Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Here's An Idea - Twins acquire Santana and R.A. Dickey

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Knotholemike

Knotholemike

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Whether you believe the Twins can compete in 2013 or not would it be crazy to acquire Johan Santana and R.A. Dickey from the Mets? From the Twins perspective they would get at least one top of the rotation pitcher and possibly two if Santana regains his form after several years of injuries. Neither is signed to a long-term contract, though a 2-year, say $30M extension to Dickey would not necessarily be ridiculous. From the Mets perspective they would be trading a valuable commodity, a top-flight pitcher, but they would also be dumping about $31.5M in obligations for 2013 and $5.5M in obligations for 2014. Why it works: for the Twins these two pitchers would make them competitive in 2013 without breaking the bank as their payroll would rise to about $102M, maybe $105M+ if they signed yet another FA pitcher. They could take on that extra salary knowing this big splash would probably sell enough tickets to cushion the increase. For 2014, the additional payroll obligations - Dickey and a Santana buyout or extension - would be offset by the salaries of Blackburn ($5.5M) and Morneau ($15M) coming off the books. For the Mets, they get much needed breathing room to reset and rebuild for 2014 and beyond. Can it be done? The Twins may have to throw in a prospect or two to sweeten the deal and it might take a fairly good one that could help the Mets in say 2015. The deal would not compromise the Twins' flexibility and it might make them really competitive in their division in 2013.

#2 CC7

CC7

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

no thank you

#3 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

No thanks.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'll trade Guerra back for Santana...

#5 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,296 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Whether you believe the Twins can compete in 2013 or not would it be crazy to acquire Johan Santana and R.A. Dickey from the Mets? From the Twins perspective they would get at least one top of the rotation pitcher and possibly two if Santana regains his form after several years of injuries. Neither is signed to a long-term contract, though a 2-year, say $30M extension to Dickey would not necessarily be ridiculous. From the Mets perspective they would be trading a valuable commodity, a top-flight pitcher, but they would also be dumping about $31.5M in obligations for 2013 and $5.5M in obligations for 2014. Why it works: for the Twins these two pitchers would make them competitive in 2013 without breaking the bank as their payroll would rise to about $102M, maybe $105M+ if they signed yet another FA pitcher. They could take on that extra salary knowing this big splash would probably sell enough tickets to cushion the increase. For 2014, the additional payroll obligations - Dickey and a Santana buyout or extension - would be offset by the salaries of Blackburn ($5.5M) and Morneau ($15M) coming off the books. For the Mets, they get much needed breathing room to reset and rebuild for 2014 and beyond. Can it be done? The Twins may have to throw in a prospect or two to sweeten the deal and it might take a fairly good one that could help the Mets in say 2015. The deal would not compromise the Twins' flexibility and it might make them really competitive in their division in 2013.

Obviously this would be risky, but it seems worth thinking about. I would love to have Santana back and Dickey won the NL Cy Young last year. BUT I suspect that the Mets could do better elsewhere, unless the Twins are willing to give up one or two of their top prospects.

#6 Knotholemike

Knotholemike

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

So you want to see more of Luis Perdomo, Samuel Deduno, Cole Devries, etc.?

#7 Knotholemike

Knotholemike

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

The trade-off for the Mets is that they can't get both salary relief and top prospects. Remember, they are still paying Bernie Madoff's victims. Money is still tight; not by design but by necessity. Maybe the Twins would have to part with a Berrios, but maybe not.

#8 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

I would be ok with a Santana and cash (to make salaries match) for Morneau swap. Santana is just too much of a risk to invest any time or money at this point. Trading for Morneau gives you a pitcher that could be great for a player you are not going to resign.

#9 Knotholemike

Knotholemike

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'll trade Guerra back for Santana...

I'd throw him in too.

#10 Knotholemike

Knotholemike

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

I would be ok with a Santana and cash (to make salaries match) for Morneau swap. Santana is just too much of a risk to invest any time or money at this point. Trading for Morneau gives you a pitcher that could be great for a player you are not going to resign.

Unfortunately, the Mets are in rebuilding mode so trading Santana for Morneau nets them nothing. With the Nationals, Braves and Phillies all significantly better than the Mets in 2013 and 2014, the Mets would want two things: 1) salary relief; and 2) prospect(s) who could help them in 2015 and beyond.

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

I think the Mets would be fools to do so. They would minimize their return for Dickey by forcing Santana's contract. They should be able to get someone useful for Dickey alone. They can afford to bite the bullet on one more year of Santana since they are making no effort to compete this year.

#12 Knotholemike

Knotholemike

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

I think the Mets would be fools to do so. They would minimize their return for Dickey by forcing Santana's contract. They should be able to get someone useful for Dickey alone. They can afford to bite the bullet on one more year of Santana since they are making no effort to compete this year.

They might be able to "afford" one more year of Santana, but they would be fools to do so. They will NOT be able to compete with the Nationals, Phillies or Braves over the next two years so keeping Santana is like throwing money down a deep hole. If I'm a GM who needs pitching I would be all over them on these two pitchers.

#13 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I would throw in prospects like Harrison and goodrum along with benson to get the deal done. I thought this post was going to be ridiculous but really it makes total sense to me. The mets have to get rid of the salaries and if they can get some b to c prospects I'm sure they would dumb dickey to make it happen. Getting rid of Santana's contract is worth more to the mets than most people are assuming.

#14 Joe

Joe

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I would throw in prospects like Harrison and goodrum along with benson to get the deal done. I thought this post was going to be ridiculous but really it makes total sense to me. The mets have to get rid of the salaries and if they can get some b to c prospects I'm sure they would dumb dickey to make it happen. Getting rid of Santana's contract is worth more to the mets than most people are assuming.

Haha. I'm assuming this is complete snark.

Seriously, I miss BYTO.

#15 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

I would throw in Blackburn to his contract is getting cheaper every day.

#16 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

I would only do it if the Twins could bring in A-Rod as well, to help give competition for Plouffe at 3B, also maybe a veteran guy like Vernon Wells could help stabilize the FO

#17 Knotholemike

Knotholemike

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

I would only do it if the Twins could bring in A-Rod as well, to help give competition for Plouffe at 3B, also maybe a veteran guy like Vernon Wells could help stabilize the FO

Dumbass

#18 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Actually i suggested this earlier , not the R.A.Dickey part , but signing Liriano and trading for Johan .
with a spanish speaking pitching coach and adding a spanish speaking catcher , reuniting Frankie
with his mentor could add up to catching lightning in a bottle, i would tade some of our top 20 suspects and ask for 22
of the 30 million Santana is owed,as for suspect s, maybe Morales, Salcedo and Hudson Boyd

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,926 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

the Mets would want two things: 1) salary relief; and 2) prospect(s) who could help them in 2015 and beyond.

Sound like any team we know?

#20 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

If this would get it done, go for it. I doubt it, but worse things have happened. We would need to extend DIckey and have the Mets pick up some salary. But just getting Santana for some C prospects and Blackburn is a thought

#21 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

ok who then plays 1st and who plays right field?

#22 Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

picard-facepalm.jpg

#23 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Dickey is a strange case. He's a bargain for 2013 at $5 million. Would I bother extending him, no. I got him for $5. He is also a nice trade chip if someone wants him. If he pitches great and you still got him, trade bait in July. Yes, he is a knuckleballer, but he is also ancient. I could think of better ways to spend $20-25 million over the next two years. I would love to see Santana return to the Twins. At what price? A couple of prospects. But having the Mets eat too much salary, you might as well keep him yourself, then.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#24 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

Haha. I'm assuming this is complete snark.

Seriously, I miss BYTO.

That which we do not speak of.

#25 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

It would be great for the fans, help the young pitchers and put ass in the seats too. The Twins would come out smelling like a rose!

#26 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

The Mets would demand a top 5 prospect and a top 10 prospect to start things off. This is not going to happen.

#27 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

It should be noted that dickey is coming off a Cy Young winning season, I'm pretty sure guys like that don't get traded for peanuts.... Just ask frank viola and the 1991 World Series champion Minnesota Twins

#28 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

In 1991 Viola was coming off a third place finish for the Cy Young as a Met. It was his final season as a Met and an All Star.

#29 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

I know that I was talking about who the twins got in that trade to help them win it all in 91

#30 Knotholemike

Knotholemike

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

The Mets would demand a top 5 prospect and a top 10 prospect to start things off. This is not going to happen.

Not necessarily. The Twins do NOT need salary relief, but the Mets do as they are still paying off Madoff's victims. The Mets can either get salary relief, top prospects, or some combination, but not both. As I pointed out in the original post the only obligation for the Twins is $35M over the next 2 years. They might have to part with a couple of prospects but not necessarily a top 5, not if they are taking on all of Santana's $25.5M salary. One of the Twins' outfield prospects would probably have to be part of any deal.