Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Dempster Turns Down 2-Year Offer; Would You Go To 3?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,309 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

[quote name='mike wants wins'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='Shane Wahl']I would offer three years to Dempster if he is still around after Sanchez, Jackson, and Marcum. If the Twins really miss out on all four . . .[/QUOTE]

At that point, you need to overpay just to get somebody. I hope Ryan is smart enough to know that he doesn't want to be left in that position (and I think he is).

As for Jackson, I haven't heard anything on him yet, which I find odd. Behind Greinke and Sanchez, he's probably the guy I'd want most on my team. Unspectacular, but young and consistent.[/QUOTE]

Explain to me why it matters? If they won't pay going rates, and they won't overpay, why would it matter if they have payroll flexibility at all? They have $25MM to spend, plus another $25MM next year, plus Morneau's contract likely coming off the book. How would signing two legit MLB players right now hurt them in 2014 or 2015, when virtually the whole roster will be near minimum wage players?[/QUOTE]

You misunderstand me. I hope they don't end up with only Dempster left on the market with 4-5 teams bidding for his (in all likelihood) lackluster services. I'd prefer they stay in the mix earlier with some of the better pitchers on the market like Jackson, Sanchez, and Marcum than underbid on those guys and then get stuck with overpaying for the old, declining guy.

#32 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

We have several prospects on the way with Gibson, Hendriks, May, Barrios, and Meyer to go along with Diamond and Worley. I think it would be better and safer to sign someone on a 1 or 2 year deal then it is to clog up the spots for all of these guys with potentially over the hill pitchers. I think we can get solid talent that allows us to stay competetive in the short run while we develop these pitchers and whoever we draft this year. I would rather sign Brett Myers to a 2 year contract and another pitcher for a 1 year deal. A 3 year deal for Marcum, Sanchez, or Edwin Jackson makes sense. There's not much left I would sign to a 3 year at this point.

#33 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Ah, yes, I did misunderstand you Brock. Sorry. I agree with you.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#34 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,859 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

I would offer three years to Dempster if he is still around after Sanchez, Jackson, and Marcum. If the Twins really miss out on all four . . .

According to what I saw on Quick Hits: Liriano, Twins, Dickey, Phillies, Dempster: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com Dempster would prefer an NL team and one that does spring training in Arizona. We really need to cross him off the list for discussion purposes.

#35 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

ESPN's Jim Bowden reports that if the Dodgers are unable to sign Ryu Hyun-Jin, they'll shift their attention to Anibal Sanchez.

Even after agreeing to terms with the top free agent pitcher on the market, it appears the Dodgers might go after arguably the second-best hurler. Sanchez is said to be looking for a six-year deal in the $90 million range, and if anyone is willing to give him that much, it's probably the Dodgers.

#36 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

Yup, we're getting priced out of this in a hurry. Dodgers gobble up both of these it only brings more suitors to Marcum and Jackson. I said it before and I'll say it again, we're going to regret balking at the early pricetags.

#37 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

3/33 - Marcum
4/44 - Jackson
5/75 - Sanchez

I would be happy with any of those and think they are all reasonable. After last season, I would think Jackson would jump at that. We was hoping for 3/30 last year and settled for 1/10, I think.

#38 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

With Greinke off the board...

Sanchez... Jackson or Marcum... Does anyone really care if the Twins go off the deep end salary wise.

I don't care what they pay right now... If Jackson wants 15 a year... I don't care... The Twins have the money and they got to land someone.

Outbidding the other teams in free agency is how it works.

Years... Sanchez wants 7... Dempster wants 3... I don't care... They got to land someone.

I'm worried we have stopped fishing in the walleye lake and are going after panfish exclusively right now. Or more accurately... We never did go to the Walleye Lake... Just kinda drove by it and thought it look to crowded.

I think the analogy might work differently. For instance, in my view panfish (sunfish) taste better than walleye. So that might be what the Twins are trying to do--get the smaller deal with the better taste. They shouldn't do that. One puts walleyes on the wall, not panfish.

#39 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

Marcum may be looking for 4 or 5 years at bigger money.

Where on earth are you getting that from?

Informed guess, like most of the speculation around here. He's 30 years old, I'm sure his agent is selling him as someone who should be getting a 4 or 5 year deal rather than 2 or 3. Hell, most people around here are of the opinion that Marcum is a better pitcher than Dempster, so why wouldn't he be looking for more years & more money?

#40 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Informed guess, like most of the speculation around here. He's 30 years old, I'm sure his agent is selling him as someone who should be getting a 4 or 5 year deal rather than 2 or 3. Hell, most people around here are of the opinion that Marcum is a better pitcher than Dempster, so why wouldn't he be looking for more years & more money?

he's not going to get 4 or 5 years (unless things just get stupid on all of the contracts) because he is injured every year. He should make good money each season but I can't see anyone giving him more than 3 yrs because of the injury risk.

#41 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

With Greinke off the board...

Sanchez... Jackson or Marcum... Does anyone really care if the Twins go off the deep end salary wise.

I don't care what they pay right now... If Jackson wants 15 a year... I don't care... The Twins have the money and they got to land someone.

Outbidding the other teams in free agency is how it works.

Years... Sanchez wants 7... Dempster wants 3... I don't care... They got to land someone.

I'm worried we have stopped fishing in the walleye lake and are going after panfish exclusively right now. Or more accurately... We never did go to the Walleye Lake... Just kinda drove by it and thought it look to crowded.

The Trophy Pickerel is off the board, the only big one left to me is Sanchez, don't think he's going to be worth the price the bait will cost now. Jackson and Marcum are Northern's at best and Dempster is merely a channel cat.

Northern's aren't too hard to catch, but you need to have a rod in the water with the right lure, the former might be true for TR but likely not the latter.

#42 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Northerns go after shiny things... So the Twins should... Are we still talking about Pitching?

#43 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

Northerns go after shiny things... So the Twins should... Are we still talking about Pitching?

I think so?