Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Terry Ryan: Twins still shopping Willingham and Morneau

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Terry Ryan said a little bit ago that the Twins are still shopping Willingham and Morneau if we can get more starting pitching. Personally i think we'd need to get a front end starter to move either of them.

I don't want to see either go.
I bent my wookie...

#2 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Where did you read that they were "shopping" these two? Both are available, but shopping? Haven't heard that.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#3 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I would hate to see Morneau gone, although I have long assumed that we would at some point either this offseason or, more likely, at the deadline.

Then again, without knowing what they might bring back, I'm completely ambivalent. Aside from Mauer, I don't think anyone on this team is untouchable.

#4 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Get 'em gone. Find an all glove CF and an all glove SS along with some decent pitching prospects. If the only vets on the team come opening day are Doumit, Mauer and Carroll, I think we have to believe JR reads this message board.

#5 roberallen

roberallen

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

At this point - I'd take another Vance Worley's... after looking at his MiLB number I see him as a Scott Baker type #3 starter. Give me a young rotation with some power-arms that have some promise and I'll role with Mauer, Doumitt, Carroll, Plouffe, Parmelee, Dozier, Hicks, Arcia & co.

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,827 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I've never heard Ryan ever admit to shopping anyone. If he did, I'd give him credit for commiting to a rebuild instead of only passively implying the team is doing so.

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,827 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

The Reds are still trying to get Ludwick to sign a two year deal but he wants more. The Twins have a left fielder under contract for 2 years. I'd take a couple of the Reds arms for him.

#8 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Not Surprised by this at all. Willingham and his contract are a steal right now, now matter how bad his defense is. Reportedly the Rockies think they can get something for Cuddyer and he was much much much much worse the our boy Josh. I think Willingham might be able to get us a little bit of a haul (more than we got for Revere or Span). Im not to sure on what Morneaus value is....but im pretty sure Terry Ryan does at this point, and if he trades him its only if he believe Morneau wont get any better or he wont recieve anymore for him

#9 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Ok maybe I didnt word that the greatest...he's listening to offers for those two. If we get a good offer I wouldn't be suprised if they take it.
I bent my wookie...

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

He said "never say never" and he also said the return would have to be significant, because the fans will not be happy if he starts sending all the major leaguers out.

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

The Reds are still trying to get Ludwick to sign a two year deal but he wants more. The Twins have a left fielder under contract for 2 years. I'd take a couple of the Reds arms for him.

Honestly, I'd want more than what they have. Willingham gives the team a real masher. Without him, the offense will really struggle next year. They can't trade him for some B-/C+ arms (which is what the Reds have).

#12 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

He said "never say never" and he also said the return would have to be significant, because the fans will not be happy if he starts sending all the major leaguers out.

I agree, but after the 2 CF moves, you would expect to get big leaguers, maybe even ones owed money, for Morneau and Willingham. While many of us would like to see both moved for more pitching prospects, the casual fans would need to see something immediately tangible to be able to swallow a trade of those two. Especially Morneau.

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Honestly, I'd want more than what they have. Willingham gives the team a real masher. Without him, the offense will really struggle next year. They can't trade him for some B-/C+ arms (which is what the Reds have).

I think Tony Cingrani will have moved his ranking up considerably from the preseason, likely at least an A- now? You would have to consider a deal with him a part of it. Goes with exactly the strategy they are currently pursuing. Is there a MI to pluck out of the Reds org., too?

#14 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think the Twins are listening, not so much shopping. I'm shocked though with some of these deals that Willingham's name has yet to be brought up somewhere.

#15 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

[quote name='jokin'][quote name='gunnarthor'][quote name='nicksaviking']The Reds are still trying to get Ludwick to sign a two year deal but he wants more. The Twins have a left fielder under contract for 2 years. I'd take a couple of the Reds arms for him.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'd want more than what they have. Willingham gives the team a real masher. Without him, the offense will really struggle next year. They can't trade him for some B-/C+ arms (which is what the Reds have).[/QUOTE]

I think Tony Cingrani will have moved his ranking up considerably from the preseason, likely at least an A- now? You would have to consider a deal with him a part of it. Goes with exactly the strategy they are currently pursuing. Is there a MI to pluck out of the Reds org., too?[/QUOTE]

Billy Hamilton has played some SS

#16 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

TR is probably asking for a HUGE haul for either Willingham or Morneau, like was said earlier in this thread. These last two trades are great for the organization. Plenty of OF's for the Twins to call-up. Would be fun to see what TR could get for W or M, but I would be happy if they stayed pat from here out. Revere and Span had to go to clear the way for HIcks and ultimately, Buxton

#17 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Cingrani is no doubt a good prospect but he's a B+ at best since there are questions about whether or not he can stick at starter. Stephenson would be my target even if he was only in low A last year.