch Dobnak at all in the playoffs an expect to get beat. He will get hit and hit hard against a tough postseason roster.