Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Bring Up Young Pitchers/make the necessary roster moves..

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,607 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:24 AM

The opener/bullpen game works if you have the luxury, as the Twins do, to comeback with a pitcher or two who can throw three or four innings. (Actually, I would use the opener in the case of Hill and especially Odorizzi for the remainder of the season). You are carrying an abundance of pitchers. But, yes, with the double-header allowing you to spotlight a 40-man guy - let us see Chalmers and Duran if at all possible. At worst, they face only three batters. At best, they shine beyond expectations, and will cause hard decisions to be made on pitchers like Poppen and Smeltzer.

So, what are the chances the Twins let Trevor May walk?

Anyone believe Fernando Romero still has a future with the Twins?

• DocBauer likes this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#22 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,530 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:32 AM

Instead of the bullpen games, I would like to see them bring up Jhoan Duran for a start.There is nothing to lose, as our pitching lately (outside of Maeda) has been very suspect. 

"There is nothing to lose"... except for baseball games. They're winning when they play bullpen games. That's what matters.

• Brock Beauchamp and SQUIRREL like this

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,747 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:55 AM

Bumping for Balazovic being added to the St. Paul group. Good to see.

Interesting. I don’t know why he hasn’t been there the whole season to get development time. Regardless, glad to see he’s up there now.
  • DocBauer likes this

#24 darin617

darin617

• 1,560 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:04 AM

2 words that stop this from happening "service time" no use in burning a year now.

#25 a-wan

a-wan

• 233 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

"There is nothing to lose"... except for baseball games. They're winning when they play bullpen games. That's what matters.

And overall have the 5th best ERA in MLB, 3rd best FIP, 9th best K/9. Pitching is not the issue this year by miles. Starting a minor league prospect and having them get bombed would be so much worse than just bullpen games, especially in the shortened season where innings will be down for all relievers.

• SQUIRREL, DocBauer, IndianaTwin and 3 others like this

#26 mnfireman

mnfireman

• 312 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 12:57 PM

They are 5-3 in bullpen games, maybe better than any other options available at this time. But bullpen overuse may catch up to them when it matters.

• stringer bell, jun, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#27 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,069 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 07 September 2020 - 04:06 PM

They are 5-3 in bullpen games, maybe better than any other options available at this time. But bullpen overuse may catch up to them when it matters.

Bremer said that Dobnak will start one of the games in St. Louis, so not a true BP game, although I doubt they will push Dobnak too much. Berríos might go 6 or 7, so they should have a full bullpen to back up Dobnak.

#28 jun

jun

• 919 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 04:39 PM

The opener/bullpen game works if you have the luxury, as the Twins do, to comeback with a pitcher or two who can throw three or four innings. (Actually, I would use the opener in the case of Hill and especially Odorizzi for the remainder of the season). You are carrying an abundance of pitchers. But, yes, with the double-header allowing you to spotlight a 40-man guy - let us see Chalmers and Duran if at all possible. At worst, they face only three batters. At best, they shine beyond expectations, and will cause hard decisions to be made on pitchers like Poppen and Smeltzer.

So, what are the chances the Twins let Trevor May walk?

Anyone believe Fernando Romero still has a future with the Twins?

Pitchers like Poppen and Smeltzer are not special. There are plenty of them out there. They will not cause hard decisions to be made.

I don't think the Twins will let May walk. May has really good stuff. He should be able to bounce back.

#29 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,166 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:31 PM

Continued use of Bullpen Games is over taxing the Pen and causing the recent melt downs. It may not happen in the pen game, but it happens protecting other games instead of "deGrom-ing" the starter.

Continued use of Bullpen Games is the ticket to an early exit in the postseason.

• Crackedfungo likes this

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:55 PM

Continued use of Bullpen Games is over taxing the Pen and causing the recent melt downs. It may not happen in the pen game, but it happens protecting other games instead of "deGrom-ing" the starter.

Continued use of Bullpen Games is the ticket to an early exit in the postseason.

This doesn't really appear to be true, though. The Twins have played 43 games. Their reliever with most IP is Wisler, who probably won't be a huge factor in the postseason but may get innings. He has 18.2 IP. Taylor Rogers is at the bottom of the "important relievers" list with 13.1 IP.

In a 162 game season, Wisler is on track for 70 IP. A touch on the high side but well within reason. Rogers is on track for just 50 IP. Everyone else is in between.

The reality of the situation is that the expanded rosters and the Twins' bullpen depth have allowed Baldelli to trot out reliever after reliever but stagger them enough that they're all on track for pretty typical workloads, except they don't even have to manage that workload for six months, they just need to do it for two.

• SQUIRREL, h2oface, Danchat and 3 others like this

#31 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 439 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:09 PM

Have you missed it. Opponents have been flailing at Matt Wisler’s slider. I like a bullpen game starting with that slider from time to time. The Twins are deep in pitching right now. I can wait for the next generation. I’m more worried about the lack of production at catcher (before Jeffers), from Cave, Ehire, and Marwin. I have to believe one or two more of our top hitting prospects would help add to the offense. Pitching is going well. Taylor Rogers is bouncing back. The glass is 7/8ths full. Go Twins.
  • Gene Larkin Fan Club likes this

#32 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,166 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 08 September 2020 - 02:03 AM

This doesn't really appear to be true, though. The Twins have played 43 games. Their reliever with most IP is Wisler, who probably won't be a huge factor in the postseason but may get innings. He has 18.2 IP. Taylor Rogers is at the bottom of the "important relievers" list with 13.1 IP.

In a 162 game season, Wisler is on track for 70 IP. A touch on the high side but well within reason. Rogers is on track for just 50 IP. Everyone else is in between.

The reality of the situation is that the expanded rosters and the Twins' bullpen depth have allowed Baldelli to trot out reliever after reliever but stagger them enough that they're all on track for pretty typical workloads, except they don't even have to manage that workload for six months, they just need to do it for two.

The stats may say that.... and I won't deny it. Stats can make for a contrary stance. And I'm sure you know the famous Mark Twain qoute about stats. But that's my prediction, and I'm sticking with it. If they exit early, it will be proven.;)

#33 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 126 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:48 AM

The Twins have not recalled very many top prospects- even during their recent slump. Why they don't is a mystery to me. As far as "top 100" prospects, that can change in an instant and a club can improve via trades and free agency.

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:10 AM

The stats may say that.... and I won't deny it. Stats can make for a contrary stance. And I'm sure you know the famous Mark Twain qoute about stats. But that's my prediction, and I'm sticking with it. If they exit early, it will be proven. ;)

But... it’s just showing usage when you’re making an argument pitchers are being overused...

And ten playoff innings won’t prove or disprove anything.

#35 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:13 AM

The Twins have not recalled very many top prospects- even during their recent slump. Why they don't is a mystery to me. As far as "top 100" prospects, that can change in an instant and a club can improve via trades and free agency.

Two reasons:

1. Some guys will require 40-man space to head to Minneapolis

2. No minor leaguer has seen real game action in a full calendar year
  • SQUIRREL likes this

#36 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:19 AM

Have you missed it. Opponents have been flailing at Matt Wisler’s slider. I like a bullpen game starting with that slider from time to time. The Twins are deep in pitching right now. I can wait for the next generation. I’m more worried about the lack of production at catcher (before Jeffers), from Cave, Ehire, and Marwin. I have to believe one or two more of our top hitting prospects would help add to the offense. Pitching is going well. Taylor Rogers is bouncing back. The glass is 7/8ths full. Go Twins.

Given how the Twins now appear to be moving past bullpen games, it'd be interesting to see what a Wisler/Hill combination could achieve in a game.

Use Wisler to open with that nasty RH slider, then insert Hill with his LH looping breaking pitches. I'm not sure it'd have a huge impact, given how Wisler won't face the entire lineup even once, but it could throw the top (important) half of the opposing lineup off-balance after seeing Wisler then transitioning to a very different Rich Hill for a couple of plate appearances.

• stringer bell, h2oface, Danchat and 1 other like this

#37 launchingthrees

launchingthrees

• 222 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 12:03 AM

But... it’s just showing usage when you’re making an argument pitchers are being overused...

And ten playoff innings won’t prove or disprove anything.

What do the stats say about pitcher injuries in 2020 vs 2019? I'd be wayyyyy on the conservative side with assets this year, especially given they're making the playoffs regardless. If ever there was a time to keep the bullpen closer to prorated 50ip/162, then this is it. 

#38 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,980 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:22 AM

What do the stats say about pitcher injuries in 2020 vs 2019? I'd be wayyyyy on the conservative side with assets this year, especially given they're making the playoffs regardless. If ever there was a time to keep the bullpen closer to prorated 50ip/162, then this is it. 

I haven't seen data lately but pitchers were falling like dominoes the first 2-3 weeks of the season. I haven't seen data to confirm but it seems that trend has stopped, or at least slowed.

Which makes sense, as pitchers were essentially thrown into game speed action 2-3 weeks earlier than normal due to the abbreviated preseason.

Hitters also suffered, though not from injury... BABIP was through the floor for a few weeks but has since normalized.

Given that we're now ~45 games into the season, I don't see a reason why normal pitcher workload will be an issue going forward, as even going deep into a World Series run only involves pitching another 5-6 weeks.

#39 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 686 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:10 PM

I love the bullpen games. It allows us to cover up the gaggle of #4 starters in this rotation.

As far as calling guys up. I'm cool with it if we think they will help. When it comes down the playoffs though. I want my high dollar guys in the lineup and playing. Yes, Donaldson or Marwin Gonzalez or Mitch Garver might have started slow this year. But who would you rather see in an important postseason at bat? One of them? Or Brent Rooker? How about Trevor Larnach with almost zero experience?

Basically, we are making the playoffs. This season is kind of a warm up for that. Getting the guys in your lineup going during the season IMO is more important than testing out 2-3 of your prospects to see if they will help for the playoffs this year when the season is so darn short.