Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

What about Johan?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

The Mets are rumored to be shopping him and would be willing to eat a large chunk of his remaining salary. Worth an offer?

#2 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

for Benson, Swarzak, Robertson, and Guerra.

Do it.

#3 TiberTwins

TiberTwins

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

What do you think it will take to get him? What would you be willing to offer.

#4 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

I've had the same thought for a while now.

Take on most of the salary--which is something ownership could do if they chose to--and it would take almost nothing to get him. The Mets--desparate to lower payroll--might even sweeten the deal. If he's truly healthy, Santana can still be a very good starter.

#5 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

for Benson, Swarzak, Robertson, and Guerra.

Do it.

Maybe take Swarzak out of their and add someone with a bit more upside than a AAA pitcher and you probably have a deal.

#6 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Depending on how much salary the Mets want to eat, go for it. The more salary the Twins take on, the less in prospects they would have to give, Benson and Guerra and maybe another C prospect

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Short Answer - No.

Longer Answer - I want to remember the great Johan. I don't want to see this injury-plagued version.

#8 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Gomez+Humber+Guerra+the Corpse of Kevin Mulvey for Johan.

Get it done JR!

#9 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Depending on how much salary the Mets want to eat, go for it. The more salary the Twins take on, the less in prospects they would have to give, Benson and Guerra and maybe another C prospect

Couldn't like any team in the league have gotten Guerra for free recently? Why on earth would they want him in any sort of trade?

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

I've had the same thought for a while now.

Take on most of the salary--which is something ownership could do if they chose to--and it would take almost nothing to get him. The Mets--desparate to lower payroll--might even sweeten the deal. If he's truly healthy, Santana can still be a very good starter.

Are you advocating the Twins taking on most of the $30 million still owed to him? (1 year+buy out) Absolutely not. There is a good chance Johan fails to pitch 120 innings again, and who knows how "quality" those would be anyways.

If the Mets want to pick up $25 mil of the 30 owed then I would toss them a prospect back...maybe but it wouldn't be anyone in the top 15, that is for sure.

#11 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

I would give them benson and a couple C prospects for Johan if they eat 20 mil.

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Not even close to enough "eaten"

10 mil for one year of a guy who has pitched like 117 IP in the past two season is to much. Especially if you are giving up a legit prospect in Benson.

#13 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

10 mil for one year of a guy who has pitched like 117 IP in the past two season is to much. Especially if you are giving up a legit prospect in Benson.

Benson is no longer a "legit" prospect. We would be lucky to get Johan for him.

#14 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

As much as I like Johan, and would love to see him come back, he's owed $25.5mil next year & 25mil (5.5mil buyout) in 2014. No way Mets would eat enough salary for the Twins to bring him back.

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Or the Twins could wait until next year when they might be closer to contenders and sign him as a free agent and keep the prospects and the 2013 salary off the books. Of course if he pitches with any usefullness the Twins will probably never be the high bidder.

On a positive note, I'm sure the Twins training staff can keep him healthy.

#16 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

[quote name='Twins Twerp'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave'][quote name='Chance']I would give them benson and a couple C prospects for Johan if they eat 20 mil.[/QUOTE]

10 mil for one year of a guy who has pitched like 117 IP in the past two season is to much. Especially if you are giving up a legit prospect in Benson.[/QUOTE]

Benson is no longer a "legit" prospect. We would be lucky to get Johan for him.[/QUOTE]

Exactly im still trying to figure out why Bensons name is still over boards on this website. The guy is a bust. He likely will not be a major league ball player and if he is....4th OF at best.

#17 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Joe Benson, the one-year wonder? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I would go after Johann now.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#18 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Exactly im still trying to figure out why Bensons name is still over boards on this website. The guy is a bust. He likely will not be a major league ball player and if he is....4th OF at best.

So because he had 76 bad games last year he suddenly is a bust? He was a top 100 guy pre 2011 and pre 2012. His stock has dropped no doubt, but still has the potential to hit for a .800 OPS and has 20-25 HR power. Way to early to write the kid off yet.

#19 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

So because he had 76 bad games last year he suddenly is a bust? He was a top 100 guy pre 2011 and pre 2012. His stock has dropped no doubt, but still has the potential to hit for a .800 OPS and has 20-25 HR power. Way to early to write the kid off yet.

It's probably way to late to write him off as a "legit prospect" as well. At this point he seems to be more of a "put up or shut up" this year kind of prospect.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Joe Benson, the one-year wonder? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I would go after Johann now.

He OPSed .879 one season, .881 the next across A ball and into AA. Hard to call the guy a one year wonder.

I don't hold out much hope of him turning into anything but it's definitely possible. One bad season doesn't mean he suddenly turned awful.

#21 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Brad Radke has had some time off...