Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Rangers Shopping Derek Holland

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I am holding to my Holland is an ace view (or a strong #2type on a good team). I am a huge fan of his. There is nothing to not like about him.
Young (26), throws hard (93mph fastball in 12), strikeout pitcher (7.4 last 2 yrs), great contract, lefty, postseason success......nothing to not like.
With KC interested & having Will Myers to dangle.....chances are slim if they want him first. Doubt Ryan would dangle anyone of prospect status in top 4/5.
Not gonna happen, but this would be MY great offseason move!!

I don't think he is an ace, but I agree that he is a perfect fit for what we are (should be) looking for. Young, team control through 2014-2015 (when we should be back competing again. I think there is a huge advantage for a pitcher to get out of Texas. His numbers would look much better with half his games played at Target Field.

Does it seem that all of the SP we have heard rumors about are lefty?

#22 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

I am holding to my Holland is an ace view (or a strong #2type on a good team). I am a huge fan of his. There is nothing to not like about him.
Young (26), throws hard (93mph fastball in 12), strikeout pitcher (7.4 last 2 yrs), great contract, lefty, postseason success......nothing to not like.
With KC interested & having Will Myers to dangle.....chances are slim if they want him first. Doubt Ryan would dangle anyone of prospect status in top 4/5.
Not gonna happen, but this would be MY great offseason move!!

I don't think he is an ace, but I agree that he is a perfect fit for what we are (should be) looking for. Young, team control through 2014-2015 (when we should be back competing again. I think there is a huge advantage for a pitcher to get out of Texas. His numbers would look much better with half his games played at Target Field.

Does it seem that all of the SP we have heard rumors about are lefty?

Let me rephrase my comments on Holland......I dont think he's an ace right now......but I believe he will become one soon.
So my thoughts are more of a prediction on a 26yr old that really impresses me.

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,079 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

I have no idea what the Rangers would want for him - I think bullpen or firstbase. I wonder how high they are on Arcia? LH power plays well in TX and less so in TF. But I wonder if TX wants immediate help over a prospect.

#24 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Holland's contract - 2013 - $3.2M; 2014 - $5.4M; 2015 - $7.4M; 2016 - $10M; 2017 - $11M club option, $1.5M buyout; 2018 -$11.5M club option, $1M buyout. That's cheap, especially with new TV deal starting soon. He becomes the veteran to go along with Meyer, Gibson, and Diamond and maybe Berrios. Compare that to Guthrie at 3/$24M. Even if we had to pay part of Morneau's contract I'd do it.

#25 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Holland's contract is spectacularly good for whatever team has him......bad for him tho

#26 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Holland's contract is spectacularly good for whatever team has him......bad for him tho

Makes you wonder if the option years become guaranteed if he gets traded...

It would still be a good contract for the Twins, just not a great one.

#27 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hey, the Rangers need a catcher! I wonder...

nah... I won't go there again. :)

Reever, Morneau, and Butera?

#28 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,753 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Why would that happen?

#29 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Even if Texas signs a starter why would Texas be trading SP/ Feldman, Oswalt, and Dempster are off the rotation, Holland becomes your 4th starter, Lewis your fifth. A prospect can take over when the summer heat becomes too much for one of them.

#30 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

It would still be a good contract for the Twins, just not a great one.

He's still only 31 at the end of the option years. Compare that to what we paid Pavano. Holland has much more upside. Send them Revere, Morneau, $7M, and choice of Boyd, Williams or Hauser, for Holland and a prospect.

Edited by ScottyB, 05 December 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#31 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

If TX wants Morneau and a Kepler level prospect, I'm hoping JR pulls the trigger

#32 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Even if Texas signs a starter why would Texas be trading SP/ Feldman, Oswalt, and Dempster are off the rotation, Holland becomes your 4th starter, Lewis your fifth. A prospect can take over when the summer heat becomes too much for one of them.

Yea - with Feliz and Lewis out until at least June, maybe we better set this aside until the trade deadline, even if they sign Grienke AND Sanchez.

#33 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

If TX wants Morneau and a Kepler level prospect, I'm hoping JR pulls the trigger

Oh man, I dont know about trading Kepler. Scouts are raving about him, and I like him alot.

#34 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

What about Hicks and Morneau? I think that is what they would ask for, not that I would pull the trigger on that deal. Maybe a throw-in from Texas like Olt or Profar...I like to kid around...but Hicks for Morneau what do you think?

#35 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

What about Hicks and Morneau? I think that is what they would ask for, not that I would pull the trigger on that deal. Maybe a throw-in from Texas like Olt or Profar...I like to kid around...but Hicks for Morneau what do you think?

Hicks and Morneau.....HELL NO

#36 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I would without a doubt trade Hicks and Morneau for Holland even if his contract wasn't so team friendly. The Twins need to address the future that Morneau isn't part of and Hicks is a nice prospect but he hasn't done anything yet and the Twins have tons of OF'ers. Holland still needs to take the step from solid starter to well above average but I'm a big Holland fan if he can get out of Texas.

#37 SpantheMan

SpantheMan

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Texas is contending. They might want to fill ml needs more than they would want to get prospects

#38 CC7

CC7

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

naww, flip
red sox : perkins, hicks, doizer, salcedo
twins: Elsburry, lester

#39 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

naww, flip
red sox : perkins, hicks, doizer, salcedo
twins: Elsburry, lester

As much as I would like this trade....I dont think the Red Sox would do it.

#40 CC7

CC7

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

i feel like they would