Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins To Sign RHP Kevin Correia

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...P-Kevin-Correia

#2 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

Gross. At least he'll be gone in two years.

ERA+ of 68, 78, 88 the last three years. An impressive pattern, but terrible regardless.

Edited by Brad Swanson, 10 December 2012 - 10:05 PM.
Adding more hatred

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

This is a complete and utter waste of 10 million dollars. Good god.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Tweeted by Parker: [COLOR=#333333]Last 3 years: Correia 4.66 xFIP, 13.9% K%, 1.23 HR/9. Guthrie 4.66 xFIP, 13.7% K%, 1.22 HR/9.[/COLOR]

#5 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super friend

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Kinda pissed, but with the realization that this is the Twins Org., why even get animated with these fated, tepid moves?

#6 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

He's just there to throw his 350 innings until Meyer/May/Wimmers/Hermsen are ready. I get he's not great... or good... but the club got someone to (hopefully) eat innings without paying a ton.

I feel like Seth looking for the positive in this signing.

#7 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Criminy. I can understand signing him - barely. But 2 years?

#8 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Tweeted by Parker: [COLOR=#333333]Last 3 years: Correia 4.66 xFIP, 13.9% K%, 1.23 HR/9. Guthrie 4.66 xFIP, 13.7% K%, 1.22 HR/9.[/COLOR]

There is no need to drag metrics into this crime scene. It is gory enough the way it is. I find it some what funny that you threw your business partner and colleague under the bus on this one. LOL!

#9 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

I really hoped we wouldn't sign this scrub. And 2 years!!! Disgusting...

#10 SirLoin

SirLoin

• Members
  • 110 posts

I'm ok with this....as long as he's the 5th starter. Hopefully there's one more starter on the horizon.

#11 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Jason Marquis all over again!

#12 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

We're punting 2013. We're simply taking a knee in 2014. Here we come 2015!

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

What is the point of this?
Lighten up Francis....

#14 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

They could have signed him in January for $1.5M plus incentives for only 1 season not 2. If they can waste $5M/YR only him go out and throw 3YR $40M at Edwin Jackson and call it a rotation.

#15 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Not happy about this. His ERA is not great, his FIP is not great. But...whatever, he is a 4-5 starter. Unless they surprise me, its clear the Twins are rebuilding this year. Just get some warm bodies to keep Gibson in AAA and wait for 2014.

I am glad I didn't go in on season tickets this year. I loved the trades and they were the right thing to do. However, to not spend money and go after some of the top line FA pitchers is just a big 'ol shame. Mauer's career is wasted. MAYBE he gets a chance to play for something in the 2015 - 2016 years. But the reality is he will be a great player on a ****ty team for at least the next 2-3 years.

I think its time to consider trading Mauer to Boston and let him play for rings and a HOF career instead of languishing on Terry Ryan's penny pinched roster.

#16 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

2-years, $10 million for this bum. I just don't understand why we refuse to go after a good free agent pitcher. Ryan had the fan base believing after two real good trades and then goes and does something like this. I mean this guy makes Jason Marquis look like Cy Young. I think we all have to start thinking on another level like the Twins. Every single move they make is about saving money. Nothing more and nothing less.

#17 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

It is VERY Jason Marquis all over again. I don't understand the 2-year part of this the most. Consider this: the Twins are FORTUNATE to be getting rid of Blackburn's salary after 2013. And . . .WHAT DO THEY DO . . . they sign Blackburn 2 to a two-year deal so that B2 makes almost the same amount in 2014 as B1 is going to make in 2013. Think about this lunacy for a second. That is just a dumb use of money. If Terry Ryan was told that there was simply no way that Jackson, Marcum, or Dempster would sign with the Twins, then fine . . . but in that case don't then spend like this, but find 2-3 guys to sign on minor league deals. Go big (for the Twins, the above three would be big) or go home.

#18 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

We're punting 2013. We're simply taking a knee in 2014. Here we come 2015!

Yeah, pendulum shifting back. Span trade moved it toward punting. Revere trade back toward not punting. This ridiculous signing definitely moves is back toward punting 2013.

#19 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

He did not have balk in 2012. The new moneyball.

Sorry, it's all I got...seems like we could have given someone from last year these innings. Or maybe Aaron Hicks. Or Drew Butera.

Edited by Alex, 10 December 2012 - 10:36 PM.

#20 bmillz1324

bmillz1324

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

"[COLOR=#3e3e3e]Best case scenario, he can find a way to be just about league average in 2013 and the Twins can trade him for a C-level prospect in July."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#3e3e3e]Not a huge fan of this signing, but I don't think the best case scenario is we're selling a league average pitcher in July. If he's league average I think we'll need him to make the playoffs...:)[/COLOR]

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Gleeman said he has the lowest strikeout rate of any RH over some period. What is Ryan doing? How do you sign this guy for 2 years and that much money? At least I know I won't have to spend money on the Twins this year, or probably next either.
Lighten up Francis....

#22 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

The Twins better hope for a mega-breakout from Liam Hendriks this year or else the entire rotation is composed of 3s and 5s until Gibson's limited innings.

#23 Legend of the Arctic

Legend of the Arctic

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Words cannot express how awful this move is.

I get that the Twins aren't going to contend in 2013. They need an innings eater. Fine. But why the #*$^ would they sign Correia to two years? Are they writing off 2014 as well? And $5 million per year?

Correia on a minor league deal for one year would be an okay move. Not great, not good, but okay. Two years and $10 million makes me question Terry Ryan's sanity.

#24 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Two years? He will have to be awful for the Twins to give someone else his spot in the rotation. Meanwhile, they are delaying finding the longer term solution. I would prefer giving Hendriks and Gibson an extended shot this year. And sign someone like Lannon or Jurrjens.

Best case, his ERA and peripherals look good enough to flip for a prospect in July.

Second best, he is awful and the Twins send him the way of a Jason Marquis.

Worst case, he is mediocre and unwanted in any trade but not awful enough for the Twins to give the ball to someone else. In 2014, he takes starts a way from a young pitcher.

Though I am sure his agent was saying otherwise, I doubt any other team was offering the second year.

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I'm sure like most GMs, Ryan misguidedly fell in love with his groundball rate, while simultaniously forgetting his infield defense is awful and this bum lets everyone make contact. Sounds like Ryan was bidding against a Japanese team, Correia must have really been a hot commodity.

#26 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super friend

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

At best Correia can be Pavano 2010 - 2011 and at worst Blackburn 2012 - current. So, with a lot of luck, good defense (did I say luck), and catchers that can frame pitches, he could pitch to a #3 level, but likely we only hope for a solid #5 with an ERA no higher than 4.75 this season and sub 5 next.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#27 Legend of the Arctic

Legend of the Arctic

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Why does Terry Ryan always have to follow a good move with an awful one? Last year he signed Josh Willingham... then ruined all that good will by bringing in Jason Marquis.

Signing Correia officially ruins all the good feelings I had from the Revere trade. Correia is - by all objective measures - one of the worst pitchers in Major League Baseball. And the Twins get to pay him $5 million apiece for two years. Horrible.

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

For all of you pooh-poohing Joe Saunders: this signing isn't even Joe Saunders.

#29 Legend of the Arctic

Legend of the Arctic

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

At best Correia can be Pavano 2010 - 2011 and at worst Blackburn 2012 - current. So, with a lot of luck, good defense (did I say luck), and catchers that can frame pitches, he could pitch to a #3 level, but likely we only hope for a solid #5 with an ERA no higher than 4.75 this season and sub 5 next.

I really think a "solid #5" is too much to hope for. Over the last three years, the only starting pitcher with a WAR lower than Correia's 0.8 is Nick Blackburn (0.5). His home run rate was almost average last year, but in 2011 it was 1.40, which is high even compared to the Twins cadre of gopherballers. Correia gives up way too many hits, and his strikeout rates are about as pathetic as Pavano's.

I cannot believe how utterly stupid this move was; signing Correia to a one year, MLB minimum deal would've been a questionable move. Giving him an extra year and $5 million per season is sheer insanity.

#30 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Basically a Blackburn clone. I don't get it. I realize we have money to spend, but I'd rather have had almost anyone else, even Lannan. I'd rather have spent $10 million on Marcum than on both Correia and Lannan combined.