Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Can Royce Lewis help?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,757 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 04:44 PM

I heard on the minor league report this morning that Lewis has been their best hitter at the alternate site. He bats right handed. He plays up the middle. The Twins need him now.

Put him on the roster in place of Vargas. Play him in CF or 2B or 3B against left handed pitching.

Bring back Donaldson with him and send back Cave or Wade.

Find another right handed bat in Astudillo or Rooker or trade for a corner OF if they aren't a solution. 

• h2oface, NapoleonComplex, mikelink45 and 6 others like this

#2 spycake

spycake

• 18,075 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:58 PM

How meaningful is “best hitter in minor league practice / scrimmages”? He had a 97 wRC+ in high-A last year, followed by an 88 at AA. He’s almost certainly going to struggle in his initial exposure to MLB, especially after such a long layoff from real game action.

They should be able to trade for better players than Cave or Vargas, if that is all you want.
  • Mike Frasier Law, Danchat, jun and 3 others like this

#3 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,712 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:26 PM

Royce had a .665 OPS at Fort Meyers A+ and .649 OPS at Pensacola AA last year. If called up, he'll likely hit below .200 and strike out a lot. He needs time to mature as a hitter.

I could see Larnach or Kiriloff hit well if called up, though it's far from a sure thing that they would be an improvement from what we have now.

• Dman, Vanimal46, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#4 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,491 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:58 PM

i really agree with this post - yes - bring in Royce.Push the envelop.

• h2oface, Greglw3 and Doctor Gast like this

#5 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 126 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:40 PM

Bring up any of the 3-4 (Kiriloff, Larnach, Rooker, or Lewis) that can offer more than Vargas, Cave and Wade.Like our pitching, wherein I think we give up on a Bailey return, and bypass Smeltzer, Thorpe, and Romo with a young pitcher (from Colina, Chalmers, and Duran - if you do not see him starting this year, you get him some long relief innings).I just don't see the point of adding more refuse to our roster via trade or waivers, nor do I see the point in continuing to allow several players to languish in St. Paul that either require an assessment, or require some 'live action' that will only benefit us in the future.I just don't see a future here for Smeltzer or Thorpe, nor do I see the point in trying to wring much more out of Romo (they simply don't have the eye popping 'stuff' we need postseason).They should not be pitching in the playoffs - AT ALL.

• jun, mikelink45, Aerodeliria and 1 other like this

#6 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,757 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:25 PM

Royce had a .665 OPS at Fort Meyers A+ and .649 OPS at Pensacola AA last year. If called up, he'll likely hit below .200 and strike out a lot. He needs time to mature as a hitter.

I could see Larnach or Kiriloff hit well if called up, though it's far from a sure thing that they would be an improvement from what we have now.

Ultimately the staff needs to make a decision on whether any of these prospects can help.

Should the staff make a decision based on what they see and measure from the work at the alternate site or make the decision based on 2019 data?

• Dantes929 likes this

#7 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,712 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:02 PM

Ultimately the staff needs to make a decision on whether any of these prospects can help.

Should the staff make a decision based on what they see and measure from the work at the alternate site or make the decision based on 2019 data?

It should be noted that he hit well in the Fall League, had an OPS of .975 for whatever that's worth.

As for actually calling him up, they'd have to add him to the 40 man and start his service time clock, which I don't think is wise for a guy who hasn't figured out AA yet. 

• darin617, Dman, Major League Ready and 5 others like this

#8 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 199 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:19 AM

i have a love/hate for Buxton's playing/not playing.I love watching him run and play outfield.I hate the fact that he is not out helping the team all season long.Every game is important.Just how hurt is he?

#9 rv78

rv78

Ft Myers Miracle

• 261 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:29 AM

Why is the service time clock so important? Shouldn't your best players be playing on the major league roster despite service time? I've seen enough of Cave, Wade, Adrianza. We aren't going to win with those 3 playing. What better time to take a look at Lewis, Kirillof and Larnach, or Rooker. Is Celestino hurt? Or take a look at Zander Wiel or Lane Adams, geeze anybody has got to be as good or better than the 3 that are playing now and not doing a flippin thing. 

• mikelink45, Crackedfungo and Greglw3 like this

#10 Greglw3

Greglw3

Elizabethton Twins

• 40 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:00 AM

I heard on the minor league report this morning that Lewis has been their best hitter at the alternate site. He bats right handed. He plays up the middle. The Twins need him now.

Put him on the roster in place of Vargas. Play him in CF or 2B or 3B against left handed pitching.

Bring back Donaldson with him and send back Cave or Wade.

Find another right handed bat in Astudillo or Rooker or trade for a corner OF if they aren't a solution. 

Well written! I feel like you, like me, are hungry to win and realize that the current roster is not gonna get the job done, especially with 4 lefties in the OF. Donaldson can’t get back quick enough and Rooker would be my choice to replace Cave or Wade. Then, I’d try to trade for Kevin Pillar. Lewis is intriguing, maybe he’s ready! I give you credit for bold thinking. If Falvey and Levine think he can handle it well, then, let’s do that too. Last, they MUST acquire a 5th starter. The lack of one is killing them in a cascading way that has hurt the bullpen a lot.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#11 spycake

spycake

• 18,075 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:28 AM

Why is the service time clock so important? Shouldn't your best players be playing on the major league roster despite service time?

Sure, but with a guy like Lewis, you don't really know if he's one of your best players right now. Even the best talent evaluators are going to have pretty low odds of predicting Lewis's MLB success over the next month. And the cost is:

- you have to give him playing time in a pennant race, just to find out if he's ready (less margin for error)

- accelerated service time (1 month this year equals 3 months next year)

- keeping someone else off the 40-man roster now and through this winter (Lewis doesn't have to be added until December 2021)

- likely burning one of Lewis' option years in 2021

None of those costs are great enough to keep a good player down, but again, you don't know if Lewis will be a good MLB player over the next month. If he has a 10% chance of that, is that worth the costs above?

And unless Lewis has truly flipped the superstar switch right now -- before his MLB debut -- how good do you expect him to be in his first month of MLB action? ~100 OPS+ type, ~0.3 WAR? Is that worth the cost? Isn't that basically Marwin Gonzalez, or what Cave, Adrianza, and Vargas did just last year? Can you realign your defense to keep Marwin in the lineup when Donaldson and Buxton come back? If we really need to add that kind of guy right now, can we find him on the trade market for reasonable cost?

• Dman, Major League Ready, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#12 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,757 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:55 AM

I would prefer playing prospects than trading them. The Twins could wait out service time on these players and keep them down to begin next year also. There seem to plenty of teams going the opposite direction and playing young players this year.

Lewis bats right handed and comes with some positional flexibility. The Twins as a team aren’t close to a 100 OPS+ against left handed pitching and could use that versatile right handed bat.

I was really swayed by the report on the Sunday pregame show that Lewis was standing out among the prospects at the alternate site.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#13 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,889 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:07 AM

i really agree with this post - yes - bring in Royce.Push the envelop.

What's the plan in the likely event that he finds himself in over his head at the major league level? Unlike a player of the Ildemaro Vargas variety, you can't DFA him to make room for the next candidate. I'm not utterly opposed to trying Lewis, but the internal scouts need to be very convinced, because the move brings roster problems with it. The roster already has hardening of the arteries with out-of-options players like Adrianza on board.

• spycake, DocBauer, Taildragger8791 and 1 other like this

A mistake made more than once starts to look like a decision.

#14 spycake

spycake

• 18,075 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:25 AM

I would prefer playing prospects than trading them. The Twins could wait out service time on these players and keep them down to begin next year also. There seem to plenty of teams going the opposite direction and playing young players this year.

Lewis bats right handed and comes with some positional flexibility. The Twins as a team aren’t close to a 100 OPS+ against left handed pitching and could use that versatile right handed bat.

I was really swayed by the report on the Sunday pregame show that Lewis was standing out among the prospects at the alternate site.

I think you have to take team reports with a grain of salt, no? Do they ever really say a guy isn't doing well or even just meeting expectations? Especially with a high-profile guy like Lewis, they probably feel compelled to say something encouraging about him.

Also, if Lewis is really doing well relative to other prospects at the alternate site, maybe that says more about the other prospects than about Lewis's immediate MLB readiness.

I notice you mentioned Donaldson returning, but not Buxton. Are you expecting him to be out for the year? I know it's a little hard to count on Buxton for much, but with Donaldson, Buxton, and Marwin, the need for an average-ish RHB who can play some CF and a little infield seems significantly diminished (or at least much narrow -- maybe you don't need the versatility, and a straight OF or IF will suffice.)

• birdwatcher, Dman and Aerodeliria like this

#15 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,511 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:50 AM

i have a love/hate for Buxton's playing/not playing.I love watching him run and play outfield.I hate the fact that he is not out helping the team all season long.Every game is important.Just how hurt is he?

He's essentially recovering from surgery. He should be back soon.

#16 twins_89

twins_89

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 546 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:59 AM

I'm doubtful that Lewis or Larnach get added to the 40 man roster since neither of them are rule 5 eligible this off-season. Kirilloff and Rooker are the guys that I'd like to see get a chance since they can't be worse than Cave/Wade have been (and they have to be added to the 40 man after the season anyway).

• Dman, DocBauer and twinbythebay like this

#17 big dog

big dog

• 3,133 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:09 PM

Can we please add somebody who can play the infield decently and outhit Adrianza/Vargas? Please???

• mikelink45 likes this

#18 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,491 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:53 PM

Why is the service time clock so important? Shouldn't your best players be playing on the major league roster despite service time? I've seen enough of Cave, Wade, Adrianza. We aren't going to win with those 3 playing. What better time to take a look at Lewis, Kirillof and Larnach, or Rooker. Is Celestino hurt? Or take a look at Zander Wiel or Lane Adams, geeze anybody has got to be as good or better than the 3 that are playing now and not doing a flippin thing. 

i agree - this service time issue has to go away.Use your best players.

• h2oface likes this

#19 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,491 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:54 PM

I'm doubtful that Lewis or Larnach get added to the 40 man roster since neither of them are rule 5 eligible this off-season. Kirilloff and Rooker are the guys that I'd like to see get a chance since they can't be worse than Cave/Wade have been (and they have to be added to the 40 man after the season anyway).

Clear out the 40 man and put on the players who can and will make a difference.

#20 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,491 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:55 PM

He's essentially recovering from surgery. He should be back soon.

And then gone and then back and then gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

• BBAM likes this