Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: On Paradigms and Kevin Correia

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...d-Kevin-Correia

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

Uhhhmmm, can you repeat the part, about the stuff?

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

He also actually isn't that durable. He has one season over 172 innings pitched. They should have, honestly, just saved that damn money and tried to someone turn the $5.5 million being spent on Blackburn into a viable 5th starter. They now are spending $10.5 million for both of them.

#4 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

Maybe Kevin Correia will have a paradigm shift which leads him to throw harder, have better stuff, and have a better mental make-up to be a starting pitcher. One never knows. It is too bad this signing came so late in the Christmas season. If it were a month earlier, maybe some of us could have sent Santa Claus a letter, asking for him to give Correia these gifts. But alas, It is too late for that... oh well, maybe next year.

#5 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,214 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

Look at the bright side - maybe this will raise the market for decent pitchers, thereby forcing other teams to pay more.

#6 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

No, this is really that bad. It's not an overreaction to say so. The killer is 2014; Correia will have been blasted out of the rotation by then, but it's $5 million down the drain for a season that is hopefully when things can finally head in a positive direction.

#7 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

Don't the Twins have pitchers like this signed in Rochester? Yes. And for 1/10th of the money. It will be interesting to see how the Ryan defenders spin the good out of this. Hey..... his ERA was 4.21 last year. Like being a minute late to the party and all that is left is smoke in the room.

Edited by h2oface, 11 December 2012 - 12:18 AM.

#8 Big Daddy H

Big Daddy H

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Kevin Coreia pitched some nice games when he was with the Giants. He pitched better last year then the year before. A new setting and a pitching friendly park may be just the ticket. He also may be learning how to be a better pitcher as many aging pitchers do. I cannot believe he will be as bad as Blackburn. What pitches does he throw, and at what speed? I think this should be at least part of the discussion.

#9 Big Daddy H

Big Daddy H

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

You guys must really not like Terry Ryan and Kevin Correia. I post a positive note on Correia and it's gone in less then a minute. Simply amazing!

#10 Big Daddy H

Big Daddy H

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

The 32-year-old, who had a 51.2 percent ground-ball rate, which ranked tied for seventh in the National League.

#11 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

You guys must really not like Terry Ryan and Kevin Correia. I post a positive note on Correia and it's gone in less then a minute. Simply amazing!

I think something is glitching on the site. I could only get the comments to come up if I entered here from the forum. If I clicked on the "read more...." at the end of the intro on the front page......... there were no comments on any of the articles just now. I can see your misguided "positive" comment just fine from here. ;-)

Edited by h2oface, 11 December 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#12 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

Day and Night TR talks....each word more useless then the next.... give me cancer now god!

#13 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Alcohol Infused

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

Loved this article, great way to spin the signing. Really liked the way you came at the Correia signing. GOODNESS! (your article, not the signing)

#14 SpantheMan

SpantheMan

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Do you really think that Blackburn is a better option? I definitely agree with some of the others but really? Blackburn?

#15 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

I guess this is Terry's way of killing the fans excitement over the two trades he made to add what could be good pitching???

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

Is 6:30am too early to start drinking or to late to stop?

#17 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

Is 6:30am too early to start drinking or to late to stop?

I think the answer is *No* to both.

#18 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Terry Ryan just doesnt get it! I cant wait for the presser when TR says he signed a nice guy and a winner!

Time for a major change at the top. Terry's solid trades will never be enough to offset his stupid free agent mistakes and pitch to contact philosophy.

#19 twinkiesfan11

twinkiesfan11

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

I think a lot of you are overreacting to this signing.

1. The pitch to contact, soft tossing comments are getting really old. Ryan just traded for three pitchers who don't fit this mold to varying degrees, it's obvious he's trying to find some guys who can strike people out.
2. Whining about the contract is a little premature until we see how the market treats the rest of the available pitching. There have been some bloated ass contracts handed out all winter, this could look somewhat reasonable in another week or two.
3. Blackburn is NOT a better option, he's completely imploded for two years in a row. They can't count on him for anything and any contribution he makes going forward should be considered an unexpected bonus.

I'll admit, Kevin Correia was the LAST guy I wanted to see them sign this offseason. But if he's being brought aboard to chew some innings to keep Gibson's innings down and give Hendricks, Meyer and May more time to develop while the team won't be competitive anyway, I'm ok with it. Maybe he'll do well enough to generate some trading deadline interest and TR can flip him for another diamond in the rough C prospect.

#20 kirbyelway

kirbyelway

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

I would just let Blackburn be the #5 guy instead of wasting $ on this!!!

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

The 32-year-old, who had a 51.2 percent ground-ball rate, which ranked tied for seventh in the National League.

You say that like it's a good thing. The Twins play in a flyball friendly park and possibly have the worst infield defense in the league. Groundball pitchers for the Twins are going to get eaten alive in 2013. Unearned runs will lose you games just as often as earned runs, this defense needs strikeout pitchers and this guy is the exact opposite of that.

#22 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

You just suggested that the Twins are not cheap. Would you like to offer evidence of that? Yes, that is a Covey story. This is a terrible signing. There is no paradigm shift fans could make to view this through a different lens that leads to a different conclusion. I am willing to listen/read if someone has one.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

The Twins play in a flyball friendly park and possibly have the worst infield defense in the league.

*cough*Detroit Tigers*cough*

#24 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,722 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Oh, what I'd give to know what unsuccessful offers the Twins have made.

Did they simply misread the market and fail to open the checkbook when middle-tier pitchers were signing early or are pitchers really that adverse to signing in Minnesota? Are they now just desperate? Are they trying to keep the payroll below $85 million.

How I wish I knew what was really going on here.

#25 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

''We want the kind of pitchers we haven't had enough of," Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "Pitchers who can miss bats."

Worley and Correia?

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

The Twins play in a flyball friendly park and possibly have the worst infield defense in the league.

*cough*Detroit Tigers*cough*

Well you got me there. At least their GM understands pitch-to-contact arms don't work well with a terrible defense and employ four starters with a K/9 of +7.5.

#27 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

It might just be the best that the Twins will be able to attract this season. We have to wait and see how the non-tenders pan out (hell, Humber signed for less than a million, you could have had Francis and Marquis for $3 million each, Pavano is shaking the trees for $3 million). At this rate, though, I would have made a much better offer to Baker or even reupped him for $9+ million. Are the Twins basically the last resort some players are looking at, along with Houston and Miami? We should still be on par or above THE ROYALS. The money is there. There is enough to get two starters and a bonafide infielder. And we managed to trade for a few studs (not all ready yet). I think our biggest gripe is that not only will we eat Blackburns $5.5 million this year as wasted money, but do the same in 2014 with Correia, who will just be a place filler. Is he a bad pitcher? Our offense and defense will make that decision. But if we are going to WASTE -- and that's the magic word "WASTE" -- money signing some free agents, would we, as fans, rather see the Twins spend nothing at all.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

[quote name='nicksaviking'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='nicksaviking']The Twins play in a flyball friendly park and possibly have the worst infield defense in the league.[/QUOTE]

*cough*Detroit Tigers*cough*[/QUOTE]

Well you got me there. At least their GM understands pitch-to-contact arms don't work well with a terrible defense and employ four starters with a K/9 of +7.5.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

Right now, the 2013 Twins are still probably a better team than the 2012 Twins... By one or two games.

Sigh. I don't understand what Ryan was thinking with this "acquisition".

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

I would have rather had Pavano at that price, and Pavano's not deluded enough to think he's going to get a two year deal.

The worst part about this deal is, unlike Marquis, with that 2nd year attached, no way will the Twins DFA him in June if he's getting lit up and a minor leaguer is kicking down the door ready for his chance. He's probably untradeable as well unless the Twins eat most of his contract.

So the rotation thus far: Worley, Diamond, Correia, Hendriks, Gibson. Assuming the Twins DO sign another FA starter, Hendricks or Gibson are starting in Rochester or the pen. What happens if everyone stays healthy and the odd man out pitches lights out and deserves a rotation spot? Do the Twins really have it in them to toss their new $10 million starter in the bullpen that quickly? Doubt it. No move would have been better than this move.

#30 eagle

eagle

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Can we outright him to AAA to add depth to our farm system? Seriously, how is he any better than Walters. Swarzak, Devries, etc? I've been on board with TR's moves up to this point. If you've decided 2013 is a wash, then don't make this move. If you want to go for it in a division that isn't deep, there are ample opportunities to grab a #2 and spend some money. But don't play the band aid approach as you are wasting your owner's money and fans time.