Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Post Season Rotation

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 denarded

denarded

• 206 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:12 PM

Listened to Gleeman&Geek podcast. They agreed on Maeda, Berrios & Pineda as the 1st round rotation I'm fine with that. My question is who (knock on wood) is the starter for Game 1 of whatever the second round is called? I say Oddo if healthy, Hill scares me. Dobnak possibly having to revisit Yankee Stadium doesn't sit well with me either. Or does it matter if we win The Central and get the 1-3 seed or we fail and are 7 or 8 seed? Sorry for The Nervous Nelly post, but I was just just thinking (before drinking)

• DocBauer likes this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#2 darin617

darin617

• 1,560 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:23 PM

Berrios will make a decent #3 starter.

#3 JoshDungan1

JoshDungan1

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 51 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:28 AM

Listened to Gleeman&Geek podcast. They agreed on Maeda, Berrios & Pineda as the 1st round rotation I'm fine with that. My question is who (knock on wood) is the starter for Game 1 of whatever the second round is called? I say Oddo if healthy, Hill scares me. Dobnak possibly having to revisit Yankee Stadium doesn't sit well with me either. Or does it matter if we win The Central and get the 1-3 seed or we fail and are 7 or 8 seed? Sorry for The Nervous Nelly post, but I was just just thinking (before drinking)

Honestly I'd love to see Dobnak go again in Game 1. He had a decent outing in NY last year and depending on who we would face in the second round, I would love to see his bulldog self on the mound to start off the series.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. -Frost

#4 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 125 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:23 PM

First we have to see who will pitch on the last weekend. We may not have the luxury of skipping anybody so the 3 who will start in round 1 may not be these three. Also, I am looking forward to a 2 game sweep in round 1 to help with round 2. However, I am not afraid of any of our 5-6 starters (including Odo if he's ready) giving at least 5 good innings. I'd be more afraid of the bullpen.

#5 twinbythebay

twinbythebay

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 240 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:51 PM

First we have to see who will pitch on the last weekend. We may not have the luxury of skipping anybody so the 3 who will start in round 1 may not be these three. Also, I am looking forward to a 2 game sweep in round 1 to help with round 2. However, I am not afraid of any of our 5-6 starters (including Odo if he's ready) giving at least 5 good innings. I'd be more afraid of the bullpen.

I think we can be pretty certain that they will setup their rotation to have Maeda, Pineda, and Berrios in line to start the first three playoff games. None of those guys will be pitching in the last couple of games, as the importance of winning the division or getting a certain seed pales in comparison to the importance of the playoff games.

I think Dobnak is currently in line to be the fourth playoff starter, but if Odorizzi dazzles in the couple of starts he should get before the end of the season, it's possible he could jump ahead of Dobnak. I wouldn't be too worried about playing at Yankee Stadium this season, unless the Yankees somehow win the rest of their regular season games. They're closer to being out of the playoffs than they are to having home field advantage in the playoffs. Also, after the first round, it sounds like the rest of the playoffs will be played in a bubble in either CA or TX anyway.

• DocBauer and SkyBlueWaters like this

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,902 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:47 PM

This is an impossible question to answer before we see how Hill and Odorizzi finish.

All things being equal, I’d prefer either to start over Dobnak. Randy has been great for the team this year but his pitching profile is more likely to blow up over single start than guys who miss bats more consistently.
  • JoshDungan1, railmarshalljon, Battle ur tail off and 1 other like this

#7 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,187 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:44 PM

Whoever starts game 1 of the WC can start game 1 of the ALDS. They'll have at least two off days in there I suspect. I'd go Maeda game 1. Game 2 I would start Berrios if we win game 1. If we lose, I would start Pineda. I don't want Berrios pitching it a must-win game at this point.

Once a 4th starter is needed, it's a toss-up between Dobnak and Hill for me. Probably Dobnak at this time, but Hill can win me over with a couple good outings.

I want no part of Odo at this point. He's simply too rusty and the 2-3 starts he can theoretically make between now and the end of the season aren't enough to change my mind. I'm not even sure I'd put him in the bullpen.

#8 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,604 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:51 AM

Depends how the rotation ends the season, and the matchups. Nice to know that as of today we do have five potential starters to mix and match.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#9 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,077 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:42 AM

Whoever starts game 1 of the WC can start game 1 of the ALDS. They'll have at least two off days in there I suspect. I'd go Maeda game 1. Game 2 I would start Berrios if we win game 1. If we lose, I would start Pineda. I don't want Berrios pitching it a must-win game at this point.

Once a 4th starter is needed, it's a toss-up between Dobnak and Hill for me. Probably Dobnak at this time, but Hill can win me over with a couple good outings.

I want no part of Odo at this point. He's simply too rusty and the 2-3 starts he can theoretically make between now and the end of the season aren't enough to change my mind. I'm not even sure I'd put him in the bullpen.

Gotta agree on Odorizzi. Not certain what his role can be in the playoffs. Hopefully, he will get a couple chances to show what he can do over the next 14 games.

A bigger question for Odorizzi, what offers will he get next winter? Kind of has become a forgotten arm in a forgettable season. Can see him signing another one year deal for a lot less than he made this year, or at least what he would have made in a full season. Will it be with the Twins?

#10 mnfireman

mnfireman

• 310 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:45 AM

I don't think there are any built in off days during the WC round, they are best of 3 with no travel. Set the rotation and run with it. Hopefully no meltdowns from the starters or the bullpen and the offense is firing on all cylinders.

#11 SkyBlueWaters

SkyBlueWaters

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 81 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 11:37 AM

... I wouldn't be too worried about playing at Yankee Stadium this season, unless the Yankees somehow win the rest of their regular season games. They're closer to being out of the playoffs than they are to having home field advantage in the playoffs. 

I agreed with most of what you said, particularly being nervous about Dobnak. When good hitters figure out his sinker, they can hit it hard. 

You mention not worrying about Yankee Stadium, but you don't take the Yankees themselves lightly, do you? Our playoff record against them this century is abysmal. Sure, I want the Twins to go all the way, but if they could just beat NYY in a playoff series it would make winter a lot easier, for me at least. 

#12 twinbythebay

twinbythebay

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 240 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

I agreed with most of what you said, particularly being nervous about Dobnak. When good hitters figure out his sinker, they can hit it hard. 

You mention not worrying about Yankee Stadium, but you don't take the Yankees themselves lightly, do you? Our playoff record against them this century is abysmal. Sure, I want the Twins to go all the way, but if they could just beat NYY in a playoff series it would make winter a lot easier, for me at least. 

No, what I meant was that the Yankees are unlikely to get home field advantage in the playoffs, given the current standings. I want no part of the Yankees in the playoffs, particularly if they're able to get healthy by then. This is another reason why I don't think it makes a lot of sense to make a big push to win the division this season. If the Yankees stay in the 7th or 8th spot, they'll be playing one of the division winners in the first round. On the other hand, if the Twins can snag that top 2nd place spot (#4 seed), they'd be in line to host the Blue Jays in the first round.

• SkyBlueWaters likes this

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,902 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:57 PM

I don't think there are any built in off days during the WC round, they are best of 3 with no travel. Set the rotation and run with it. Hopefully no meltdowns from the starters or the bullpen and the offense is firing on all cylinders.

I think there's a *very* good chance he returns to the Twins. He seems to like it here, he has flourished in a Twins uniform, the Twins need his arm, and the team is highly competitive.

Why go anywhere else at that point? It's a bit of a no-brainer for everyone involved.

• DocBauer and biswrest like this

#14 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,994 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:32 PM

I'm a little disappointed that the Twins didn't adjust their rotation now with the two off days. They could have gone with Maeda, Pineda and Berríos for this series all on full rest. The next series would be Hill, Dobnak, Maeda and Pineda. They have two off days in the following week.

#15 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:54 PM

Maeda, Berrios and Pineda, in that order. I've said all along Berrios would bet right and finish strong. I think we are seeing that now.

I am completely dismissing Dobnak's last outing for many reasons. I shouldn't have to break it down if you've being paying attention. Hill is a mystery/wild card, but the proverbial "ace in the hole". Oddo's latest setback was a fluke, and and not arm or back related. But is there enough time to "get right" before the post season?

The next couple of weeks will determine if Hill or Dobnak are your 4th SP. IMO, Odorizzi will be either a long man or a designated opener.

Compare this to last season or past seasons. Things are coming together. We are actually debating 6SP and how best to use them. This is an amazing luxury!
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,902 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:38 PM

Maeda, Berrios and Pineda, in that order. I've said all along Berrios would bet right and finish strong. I think we are seeing that now.

The next couple of weeks will determine if Hill or Dobnak are your 4th SP. IMO, Odorizzi will be either a long man or a designated opener.

Giving Odorizzi two innings and then flipping to Hill for 2-3 more innings could be the new winning strategy in a game 3-4 starter.

• DocBauer and railmarshalljon like this

#17 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• 279 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 11:10 PM

If the playoff games are held in a neutral site bubble, there will be no need to schedule off days for travel. It is entirely possible that this year you will need a full five man rotation for the playoffs. The only off days will be between series and extra days off if a series doesn't go the distance.

• Brock Beauchamp and DocBauer like this

#18 spycake

spycake

• 18,073 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:09 AM

If the playoff games are held in a neutral site bubble, there will be no need to schedule off days for travel. It is entirely possible that this year you will need a full five man rotation for the playoffs. The only off days will be between series and extra days off if a series doesn't go the distance.

That's possible, and would be pretty interesting!

Although they could still sprinkle in some mid-series off-days. Theoff-days could stagger the games for TV broadcast purposes (so they could get more games in prime time, and maybe more on desirable days of the week).

#19 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,745 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

I think we all know Maeda is the best pitcher on this team. That said, would Rocco really start him over Berrios in a Game 1 situation?

I frankly don't think Rocco will give the ball to Kenta until Game 2. Rocco is loyal, supportive, and is a "players manager" all the way. Berrios is the #1 on paper, has seniority on this team, etc.

There's no way, in my humble opinion, Kenta will start Game 1. Rocco's giving the ball to La Makina whether we think it's the right thing to do or not.

#20 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,978 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

One can parse this is in many ways, but argument can be made that the second game is more important in a three-game series than the first. Sure, you want to get off to a good start by winning the first game, but in the second game, you're either trying to stave off elimination or finish off the series. That would be a reason to go with Berrios, followed by Maeda. 

• DocBauer and wabene like this