Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

LA Dodgers trade partner?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

With the Dodgers about to sign Zack Greinke to a 6 YR deal and possibly beating the deadline to sign Ryu Hyun-Jinthe Dodgers would have 8 starting pitchers on their roster. Chris Capuano, Aaron Harang and Ted Lilly would be available in a trade.

Ted Lilly 2013 $12M
Aaron Harang 2013 $7M, with 2014 mutual option between $7M and $8M ($2M buyout)
Chris Capuano 2013 $6M, 2014 $8M mutual option ($1M buyout)

I would prefer Capuano to the other 2 pitchers. If the Twins could add Anibal Sanchez to a long term contract they could have a very good rotation once again. Just think of the following rotation and tell me that they would not be on the road to being contenders.
1. Anibal Sanchez
2. Scott Diamond
3. Chris Capuano
4. Vance Worley
5. Liam Hendricks, Kyle Gibson or another FA Brett Myers?

Overpay for Sanchez and get Capuano and you could be near the top of the AL Central. I know Diamond is not a #2 but with budget limitations you have to make due with what you have.

Edited by darin617, 08 December 2012 - 08:18 PM.
forgot something

#2 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Dodgers and free agent right-hander Zack Greinke have reached agreement on a six-year, $147 million contract.

It's only pending a physical. The $24.5 million average annual value of Greinke's new deal is the richest any pitcher has ever received. The Dodgers' 2013 payroll now sits over $225 million, making it the highest in MLB history. Greinke will slot in as the No. 2 starter in Los Angeles, behind staff ace Clayton Kerhsaw.
Related: Dodgers

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

#3 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Ok, you have me interested but what do you propose we ship back to the Dodgers in the trade for Capuano? Think they want Carroll back? I don't think they have a need for Morneau any more at first base. Minor leaguers?

#4 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Screw the Doyers!

#5 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

They are spending a lot of money and I don't know if they are going to be that much better. When you start with Kemp and Kershaw, it really shouldn't take much to move into an elite team, but I'm not sure the money they are spending is well placed.

#6 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,214 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

They are spending a lot of money and I don't know if they are going to be that much better. When you start with Kemp and Kershaw, it really shouldn't take much to move into an elite team, but I'm not sure the money they are spending is well placed.

It will be interesting to see how well they do next year. Will money be able to buy a championship?

#7 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

The Yankees spent a lot of money over a long time with a very checkered success rate. It appears that the Dodgers are on the same track. The money can hide a lot of the mistakes.

#8 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Since the Dodgers are spending like drunken sailors, maybe they could use Morneau to DH those 10 interleague games they play on the road. Seems a value for $14M.

#9 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

At this rate the Tigers are going to have to give Verlander 5/250 when he's due. Good grief!

If this is where the rate is set for the front line market, hello John Lannan.

#10 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

If the Dodgers were really high on Willingham and low on Crawford, might they be interested in a trade. I don't see any other player on the Twins roster that presents an upgrade for the Dodgers.

For it to be worth the Twins while, they would have to get at least two of those pitchers in return, I think.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

I'd be fine with it if they didn't have to give up anything to get him (like they guy got for Danny Valencia for instance)... But trading real prospects to get starting pitching now doesn't make a ton of sense.

#12 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

How about Doumit for Capuano. They could use him as a utility player. You know Crawford is going to miss some time

#13 freightmaster

freightmaster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Ever heard of the Yankees?

#14 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Probably wouldn't take all that much for Harang or Capuano. I expect the Dodgers would be pleased just to shed the salary. Along those lines, maybe a bullpen arm like Duensing or Slama might be enough.

#15 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

I would be fine with picking up any of the 3 as salary relief for the Dodgers. they fix the back of the rotation but the Twins also need to pick up a better starter and those could disappear fast.

#16 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

A) Forget about Sanchez--not coming to MN. If LA wants to trade--they will be making the calls for what they want. The TX boards were "certain" they were going to sign Grienke and Hamilton! Hamilton was "considering his options". Actually think of a $170MM payroll? I wasn't aware they generated even close to that amount even with 3.5MM tickets sold. Since we haven't read of any free agent pitching signing with the Twins--I'm guessing that every offer was "pocket-vetoed". But wait! Hamilton was rumored to be thinking both Seattle and Texas--one of these teams just might get interested in Morneau--and both have excess pitchers. IDK if Willingham could function at 1B, but I'm guessing at least as well as a LF if Morneau gets traded--then the OF gets young and fast!

#17 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

Ok, you have me interested but what do you propose we ship back to the Dodgers in the trade for Capuano? Think they want Carroll back? I don't think they have a need for Morneau any more at first base. Minor leaguers?

If they want some minor leaguers then a trade is possible. I don't think the Twins should really be interested much in Capuano. He's a below average pitcher who hasn't pitched outside the NL. 92+ERA the past 3 seasons.

#18 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

I can't WAIT for the Dodgers to crash and burn, they already wasted a ton of money last year to only miss the playoffs, now handing out an absurd contract to Greinke? looool. As far as the scrubs they have at the back end? pass, unless they want to give them away for nothing. (I would go after Billingsley in a heart beat though!

Also FWIW: Magic Johnson is a terrible businessman... how do I know? He originally owned the 5 year old building I currently live in, he went bankrupt within 16 months and it was sold for pennies on the dollars to a new ownere and they turned everything into rentals, now the owners make a real nice profit year over year. Also, his line of Magic Johnson Movie Theaters (like 100+ nation wide) went bankrupt as well recently.

#19 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

trying to be nice......
but anyone who even suggests that the Twins might sign a longterm free agent pitcher has to be asked "Have you ever followed this team before?"
Now to the actual question......Ryan will trade, but not for a pitcher with a longterm deal. What do the Twins have to offer back??? Its not Mauer, so stop with that. Their OF is stacked & they have a 1B already. So while MN might want some of LAs pitchers.....we have nothing but prospect to offer back & I wouldnt for that collection. Now Zach Lee....Id listen

#20 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

The Yankees spent a lot of money over a long time with a very checkered success rate. It appears that the Dodgers are on the same track. The money can hide a lot of the mistakes.

If 5 championships and 7 WS appearances in a span of less than 15 years is "checkered" I'll take it.

#21 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

New way to figure out a starting pitcher's free agent salary. At least $1 million per victory in heir win column. Does that seem logical. Will it soon be $1 million for every game that they start on the mound? Somehow, that doesn't compute. Next we will have $40 million dollar closers!
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#22 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

If 5 championships and 7 WS appearances in a span of less than 15 years is "checkered" I'll take it.

You may not be old enough to remember the 1980 to 1995 period where they spent a ton of money with virtually nothing to show for it. Sorry, I should have been more specific with my comparison.

#23 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

The only one that is interesting at all is Capuano. I wonder what more than, say, Swarzak, would be necessary for the Dodgers to bite. Capuano would not be a terrible $6 million investment and there is a mutual option or $1 million buyout. Obviously, I would hope that comes in addition to Jackson or Marcum (one has to think Sanchez to the Rangers, right?). The dominoes are probably Greinke (done), Sanchez, Lohse, Dempster, Jackson and Marcum. Texas, Boston, and Milwaukee will seem to get the first three, respectively.

#24 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

I can't think that they would want much, but I wonder if MLB-ready functional players like Swarzak, Florimon (if the Ds trade Gordon, esp), or Burnett would work. It's a salary dump for the Dodgers anyway.

#25 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

First off, I agree A. Sanchez is unrealistic. Marcum or E. Jax more likely. Interesting topic though, the Dodgers will have to move some SP's. It comes back to the question of what we would have to offer them. I wouldn't give any prospects up for Capuano, Harang or Lilly. The Dodgers probably don't need any salary relief the way they're spending, but how about this scenario...We trade Willingham for Capuano and Carl Crawford and have the Dodgers pick up 10-mil of his salary for the rest of the deal. We get better defensively and we get a top of the order bat which we are currently missing. Starting rotation for 2013: Marcum, Capuano, Worely, Diamond, Hendricks/Gibson. That's a tremendous upgrade over the last 2 seasons. Lineup:
Crawford LF
Hicks CF
Mauer C
Morneau 1B
Doumit DH
Plouffe 3B
Parmalee RF
Dozier 2B
Floriman SS
We're missing the power of Willingham, but we're much better defensively and on the mound. Crawford is a risk but I think this is workable once he builds his value back up, the Twins could flip him at the trade deadline.

#26 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

That said, I would be more willing to keep Willingham and sign 2 F/A pitchers. As I said, Marcum is a guy I would target and I'd offer 3 years or, 2 years with an option. The risk in doing my above deal with the Dodgers is too great because Crawford is such a big gamble. If we signed Marcum for the top of the rotation, I'm still somewhat intrigued by guys like Pelfry, Jurrjens, and Saunders. Take Crawford out of the lineup and slot Willingham back in at cleanup (still not sure who hits leadoff or #2) but the Twins would have a staff of Marcum, Diamond, Worley, (Saunders, Pelfry, Jurrjens, Hendricks/Gibson). Having Willingham's power in the lineup makes this a better option.

#27 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Why in the world are we bringing Crawford into this? If Willingham is traded it should be for a good prospect or two. The Twins don't need 31 yr old OF'ers that are expensive (even if the Dodgers paid half).

The deal that should be made is a marginal prospect for one of their extra starters that the Twins can slot in the #4/5 spot and stop the bleeding.

#28 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Carl Crawford???

#29 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

I can see the Twins trade for Campuano as we tried to sign him last offseason. his contract is reasonable, The Twins would probably be willing to give up less than other teams for him as we are going to keep our top prospects. I would think a bullpen arm (Swarak, Robertson, Fien, or Burnett), or 15+ ranked prospect or 2

Here's a thought. Would we trade a top prospect if they inluded Dee Gordon SS in the trade?

Edited by Brandon, 09 December 2012 - 10:47 AM.
add idea of dee gordon to post

#30 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hopefully the Twins stay away form Liriano and bring in at least 2 decent arms.
Would you sign Sanchez to a 6YR $90M deal?