Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Another one gone

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Tcrose3636

Tcrose3636

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Well, now I am a little disappointed. This is the pitcher that I wanted in the off-season

Brandon McCarthy signs with the Diamondbacks....bummer.

http://www.mlbtrader...n-mccarthy.html

#2 Tcrose3636

Tcrose3636

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

And now I read that it was a 2 year $15.5 million dollar deal....and a little bit more disappointed.

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Well, that is not much money....maybe two other good pitchers will see that and take the Twins offer....still hoping.

#4 Tcrose3636

Tcrose3636

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Yeah I though he would get more (around 10 per year), I would have liked if the Twins went 2/18.

#5 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

This could be both good and bad. I think you could argue that Shaun Marcum isn't that much more valuable than McCarthy. Perhaps the Twins could still get him for 2/18.

#6 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Man, that one stings a little more than the others have so far.

#7 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

Right now, a player is out there asking what you'll give me. I want two years. Will you go a third. Yes or no. Give me a dollar. If you say: "Two years at $12 million" I am not going to say "not enough." I'm going to call up that team that offered me two years at $15 million. You have to put your best offer out there, which means a player gets to call a bluff, or accept what they are really worth.

So right now, for $16 or so million, the Twins could've had Blanton and McCarthy and still have $5 million to play with for a non-tender, and maybe something extra to sign Capps again (no one has mentioned Capps getting any interest).
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#8 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Seriously? The Twins would not go 2 year 16 million on McCarthy?

Face it guys....we arent going to sign a decent pitcher this year....

#9 Big City

Big City

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

And now I read that it was a 2 year $15.5 million dollar deal....and a little bit more disappointed.

That dollar figure tells me there's more background to this story than any of us know because he's been projected to earn at least $10 million per season for that amount of years. Maybe he preferred to stay of the West Coast but the Angels, Dodgers, Padres, or A's weren't interested? In my opinion, this deal is perfect from the Twins standpoint. I was never a big fan of McCarthy's because of his injury history, the average annual salary doesn't inflate the market on comparable SP's, and this takes the Diamondbacks out of the market for a SP. Here's now hoping the Brewers sign Dempster, the Rangers sign Greinke, and the Dodgers sign Lohse. That would leave Anibal Sanchez and Edwin Jackson (my two favorite SP's on the market not named Greinke) and the Twins, Tigers, Royals, and maybe the Blue Jays, Angels, and Red Sox to compete with. Other pitchers still available we might target are Marcum, Villanueva, and Saunders.

I'm not totally punting 2013 even after trading Span and Revere. Although outstanding defensively, Span and Revere brought little to no pop to our lineup. Replace them with Hicks and Parmalee and you could argue our lineup could be better. Now insert Anibal Sanchez, Worley, Diamond, Saunders, Hendricks/Gibson/Deduno/Blackburn and we have a solid not stellar starting rotation. If at the trade deadline we're out of playoff contention we could trade Morneau, Carroll, and Willingham for some good prospects.

#10 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Yes, this one is a bummer. Running out of appealing FA candidates, Mr. Ryan.

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Wait, what? You're not turning in your binoculars and pith helmet yet, are you?

#12 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Shoot, I though McCarthy was one of the more attainable FA on the market. I really don't think we'll get Sanchez or Jackson no matter what we offer.

I would guess we'll end up being stuck with some less than impressive names.

#13 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

McCarthy is a decent pitcher, but lets not be crazy. At 28, he has thrown over 110 IP only twice and over 115 only once.

The Twins need a guy they can count on week in and week out, they dont have the depth to be replacing injured pitchers throughout the year (look at what happened last year when Baker and Pavano went down!)

The Diamondbacks are the perfect place for him, when he is on the field he makes them better, but if he misses time (likely) you have 3 of the best prospects in baseball knocking the door to replace him.

#14 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Who's to say the Twins wouldn't pay that price? Maybe, just maybe, all these pitchers would rather play for teams that haven't finished last in two straight years.

#15 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Yeah I though he would get more (around 10 per year), I would have liked if the Twins went 2/18.

diamondbacks good team , 2 years 15.5 million .
minnesota t´ins bad team 2years 24 million...

#16 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

justin morneau has lower value at trade deadline... we have 3 options with justin
! trade him now, so the team has a chance to recieve a draft pick if he is offered a qualifing offer in the next off season
2 extend him now or during the season hoping to get a hometown discount
3 watch him walk away hoping he had a good enough year to offer him a qualifing contract(top 125) to recieve a compensation draft pick in 2014

#17 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Who's to say the Twins wouldn't pay that price? Maybe, just maybe, all these pitchers would rather play for teams that haven't finished last in two straight years.

I think Ryan would be a fool to pay that price. Like Dave said, he's been over 115 innings once in his career. You don't hand a guy like that 16M on a guaranteed contract.

#18 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Haven't heard anyone mention this but he is coming off brain surgery, could be why his offer came in slightly lower then expected

#19 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not upset the Twins didn't sign another injury prone, noodle-armed starter that would require the terrible Twins defense to get 80% of his outs for him.

#20 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Something that came out over the winter meetings is Terry Ryan’s philosophy on payroll, that a team should not pay 50-60% of payroll in three or four guys. Simply stated, it’s not a recipe for success. This seems to be the reason that kept the Twins out of the Zack Greinke and Anibal Sanchez sweepstakes.

With Brandon McCarthy signing a 2-year $15.5 million contract, I get the sense that the Twins may not be afraid of a multi-year contract as long as it’s annual is somewhere below $10 million. Does that mean that the contact with Edwin Jackson was only out of courtesy?

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

Correct, with Mauer at $23MM, that means your next three players can only make $24MM combined. Even if they trade Morneau, that isn't going to leave much money for a top line, or second line, pitcher. Still hoping though....
Lighten up Francis....

#22 Einstein

Einstein

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

The Twins are all talk, outside of Pavano (and that's questionable as he was on the downside of his career), when's the last time the Twins signed a quality free agent. It's becoming increasingly frustrating being a Twins fan.

#23 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

Correct, with Mauer at $23MM, that means your next three players can only make $24MM combined. Even if they trade Morneau, that isn't going to leave much money for a top line, or second line, pitcher. Still hoping though....

Math and reading comprehension.
Even at a 100 million budget that would leave 27 Million for 3 players. at 120, that would leave 37. Ryan has also stated he can spend more for the right players.

#24 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Well, my assumption is $95MM, which is what they have sort of been saying. Half of 95 is 47.5. 47.5-23=24.5. I guess I did round down by .5 MM, that is true. But I love your condescending tone.But even if it was 27 vs 24MM, is that really a difference?

He says he can spend money, he says the Pohlads have never turned him down, ever, for money. When has he spent it? Look, I hope he will sign two legit pitchers this offseason, they have the money to do it. But I don't think it will happen. Still hoping I'm wrong, though.

Edited by mike wants wins, 08 December 2012 - 09:21 AM.

Lighten up Francis....

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

A percentage means jack if you don't have a payroll figure. So if the team gets 24 guys signed and they are sitting at $80 million, does that mean they can't spend another dime for the 25th guy because of that stupid pricipal? Doubt it, if anything the 50% rule will only be used as an excuse to keep payroll down.

#26 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Nick, agreed. We do not know the payroll figure, but does anyone think it is likely to be more than $95MM this year? I generally assume Terry Ryan is not lying when he talks to the media. If he says no team can win with their top 3-4 players making 50% of the payroll, then I think he really believes that.
Lighten up Francis....

#27 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Wait, what? You're not turning in your binoculars and pith helmet yet, are you?

Just being honest, jokin. You should try it sometime.

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Given the youth movement coming up, the Twins can afford one or two big contracts at areas of need. Mauer has C all wrapped up. Having a nice SP or SS would helpful as well given that we will still need help there in 2014 as well.

#29 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

I liked McCarthy. Too bad. Twins can afford to spend some money, but will they?