Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins 6, Tigers 2: Pineda Pitches 7 Innings, Twins Take 4 of 5

twins win twins vs tigers michael pineda byron buxton ryan jeffers
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,952 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:31 PM

given he scored without a throw, it almost certainly wasn't close.

Also, Rosario initially slowed up into 2nd, and then restarted when he saw Rooker going home, so he wasn't trailing Rooker closely.

Guy didn't look toward home which may or may not have been his teammates yelling to take the more likely out at third.I didn't see Rodario slowing up into 2nd. At that pointhe was probably watching to see if Rooker was going to try for home and it is still reasonable for him to think there might be a play at the plate. In this isolated case there may very likely have been no value in drawing the throw.If Eddie thought there was a chance of a play at the plate then it is defensible.He just guessed wrong. 

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#22 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,952 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:34 PM

If almost any other Twins player had gotten thrown out the way that Rosario did today, we probably wouldn't be discussing it at all. The problem is that this has become a pattern for him throughout his career, and he doesn't seem to have gotten any smarter about baserunning than when he was a rookie. I'm not sure if there are any stats for this, but Rosie has got to be near the top of the league in getting thrown out on the bases. It's great when he gets clutch hits and makes exciting plays, but he just can't help himself when it comes to taking stupid risks. Like him or not, there's no arguing that this kind of stuff takes away from his overall value as a ballplayer.

It is very true but he is also probably pretty high on the list of scoring runs unexpectedly.. On balance I would prefer he be a little more cautious. Just a little.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#23 ToddlerHarmon

ToddlerHarmon

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 145 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:18 PM

Is this the beginning of Wade's grooming into an eventual Marwin replacement? any history of him in the infield?

#24 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,695 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:38 PM

I love you guys.  That Wade highlight got copied three times in comments about Rosario, with nary a mention.  What a sweet pick.  

Rosario is like a character in a Major Leagues type movie.  Whatever he does, good or bad, he's the dose of chaos this team needs.

• mikelink45 likes this

#25 Aichiman

Aichiman

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 65 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:40 PM

Why did our manager put Rogers in to pitch the 9th with a four run lead?We've got a double header tomorrow. 

#26 Otwins

Otwins

• 497 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 11:18 PM

He was already warmed up before Buxton hit the home run to make it a four run lead. Looking through the bullpen usage chart I am not sure what other option he had.

• wabene and Aichiman like this

#27 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,785 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:33 AM

love Pineda and Jeffers and Wade and Rooker - give me the young guys to go with this older pitching leader.

Gimme Jeffers over Garver any day.

#28 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,785 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:36 AM

I must take exception, Andrew, to your comment..."Eddie Rosario made a stupid base running mistake that likely cost the Twins runs early in the game." And to be honest, I am surprised that a writer at Twins Daily would make such a comment.

Yes, like most of us I cringed when Eddie was caught short of third getting into a run down for a second straight day. But then I listened to Justin Morneau explaining how the situation developed. Rosario was slowing as he approached second, at which time he saw Diaz waiving the runner ahead of him home. With the throw likely going home, it made sense to get to third with only one out.

Yes, the outfielder threw to third and Rosie was caught in the run down. But Justin certainly didn't seem to think it was a bad decision. When the camera showed Rosario getting to the dugout his teammates also didn't seem to appear to think it was stupid as they patted him on the back and gave him high 5's.

Absolutely agree with everything you said here. At worst it was a "questionable baserunning decision" or "got burned for being overaggressive".

Sportswriters don't call people "stupid", it's insulting and frankly pretty offensive to read. Game threads might use that language in the moment from commenters, but you don't write that kind of stuff in the wraps.

#29 Linus

Linus

• 2,515 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:08 AM

What a pleasure to watch Pineda pound the strike zone. I like Rocco but haven’t figured him out. He has been ultra careful with his starters but let’s Pineda throw a hundred pitches in his second live start. I know there is a reason but not obvious to me.

#30 Trov

Trov

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 608 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:36 AM

Lets not forget Pineda was once a top prospect.Injuries really derailed his career early on.If he can stay healthy he shows he can be a good pitcher.Maybe not an Ace, but very good.If he keeps looking this good I bet he will be top 2 pitcher in post season, and we could have a very good top 3 rotation.  

#31 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 588 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:24 AM

Very pleased that Pineda hasn`t showed hardly any rust & has pitched very well out of the gate. Hopefully Rogers will pitch wellthe remaining season

#32 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,330 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:01 PM

In case anybody missed it.

All I can say for certain is that Dick was beginning to say "Rooker will score" as the cutoff man received the throw. That leads me to believe there wasn't any chance of a close play at the plate, but there's not any video of where Rooker was in relation to when that ball came in from the outfield.

But the way Dick reacts to any pop fly you'd think it was going into the 3rd deck, so who knows about how close it could have been with Rooker had they not thrown Eddie out at 3rd?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#33 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,330 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

Lets not forget Pineda was once a top prospect. Injuries really derailed his career early on. If he can stay healthy he shows he can be a good pitcher. Maybe not an Ace, but very good. If he keeps looking this good I bet he will be top 2 pitcher in post season, and we could have a very good top 3 rotation.

For sure, Pineda is #2 in my mind right now, with Berrios #1 and probably Maeda #3. Berrios and Pineda give us the best chance to limit the bullpen usage down to the best couple of guys when they pitch. Not that it will happen every time, but they have that chance to go deep into games.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins win, twins vs tigers, michael pineda, byron buxton, ryan jeffers