Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Can Royce Lewis help?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 686 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 02:37 PM

i have a love/hate for Buxton's playing/not playing.I love watching him run and play outfield.I hate the fact that he is not out helping the team all season long.Every game is important.Just how hurt is he?

He's a china doll flat out. Everyone knows it. Injury prone as can be. Probably the most injury prone player in Twins history and maybe even in the history of MLB.

He is making decisions on his future real easy. He won't be traded any longer IMO and probably won't event be asked for as his value is not much. That or if ever traded he wouldn't bring much back.

He also has ZERO leverage with the Twins going forward. His career looks to be a journeyman type that can run and play defense for a 1/3 of a season before he gets hurt each year. Too bad, his talent is undeniable. If it were me, I would just go to arbitration with him going forward and look to sign him for cheap when team control is over. If not, move on. Trying to sign him to a long term deal though after all we know, is IMO super duper risky.

#22 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 686 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 02:43 PM

I heard on the minor league report this morning that Lewis has been their best hitter at the alternate site. He bats right handed. He plays up the middle. The Twins need him now.

Put him on the roster in place of Vargas. Play him in CF or 2B or 3B against left handed pitching.

Bring back Donaldson with him and send back Cave or Wade.

Find another right handed bat in Astudillo or Rooker or trade for a corner OF if they aren't a solution. 

I'm not sure it is worth burning service time on him yet. He may or may not help. I would guess more than likely though, he is gonna take quite awhile to adjust. Probably not worth it at this point IMO.

• Danchat and Doctor Gast like this

#23 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 555 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 31 August 2020 - 02:58 PM

The Twins are being slaughtered by LHP, we need RH hitters that can make a difference. We have Booker, Astudillo & Lewis, why haven`t they been called up, when Donaldson, Buxton & Garver went down? We also need a middle fielder, Lewis fits the bill (another thing I don`t understand is they haven`t been giving Lewis time in CF). Could Lewis disappoint if he`d be called up? Yeah, maybe but he could take off too, like Arrais & at the same time Lewis is a much better fielder. Lewis raised up to the call at AFL, I believe he could do it here in the Majors. Yeah this service time deal is a bummer, I`m sure that`s what holding him back. I was surprised when they activated Jeffers .

#24 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,946 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 04:28 PM

If you are looking at 2019 why not look at the most recent 2019 where he was MVP of the Arizona Fall League.I don't know if he is ready but this whole idea of we don't know how he will do is kind of silly. We didn't know how Dobnak or Arraez or for that matter how May or Duffey would do last year. We didn't even know how Cruz would do.He could have been another in what fans around here have called another washed up veteran. The idea that internal reports won't be honest might be true in what is made public but they are certainly going to be honest in determining if he is ready. If they think he is ready this seems like a pretty good time to try him out. 

• birdwatcher and h2oface like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#25 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,881 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:59 PM

I am very glad to have Lewis, as well as Kirilloff, Larnach, Rooker, Duran Jeffers and others working out, working with coaches, scrimmaging as best they can vs sitting home and working out on their own. But asking them, or expecting them, to basically skip from AA ball to MLB without actually playing real games during a real season is really panning for fools gold isn't it?

The Twins felt Jeffers was the best option to replace Garver. He's been OK so far, which I think to be huge praise. Feeling the other prospects aren't ready to come up and make a difference doesn't demean their value or potential at all. Jts just saying "are they really better than what is on hand, despite some struggles taking place?" I think the answer is "not yet".

Now, Rooker, older and with success at AAA, I could make an honest arguement for. He also has to be added next off-season as well. I could also honestly argue that Blankenhorn, already on the 40 man, could be a viable option to look at in the infield. He had a decent ST, IIRC. But again, is be ready for the jump? Maybe jts worth a shot.

The guy I feel bad for is Gordon. We probably don't acquire Vargas if Gordon was healthy. He missed a shot last year, and he's missing a shot now,
  • birdwatcher, adjacent, Dman and 3 others like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#26 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 126 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 07:05 PM

My feeling is just DO SOMETHING.Jettison the Gardy Sunday roster players (need I mention them)?Bring up Colina (DFA the least viable pitcher), bring up Duran (and write off Bailey, the Bullpen games, and ?), bring up at least Rooker or Kiriloff (whom will likely hit as well against LHP as most of our LH vets are now).Someone mentioned above the revelations that Arraez, Graterol, and Dobnak were late last year.Aside from Jeffers - we need to see more of the young players.No more waiver claims, and I am glad we did not make any trades.

• jun likes this

#27 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

SeƱor Member

• 4,693 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:46 PM

I'd rather see Kirilloff. Great hitter, team needs hits.

• jun likes this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#28 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 709 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:01 AM

He's essentially recovering from surgery. He should be back soon.

Buxton's always on the verge of returning. Sorry, but this is the never-ending story of the MN Twins.

#29 Heinie Manush

Heinie Manush

• 24 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:22 AM

Cave, Ehrie, Marwin.The plan to go with them to weather the injury storm was not without merit as each has shown that they can be valuable fill-in players.Sadly, none has given us even decent production.Add to this that none ofKepler, Eddie, Luis or Jorge has stepped it up and we've got real problems.The opener/bullpen games have taxed our relievers.Trade deadline has passed.Starling Marte would have helped at a price that didn't seem very high.Gotta jump start this thing.Call up La Tortuga and one of the corner guys.DFA Ehire or Vargas.Send Wade down.Cave becomes a back up.And use a #5 starter.

• twins_89 likes this

#30 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 749 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:08 PM

without reading every single post I just have this to say. I saw what they did to Royce Lewis in the Arizona Fall League ok. Let me tell you that dude can play baseball straight up. I think maybe ( analytic nerds break out your spreadsheets)he played mostly centerfield...more at 3b than ss and...HE WON MVP of the league. the problem seems to be hitting left handed pitching so if you're panicked .. then there's the answer. problem is though... now the service time clock starts, and Buxton is in and out, and umm hello Josh...are you with us at all? you aint bringing Royce Lewis up to sit or platoon. Also i don't know the f**k they are doing with Jeffers when they have Astudillo. I know everyone wants to see Jeffers, Kiriloff, Larnach, Balzobic, and the equipment men from Pensacola but seriously. Astudillo and Avila should be holding down the catching for now. Having Jeffers in there every other day is like a 2016 decision.
  • DocBauer and Doctor Gast like this

#31 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 686 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:55 PM

without reading every single post I just have this to say. I saw what they did to Royce Lewis in the Arizona Fall League ok. Let me tell you that dude can play baseball straight up. I think maybe ( analytic nerds break out your spreadsheets)he played mostly centerfield...more at 3b than ss and...HE WON MVP of the league. the problem seems to be hitting left handed pitching so if you're panicked .. then there's the answer. problem is though... now the service time clock starts, and Buxton is in and out, and umm hello Josh...are you with us at all? you aint bringing Royce Lewis up to sit or platoon. Also i don't know the f**k they are doing with Jeffers when they have Astudillo. I know everyone wants to see Jeffers, Kiriloff, Larnach, Balzobic, and the equipment men from Pensacola but seriously. Astudillo and Avila should be holding down the catching for now. Having Jeffers in there every other day is like a 2016 decision.

Not saying he can't play. But he probably isn't ready to be the type of player they think he will be(at some point) at the major league level right now. If he was, they would have started the season with him on the roster. 

I agree with you 100% that if Royce comes up, he comes up and is inserted right into a starting role. My guess is we see him next year at some point during the season. 

• Dman, DocBauer and Channing1964 like this

#32 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 686 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:57 PM

DFA Ehire 

Hell no. He has more than proven his worth over the years. You DFA him, he would get scooped up right away. 

• DocBauer and BrianBuchanan like this

#33 twins_89

twins_89

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 546 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:20 PM

Since the Twins passed on making any upgrades at the trade deadline they need to bring up at least a couple of the prospects to boost the bench. So far this year the Cave, Wade, Adrianza, and Vargas group has been beyond awful. With Buxton back, I'd send down both Cave/Wade, release one of Adrianza/Vargas, and only use Gonzalez on the infield. Bring up Kirilloff and Rooker with Alex playing most days to rest Buxton/Rosario/Kepler/Sano and Brent playing against lefties (and being a right handed bench bat).

#34 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,881 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:11 PM

Agree on Lewis. To me, he is untouchable based on talent, potential, and his HEALTHY end to the season in the AFL. He could end up at SS or 3B and MAYBE at CF. (Betting he stays in the infield). I believe he comes up initially due to injury somewhere. I believe he plays multiple spots as a super utility player because he can.

Going to disagree on Jeffers. Astudillo, I believe, may not be ramped up just yet. Regardless, the Twins believe in his defense. I think their belief has been warranted from what we've seen this far. And they believe he has the ability to at least survive if not contribute with the bat.
  • Dman, Channing1964 and Doctor Gast like this

--Lou Brown

#35 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 126 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:59 PM

Astudillo was an interesting sideshow one year.He no longer merits a roster spot IMHO.I want to see Jeffers behind Garver sooner than later.Garver has the potential to be a one-year wonder, and he was already old.Avila and Astudillo are only #1 and #2 catchers on a team devoid of what we have starting and coming up.

• h2oface, DocBauer and Channing1964 like this

#36 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,881 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:25 PM

Astudillo was an interesting sideshow one year.He no longer merits a roster spot IMHO.I want to see Jeffers behind Garver sooner than later.Garver has the potential to be a one-year wonder, and he was already old.Avila and Astudillo are only #1 and #2 catchers on a team devoid of what we have starting and coming up.

Generally agree. Just my $.02 worth.

What Garver did at the plate in 2019 is virtually impossible to sustain. We are talking HOF all time great numbers. So regression is/was inevitable. But he does have good power. He has a great eye and a compact swing. He has hit everywhere from college, through the minors, and even his rookie season in 2018. While 2019 will probably be an outlier of a season, I fully believe his results thus far in 2020 are also a huge outlier. There are a ton of guys thus season throughout baseball that just don't have their timing and approach in sync. Garver needs to adjust as pitchers have adjusted. We may not see the real Garver until 2021. Though I hope that isn't true and he finishes strong.

Jeffers has impressed me despite the bat being so-so thus far. I think It's telling he was brought up instead of Telis, who has shown a good bat in AAA and has ML experience. Had it been Avilla who got hurt, I wonder if Jeffers would still have been the choice?

Depth is always important. Avilla is solid in many ways. And he's cheap. And he would be cheap on a re-sign. I wonder if he might be brought back next season for depth purposes? I wouldn't be opposed to it, that's for sure. And that is no knock on Jeffers at all!

For now, you and I are going to agree to disagree on Astudillo. I watched a lot of the games he played in 2018 and 2019. I think the guy can hit. Despite poor final numbers last season, there were stretches, when healthy, where be was putting the bat on the ball pretty well. Unfortunately, he was injured twice and could never find consistency. Behind the plate, he is nothing special to be sure. But what I've seen is a solid backstop who is "quiet" behind the plate and seems to know what he is doing. At other spots, the terms "solid" and "OK" come to mind. I find value in that if the bat can prove solid, as I expect, especially with a 26 man roster going forward in 2021 and beyond. Unfortunately, any chance to show his worth is going to probably be lost here in 2020.

--Lou Brown

#37 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,607 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:35 PM

I'm amazed that with a 28 man roster, not making more room for hitters. Who will be here in 2021. Adrianza? Cave? Wade? Rosario?

Jeffers is showing he can be ready for the majors. So much that I would consider moving Garver if he bats turns a little bit around.

You don't need bullpen arms sitting around. Is Smeltzer really in the plans? Poppen? What was with the addition of Minaya, except that you were adding back Pineda.

I'm sad that Nick Gordon wasn't available for a chance to play in the Big Leagues. But now we should be looking at Royce Lewis. Gonzales won't be back in 2021.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#38 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 126 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:32 PM

Generally agree. Just my $.02 worth.

What Garver did at the plate in 2019 is virtually impossible to sustain. We are talking HOF all time great numbers. So regression is/was inevitable. But he does have good power. He has a great eye and a compact swing. He has hit everywhere from college, through the minors, and even his rookie season in 2018. While 2019 will probably be an outlier of a season, I fully believe his results thus far in 2020 are also a huge outlier. There are a ton of guys thus season throughout baseball that just don't have their timing and approach in sync. Garver needs to adjust as pitchers have adjusted. We may not see the real Garver until 2021. Though I hope that isn't true and he finishes strong.

Jeffers has impressed me despite the bat being so-so thus far. I think It's telling he was brought up instead of Telis, who has shown a good bat in AAA and has ML experience. Had it been Avilla who got hurt, I wonder if Jeffers would still have been the choice?

Depth is always important. Avilla is solid in many ways. And he's cheap. And he would be cheap on a re-sign. I wonder if he might be brought back next season for depth purposes? I wouldn't be opposed to it, that's for sure. And that is no knock on Jeffers at all!

For now, you and I are going to agree to disagree on Astudillo. I watched a lot of the games he played in 2018 and 2019. I think the guy can hit. Despite poor final numbers last season, there were stretches, when healthy, where be was putting the bat on the ball pretty well. Unfortunately, he was injured twice and could never find consistency. Behind the plate, he is nothing special to be sure. But what I've seen is a solid backstop who is "quiet" behind the plate and seems to know what he is doing. At other spots, the terms "solid" and "OK" come to mind. I find value in that if the bat can prove solid, as I expect, especially with a 26 man roster going forward in 2021 and beyond. Unfortunately, any chance to show his worth is going to probably be lost here in 2020.

I do agree with you on Garver, and did not mean to knock him for what was an all-timer year at C to try to follow.What I meant was that he is the type of player that will be challenged to come close to repeating an absolutely exceptional year.Given his age, and wear/tear at C, I feel that he has to sustain really good versus last years exceptional performance before the wear/tear catches up to him.I do think he will do it, but he was due for a material regression to the mean.

I don't have a problem with the Avilla signing at all.It was shrewd (and cheap as you referenced).But, like with Astudillo, I do feel that we need to avoid blocking our really talented young players with stop-gaps.For a few reasons; we will have some roster spots to make up our mind on in the next few years, and I do feel like we need to move up the obvious ones in a hurry to reserve space for the ones that may take a few extra years like Garver to maximize value.All the Avilla's and Astudillo's clog the system for doing so.While I know Astudillo can play many positions and has an active bat, I would rather the Twins clear the space for others.To that end, I want to see Rooker, Kiriloff, Larnach and Lewis early - even in utility roles this year - as there are no games in the minors.I have the same feeling about the Cave's, Vargas', Wade - and perhaps even the Adrianza's and Gonzalez's.I think that getting the young players some experience like Jeffers will pay great dividends down the road with these assets (either to keep or trade).I just don't feel that we need too many role players in this unique year.Just my opinion.

• DocBauer likes this

#39 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,084 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:08 AM

Wanted to add my thoughts of Jeffers.

Is he ready to be playing every other day for the Twins, not really. With that said, he is doing much better than I think any of us should have expected. And is he gaining invaluable experience by being here, you betcha!

Will state again that like Balazovic, I really wanted to see Rortvedt getting experience by being at St. Paul. Hopefully, both of them will have a real nice stint in the Instructional League, whenever that happens.

• Dman, DocBauer and Vanimal46 like this

#40 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 749 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:10 PM

true to all of that. It is my HO that every team needs a righty and a left handed hitting catcher on the 25 man. Its built in he cant play every day such as 2b can so that being said it is almost a true platoon position. Having two young mediocre right handed hitting catchers is scary to me. Let's face it. The Garver we saw last year and the one we have seen this year are neither one right. The truth is somewhere in the middle.