Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Spring Training - Game 11 - vs TB - 3/12/12

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

Twins head to Port Charlotte to play the Rays yet again... Here's the lineup with a rare Joe Mauer sighting on the road in spring training! Ben Revere CF Brian Dozier SS Joe Mauer DH Chris Parmelee 1B Ryan Doumit C Trevor Plouffe LF Sean Burroughs 3B Luke Hughes 2B Rene Tosoni RF Pitching: Carl Pavano, Jason Bulger, Scott Diamond, Phil Dumatrait, Liam Hendriks, Glen Perkins, Tyler Robertson, Daryl Thompson Bench: Danny Lehmann, Danny Rams, Chris Herrmann, Aaron Bates, Ray Chang, Mike Hollimon, Oswaldo Arcia, Darin Mastroianni

#2 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

Denard Span is out with a stiff neck again. Span is becoming a Stiff............Ever since the Twins bought out his arbitration years he has been injured. Phil Mackey keeps telling everybody his contract is very managable and dirt cheap. I would agree with that statement if Span played more than 80 games a year. He has been as injury prone as Mauer & Morneau over the last seasons. Imagine that, this is when he signed his 4-year contract!! Starting to think the Twins missed their chance to unload him to Washington for an elite reliever like Drew Storen. I was against the trade but at some point you have to show some heart and play through some aches and soreness. I still think Ben Revere will be a very good player and should be in CF. Span is coddled by Gardy and Revere just shows up to play anywhere with a smile on his face.

Edited by Fanatic Jack, 12 March 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

How many regular season games has Span missed with injury in 2012?

#4 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

Jason Bulger on the hill today attempting to get his ERA sub-70.00...

#5 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Seth, The season has not started yet. Span missed 101 games over the last two years. He played hurt during the second half of 2010 and deserves credit for being tough. However, I bet Revere won't ask for a day off or miss time due to injuries.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Seth,

The season has not started yet. Span missed 101 games over the last two years. He played hurt during the second half of 2010 and deserves credit for being tough. However, I bet Revere won't ask for a day off or miss time due to injuries.

Not sure how to predict if someone will get hurt or not... Revere has missed time for various injuries throughout his minor league career too.

#7 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

I've never liked that contract and now it looks even worse. But I'm still optimistic Span will have a good 2012. His injuries last year were legitimate and it's not like he hasn't shown toughness in the past. I dont blame Span for his injuries; I blame the Twins for along term deal in which they got very little discount. Plus, it's spring & Span had looked very aggressive so far. Let's get him healthy.

#8 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

John, Span is a tremendous player when he is healthy and that's a fact. However, sitting out two spring training games because of a stiff neck is pretty funny. Let's be totally honest, Gardenhire has coddled Span, Mauer, and Morneau so much all they have to do is say they are sore and they get a day or two off. No other manager walks through the clubhouse before a game and asks people if they want to play. The great ones (Scioscia, Madden, Leyland, and Ozzie) would never do that. It's time for a change!!

#9 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Jack, Spring training is the time to sit out with minor injuries. You don't want to play through them and turn them into major injuries. I don't really mind your continual doom and gloom/Gardy can't do anything right shik, but you could temper in a little common sense.

#10 mini_tb

mini_tb

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

Denard Span is out with a stiff neck again. Span is becoming a Stiff............Ever since the Twins bought out his arbitration years he has been injured. Phil Mackey keeps telling everybody his contract is very managable and dirt cheap. I would agree with that statement if Span played more than 80 games a year. He has been as injury prone as Mauer & Morneau over the last seasons. Imagine that, this is when he signed his 4-year contract!! Starting to think the Twins missed their chance to unload him to Washington for an elite reliever like Drew Storen. I was against the trade but at some point you have to show some heart and play through some aches and soreness. I still think Ben Revere will be a very good player and should be in CF. Span is coddled by Gardy and Revere just shows up to play anywhere with a smile on his face.

I've also heard that Span kicks small puppies and runs a dog fighting ring.

Yes, Span missed 92 games in 2011, but he played 153 games in 2010 and 145 in 2009. The last time I checked both of those numbers were considered larger than 80.

Note: I might have made up the part about the puppies and dogs, so I could sound as preposterous as Jack.

#11 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

John,

Span is a tremendous player when he is healthy and that's a fact. However, sitting out two spring training games because of a stiff neck is pretty funny. Let's be totally honest, Gardenhire has coddled Span, Mauer, and Morneau so much all they have to do is say they are sore and they get a day or two off. No other manager walks through the clubhouse before a game and asks people if they want to play. The great ones (Scioscia, Madden, Leyland, and Ozzie) would never do that. It's time for a change!!

While I agree Gardy does coddle guys a bit too much, its a double edged sword. How many teams (eg. Det or Bos), have had seasons where they were "supposed" to go really far and just end up getting marred by injuries and destroying their seasons because guys didnt get proper rest.

#12 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

So . . . has the game started?

#13 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

0-0 Dozier has a triple and broken bat single. Pavano has been sharp(very sharp compared to Blackburn's 'sharp' yesterday). Revere has 2 grounders to 2nd, one for a double play.

#14 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Some notes from a friend of mine watching the kids in FM today scrimmage:

Watching the Twins minor leaguers play against each other.

First inning. Goodrum walk and SB. Doesn't score. Kepler grounds out to end inning. Boer and Bashmore pitching. TK barking orders
Grimes single. Rosario fly out. Grimes CS with Sano up.
Sano playing third. Looks big. Has a nice arm.
Grimes error at SS on bad hop. Rosario E at second on bad play. Boer gets K to end inning.
Sano grounds hard to second on 1-2 pitch after TK yells to go up the middle. No score. Bashore looks decent.
Goodrum works another walk. Rosario makes a nice play up the middle for a force out.
R. Jimeniz k's to end inning
Kepler with a nice line drive single to left off of lefty. Good swing.
Kepler SB
Rosario flys out deep into the wind in CF. Sano pops to short. Goodrum looks smooth at short on a ground ball. Saw A. Morales fly out on the field next to me.

Edited by Mr. Ed, 12 March 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#15 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

1-0 Rays. RBI single by Jennings, Revere can't throw the runner out, throw cut off and relayed. Doumit can't throw out Jennings on a pitchout, high throw.

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Some notes from a friend of mine watching the kids in FM today scrimmage:

Watching the Twins minor leaguers play against each other.

First inning. Goodrum walk and SB. Doesn't score. Kepler grounds out to end inning. Boer and Bashmore pitching. TK barking orders
Grimes single. Rosario fly out. Grimes CS with Sano up.
Sano playing third. Looks big. Has a nice arm.
Grimes error at SS on bad hop. Rosario E at second on bad play. Boer gets K to end inning.
Sano grounds hard to second on 1-2 pitch after TK yells to go up the middle. No score. Bashore looks decent.
Goodrum works another walk. Rosario makes a nice play up the middle for a force out.
R. Jimeniz k's to end inning
Kepler with a nice line drive single to left off of lefty. Good swing.
Kepler SB
Rosario flys out deep into the wind in CF. Sano pops to short. Goodrum looks smooth at short on a ground ball. Saw A. Morales fly out on the field next to me.

Thanks for this. Goodrum and Kepler are really intriguing.

#17 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

1-0 Rays. RBI single by Jennings, Revere can't throw the runner out, throw cut off and relayed.

Doumit can't throw out Jennings on a pitchout, high throw.

I want to not hear anymore about Revere playing CF on a regular basis. He has a second baseman's arm and it is a problem with the organization that they never converted him (essentially flopping IF/OF with Plouffe, who is a much more atrocious example of the Twins somehow dropping the ball about defense in the minors)

#18 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Doumit throws out a baserunner in the 4th 1-0 TB Pavano 4IP 3H/R/BB/3K

#19 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

You can always count on Farnsworth to make things interesting.

#20 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hughes scores on infield hit by Revere,throwing error on Farnsworth. Revere stole 2nd and moves to 3rd on another throwing error.

#21 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

How many "A" games has Nishi Played? Is it just wishful thinking or are they really limiting his chances?

#22 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Does anybody know how Rosario looks defensively at 2B since the position change.

#23 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

How many "A" games has Nishi Played? Is it just wishful thinking or are they really limiting his chances?

Strained pinky on left hand. Day to Day.

#24 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Does anybody know how Rosario looks defensively at 2B since the position change.

I asked my friend on the play he made an E, and said it was butchered pretty badly. But he came back with an above avg play later.

#25 Harrison Greeley III

Harrison Greeley III

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Seth,

The season has not started yet. Span missed 101 games over the last two years. He played hurt during the second half of 2010 and deserves credit for being tough. However, I bet Revere won't ask for a day off or miss time due to injuries.

Wow! Sweet cherry picking right here. It beautifully hides the fact that he played 153 games in 2010, the year after he inked the contract.

He had a bad health year in 2011. He's still not yet 100%. But trying to play the 'HE'S NEVER HEALTHY!' card is pretty goofy at this point.

#26 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Perkins 2 hits/walk, fanned Zobrist to end the 5th. Still 1-1.

#27 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Still 1-1 thru sixth. Twins went 1-2-3, Dumatrait a scoreless inning.

#28 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

A few other notes from my friend at FM:

Polanco just made a nice play at SS.
That game just got over. Watching the other one now. Dustin Martin just k's bad off a lefty.

#29 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

Bulger 1-2-3 inning. Lives another day.

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

Based on a pretty solid, extensive track record, there was a pretty good chance that, unless he was hurt, Bulger would be pretty OK.