Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Where does the Twins Farm System Rank?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Where do the Twins now rank with the addition of two more top 100 prospects? The pitching pipeline looks mountains better and I wouldn't say it's fixed per say, but it's got to be around average. May and Meyer are both great pitchers towards the top and at the bottom there could be some great future players too. It's up to the Twins to draft pitching studs and end the "pitch to contact" notion in order to prevent this crisis from happening again.

As of now, I feel the Twins have a top 5 system in the MLB. Thoughts?

My rankings for the top 15 in our minors
1. Miguel Sano
2. Byron Buxton
3. Aaron Hicks
4. Alex Meyer
5. Oswaldo Arcia
6. Trevor May
7. Eddie Rosario
8. Kyle Gibson
9. J.O Berrios
10. Max Kepler-Rozycki
11. Joe Benson
12. Travis Harrison
13. Jason Wheeler
14. Nate Roberts
15. Daniel Santana

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I would put the Twins top 10 or 15 up against anyone else's farm system. I may be proven wrong, but I think they can be i nthe discussion.

#3 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

I would put the Twins top 10 or 15 up against anyone else's farm system. I may be proven wrong, but I think they can be i nthe discussion.

Wow that's pretty great. I would think so too, but am unsure the bottom of it is good. It's your best players that make it or break it though, so it may be the greatest.

#4 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Where do the Twins now rank with the addition of two more top 100 prospects? The pitching pipeline looks mountains better and I wouldn't say it's fixed per say, but it's got to be around average. May and Meyer are both great pitchers towards the top and at the bottom there could be some great future players too. It's up to the Twins to draft pitching studs and end the "pitch to contact" notion in order to prevent this crisis from happening again.

1. Miguel Sano
2. Byron Buxton
3. Aaron Hicks
4. Alex Meyer
5. Oswaldo Arcia
6. Trevor May
7. Eddie Rosario
8. Kyle Gibson
9. J.O Berrios
10. Max Kepler-Rozycki
11. Joe Benson
12. Travis Harrison
13. Jason Wheeler
14. Nate Roberts
15. Daniel Santana

john manuel was asked this question in his b.a. twins chat about our system and i believe he said we're one of the most improved systems and that he'd guess we were somewhere in the 6-8 range. that was before the additions of meyer and may so we may be flirting with a top five ranking, especially considering that we're addressing our glaring weakness.

#5 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

1. Miguel Sano
2. Byron Buxton
3. Aaron Hicks
4. Alex Meyer
5. Oswaldo Arcia
6. Trevor May
7. Eddie Rosario
8. Kyle Gibson
9. J.O Berrios
10. Max Kepler-Rozycki
11. Joe Benson
12. Travis Harrison
13. Jason Wheeler
14. Nate Roberts
15. Daniel Santana

john manuel was asked this question in his b.a. twins chat about our system and i believe he said we're one of the most improved systems and that he'd guess we were somewhere in the 6-8 range. that was before the additions of meyer and may so we may be flirting with a top five ranking, especially considering that we're addressing our glaring weakness.

Verve, what's your take on May, how much did his down year at double A damage his overall stock?

#6 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

The additions of Meyer and May are certainly welcome, but overall pitching depth is still pretty bad. The Twins also aren't real strong when it comes to infielders or catchers. I'd guess #5-7 range.

#7 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

[quote name='PseudoSABR'][quote name='Vervehound'][quote name='YourHouseIsMyHouse']Where do the Twins now rank with the addition of two more top 100 prospects? The pitching pipeline looks mountains better and I wouldn't say it's fixed per say, but it's got to be around average. May and Meyer are both great pitchers towards the top and at the bottom there could be some great future players too. It's up to the Twins to draft pitching studs and end the "pitch to contact" notion in order to prevent this crisis from happening again.

1. Miguel Sano
2. Byron Buxton
3. Aaron Hicks
4. Alex Meyer
5. Oswaldo Arcia
6. Trevor May
7. Eddie Rosario
8. Kyle Gibson
9. J.O Berrios
10. Max Kepler-Rozycki
11. Joe Benson
12. Travis Harrison
13. Jason Wheeler
14. Nate Roberts
15. Daniel Santana[/QUOTE]

john manuel was asked this question in his b.a. twins chat about our system and i believe he said we're one of the most improved systems and that he'd guess we were somewhere in the 6-8 range. that was before the additions of meyer and may so we may be flirting with a top five ranking, especially considering that we're addressing our glaring weakness.[/QUOTE]Verve, what's your take on May, how much did his down year at double A damage his overall stock?[/QUOTE]

love the pickup - he was one of the guys i was hoping they'd pry loose at the deadline. he's a pure power arm that misses bats but i think he's destined for the pen.

when i'm playing gm in my downstairs basement, this is one of the moves i make. nice job by ryan, imo.

#8 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

1. Miguel Sano
2. Byron Buxton
3. Aaron Hicks
4. Alex Meyer
5. Oswaldo Arcia
6. Trevor May
7. Eddie Rosario
8. Kyle Gibson
9. J.O Berrios
10. Max Kepler-Rozycki
11. Joe Benson
12. Travis Harrison
13. Jason Wheeler
14. Nate Roberts
15. Daniel Santana

Before the draft last year, I recall surveying various Top 100 lists. The worst ranking as I recall was 17, the best 7. Since then: a very solid 2012 draft (Buxton, Berrios, Melotakis, some injury disappointments (Wimmers, Benson, Salcedo, Stuifbergen), some nice improvements, surprises, and comebacks (Hendriks, Hicks, Gibson, Parmelee, Kepler, Vargas, Polanco), continued strong development of elite prospects (Arcia, Sano, Rosario, Herrmann, Harrison, Goodrum, and now two top 100 additions (Meyer, May).

Time to see fewer laments about how lousy the Twins are at scouting and development.

#9 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

I know very little of other teams' farm systems, but this list of prospects excites me greatly.

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,401 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

I know very little of other teams' farm systems, but this list of prospects excites me greatly.

How many of this list of 15 do we give Bill Smith credit for?

#11 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

IDK, I think it will depend greatly on who is ranking them. I think when it comes to prospect value they are up there, but if you look at positional depth, like infielders, top line pitching and AAA-AA talent its lower. There are some glaring holes from high A- AAA with pitchers,infielders and that top prospect lighting it up to say they are a top 5 farm system. But Arcia, Hicks, Benson (if healthy), Gibson, Meyer, May do have quite a bit of value, add that with the lower level value (Buxton, Rosserio, Berrios, Kepler, Wheeler) and you see the overall value of a top 10-15 farm system.

#12 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

How many of this list of 15 do we give Bill Smith credit for?

Sano and 2-3 others prolly. He was only there what 2 years?

#13 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

The Twins have five dozen employees in scouting and development. Isn't it a little silly to credit or blame one guy?

#14 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

The Twins are missing infielders, but having the most top 100 prospects has to make you think they're in the top 5. Not a lot of large framed pitchers towards the bottom, but we do have some good rookie ballers. I think a lot of teams don't have very good catchers and I wouldn't say the Twins are terrible in that area. 4-5 range I'm feeling overall, but a lot of the top 15 are pretty much major league ready.

Edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse, 06 December 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#15 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

I would say around top 5. Part of that has to do with the fact two guys at the bottom of the top 10, Berrios and Kepler, have super high ceilings.

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Also, if Benson comes back strong and Rosario shows that he can stay at second base, the Twins may have the best. I haven't checked on the 2013 Royals system in any detail.

#17 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

The Mariners and D-Backs are solid. The Mariners might be trading some of that away though.

#18 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,401 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

The Twins have five dozen employees in scouting and development. Isn't it a little silly to credit or blame one guy?

I am by NO means a Bill Smith fan/apologist; I felt he should be fired. But when I look at the list, it kind of jumped out at me that his years weren't a vast wasteland for the farm system.

Edited by ashburyjohn, 06 December 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#19 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

I agree, you can fault him for trades and contracts but drafts I don't think so.

#20 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Systems up for top 5 consideration: Pirates, DBacks, Royals (thinned out a little), Twins, Rangers, Mariners and Cardinals. Some others that aren't far behind: Rays, Jays, Marlins, Reds, Cubs (very thin after the top 3 though) and Red Sox.

This was just a quick listing. I'm sure that I missed a deserving team or two. Overall I really liked the Twins system before the two trades regardless of pitching/hitting balance. Obviously I like the system a lot more now.

#21 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

To be completely honest, I've been bearish on how the Twins rank MLB-wise... and right now I'd put them in the Top 5.

The part that makes it even crazier is that we're not looking at a lot of potential graduations this year. Gibson will be off for sure and now possibly Hicks. You have to hope that some of the 2011 relievers improve their stock as starters (or fast-track relievers) and throw in the #4 pick in the draft (Appel? Manaea?) and we're talking, potentially, the best farm system in the league heading into 2014. I know it's a long way off, but still... wow.

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Lets flip the script for a second. Say the Twins thought THEY were the contenders but needed a CF/leadoff hitter to be taken seriously. Which of the TWINS top ten prospects would you be willing to give up for Span? Kepler, Berrios maybe? I don't know if I'd give up either for Revere. The system's deep.

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

I thought they were on the bottom of the top 10. After adding these two pitchers, I'd think they've risen a bit. Really high on Meyer as I think he's going to be a stud... Not as certain about May.

#24 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Systems up for top 5 consideration: Pirates, DBacks, Royals (thinned out a little), Twins, Rangers, Mariners and Cardinals. Some others that aren't far behind: Rays, Jays, Marlins, Reds, Cubs (very thin after the top 3 though) and Red Sox.

This was just a quick listing. I'm sure that I missed a deserving team or two. Overall I really liked the Twins system before the two trades regardless of pitching/hitting balance. Obviously I like the system a lot more now.

6. Twins
5. Jays- They dealt Marisnick and Nic to the Marlins, but still have Sanchez and Syndergaard. Also have D'Arnaud and a lot of HS talent that will b developing this year
4. Rays- 6 of their top 10 are Pitchers. Guerrieri has potential to be an ace . The rest of their system is built up with pitchers/young hitters.
3. Diamondbacks- They have 3 ACES in Skaggs/Bauer/Bradley with Skaggs being the best, but the rest of their system is weak.
2. Rangers- The System speaks for itself. Profar,Olt, Perez, and a seemingly endless supply of top Latin American talent. I was considering putting them at 1, but their younger talent is about ready to play their first Full league season this year, after this year when Walker and Zunino make their Debut's, the Rangers will be #1. Texas lacks a real ace in their system as well, although Perez will be a good 2.
1. Mariners- Walker is an Ace, Paxton and Hultzen will top out at #2's (which is very hard to find these days), Zunino is a a star behind the plate and his bat backs that up. Maurer is regarded very highly in their system after his breakout year.
Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I like our system but we don't have a top 20 type prospect (yet). We have a lot of guys in the 20-80 range but no certain elite prospect. I think Sano and Buxton could get there but they aren't there yet. I think 1-10, we're probably good as anyone but a few teams probably have a better 1-5 or so. I think we're probably a top 8 system but I don't know if we're much higher than that.

On the plus side, next year, despite losing Hicks and Gibson, we'll be adding the #4 pick and hopefully we'll have great years out of Meyer and May to see them shoot up the rankings.

#26 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

I don't feel I have enough info to say where the Twins rank. I don't know enough about all the teams and the ranking systems. The one that jumps out at me is Seattle with 3 top 20 pitchers and #3 catcher in the minors according to John Mayo...(only one opinion). Regarding the Twins, two stand out to me: 1. Experts have said it is extremely rare to have 2 legit #1 prospects and the Twins have that in Sano and Buxton. 2. Until recently we had those two guys and solid offense in the pipe and now we add 2 very legit pitching prospects.

We will always need more pitching but I feel really good about where this is going. So far the off season has been very pleasing.

#27 twinkiesfan11

twinkiesfan11

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

6. Twins
5. Jays- They dealt Marisnick and Nic to the Marlins, but still have Sanchez and Syndergaard. Also have D'Arnaud and a lot of HS talent that will b developing this year
4. Rays- 6 of their top 10 are Pitchers. Guerrieri has potential to be an ace . The rest of their system is built up with pitchers/young hitters.
3. Diamondbacks- They have 3 ACES in Skaggs/Bauer/Bradley with Skaggs being the best, but the rest of their system is weak.
2. Rangers- The System speaks for itself. Profar,Olt, Perez, and a seemingly endless supply of top Latin American talent. I was considering putting them at 1, but their younger talent is about ready to play their first Full league season this year, after this year when Walker and Zunino make their Debut's, the Rangers will be #1. Texas lacks a real ace in their system as well, although Perez will be a good 2.
1. Mariners- Walker is an Ace, Paxton and Hultzen will top out at #2's (which is very hard to find these days), Zunino is a a star behind the plate and his bat backs that up. Maurer is regarded very highly in their system after his breakout year.

Not to be a huge homer but I think it could be argued that the Twins stack up pretty well with the Jays and Rays after adding Meyer and May. The D-Backs could move down if they pull the trigger on any of the rumored megadeals they've been rumored to be involved in. It looks like they're hellbent on moving Bauer or Skaggs for a premium shortstop.

#28 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

[quote name='twinkiesfan11'][quote name='jtrinaldi'][quote name='kab21']Systems up for top 5 consideration: Pirates, DBacks, Royals (thinned out a little), Twins, Rangers, Mariners and Cardinals. Some others that aren't far behind: Rays, Jays, Marlins, Reds, Cubs (very thin after the top 3 though) and Red Sox.

This was just a quick listing. I'm sure that I missed a deserving team or two. Overall I really liked the Twins system before the two trades regardless of pitching/hitting balance. Obviously I like the system a lot more now.[/QUOTE]
6. Twins
1. Mariners- Walker is an Ace, Paxton and Hultzen will top out at #2's (which is very hard to find these days), Zunino is a a star behind the plate and his bat backs that up. Maurer is regarded very highly in their system after his breakout year.[/QUOTE]

Not to be a huge homer but I think it could be argued that the Twins stack up pretty well with the Jays and Rays after adding Meyer and May. The D-Backs could move down if they pull the trigger on any of the rumored megadeals they've been rumored to be involved in. It looks like they're hellbent on moving Bauer or Skaggs for a premium shortstop.[/QUOTE]
if the Rays trade Shields for Myers, Rays jump to 3 . If Rays deal Shields for Myers, and AZ trades either Bauer or Skaggs (Skaggs is the best one of the 2, and the Indians refused to make a deal for Asrubdal because they wanted Skaggs in it) this is what it looks like. I guess the whole wild card will be "Does Jupton get dealt". Apparently the Royals beat writer expects a Myers for Shields trade to be completed sooner rather than later.
1. Seattle
2. Tampa
3. Texas
4. Jays
5. Twins
Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932

#29 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

6. Twins

This seems to be pretty spot on. I think graduation is going to hit the top six somewhat evenly this year.

#30 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Lets flip the script for a second. Say the Twins thought THEY were the contenders but needed a CF/leadoff hitter to be taken seriously. Which of the TWINS top ten prospects would you be willing to give up for Span? Kepler, Berrios maybe? I don't know if I'd give up either for Revere. The system's deep.

Good question. I would want to hold on to Kepler and Berrios as much as the very top prospects, so I would be more inclined to send Benson, Harrison, or Boyd and maybe a lower guy like Hermsen. And that's for Span. Revere? Certainly none of the top 10-12.