Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Varela vs. Rowson

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zwiefz

zwiefz

• 54 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 02:37 PM

I generally hate blaming poor performance on coaches(and I'm not doing it in this case).

But I can't help but wonder if some(certainly not all) of the poor offensive performances this year are in any part due to losing James Rowson to Miami and replacing him with Edgar Varela.

Have any of you stat heads/video analysts out there noticed anything or is this simply a case of everyone not named Cruz having an offensive slump at the same time? At the very least you would have thought by now you would see more signs of improvement.

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,939 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 August 2020 - 03:33 PM

I generally hate blaming poor performance on coaches

I love doing it. :)

Those guys are paid to find answers. In a shortened season like this, the pressure to find quick answers is unfair but comes with the territory. And in cases like Polanco, the approach at the plate seems to be in question since his BA has become empty, so it's fair to wonder.

• gil4 likes this

A mistake made more than once starts to look like a decision.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:16 PM

Rudy Hernandez is still here.

Varela and Rowson worked together. Not on a same staff, but the MLB guys work with the minor league guys. Their hitting philosophies are the same. 

But yeah, it is a fair question and one that will naturally come up. Teams made the adjustments to the Twins hitters since last year and now it's the hitters, with the help of the coaches, to try to adjust back. 

• ashbury likes this

#4 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,713 posts
  • LocationSilver Bay, Minnesota

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:48 AM

I,be been thinking the big difference this year is the coaching staff. And that.Rowson was the biggest loss.  This could be a very disappointing season.

• Vanimal46, operation mindcrime and Huskertwin like this

he gone!

#5 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,612 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:30 PM

We should've made him our offensive coordinator and given him a pay raise! :)