Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Revere on the trading block?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I saw this and quickly ran to Twins Daily for some explanation. Haha.

Interestingly, I think Revere actually is at an intriguing "sell high" point in his career. If the perception of him is that he's a switch hitting basestealer, "elite" defender, and potential .290/.300 hitter...that's probably something we should be capitalizing on. Because I still feel like there's years he may run into some bad luck, and suddenly .265 or .270 with ZERO power feels more like a weak #9 hitter, not a top-of-the-order guy.

But it just would seem like a bizarre move if the return is anything other than pitching, and in light of the fact that we just traded Span too. Nothing in the Twins' September call-ups signaled anything close to the notion that the Twins were preparing for life without Span AND Revere. Hicks hasn't gotten a look yet, nor have guys like Arcia. They didn't even throw Joe Benson back into the fire.

#22 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Morneau is also being floated. Thankfully.

I don't think Revere is a high point in his market value! I am not sure how to think otherwise. Teams aren't going to worry about one 500K season as a deal breaker.

#23 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

I find it preposterous. Trading Revere right now is selling pretty low. He is undoubtedly going to improve some this year, so that might as well be for the Twins and they can trade him after this year.

How is Justin Morneau not being talked about as a trade candidate? It is obvious that he needs to go.

The Twins are reportedly throwing his name out their.

The Twins appear to be calling around to gauge trade interest in former MVP Justin Morneau, according to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com (via Twitter).

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,736 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Morneau is also being floated. Thankfully.

I don't think Revere is a high point in his market value! I am not sure how to think otherwise. Teams aren't going to worry about one 500K season as a deal breaker.

This could be Revere's high point. I don't think it is but it could be if he struggles in 2013. He put up some pretty miserable numbers in the last two months of 2012. If that continues next season, his value will be very low.

I think the Twins should be taking offers on Morneau, Doumit, Willingham, Carroll, Revere, and Perkins. If you get good offers for any of them, take it. The team shouldn't trade all of those players but trading one or two could help immensely.

#25 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

I thaught we where paying to watch mlb here, guess not.

#26 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

I thaught we where paying to watch mlb here, guess not.

The only way this team has a future is to rebuild the farm system and get solid pitchers.

#27 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

If another team believes Revere "will undoubtedly improve" and makes us a preposterously good offer, cool.

#28 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

If another team believes Revere "will undoubtedly improve" and makes us a preposterously good offer, cool.

I like Revere but that is a big if.....

#29 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

I find it preposterous. Trading Revere right now is selling pretty low. He is undoubtedly going to improve some this year, so that might as well be for the Twins and they can trade him after this year.

265/310/300

That was Revere's last two months and 250 PAs. If that guy shows up for a significant portion of this season, then his value will indeed plummet. There's very few players who will "undoubtedly improve", and a guy with that stretch under his belt, (And his most recent stretch at that.) would not be among them. If they can market the "675 OPS" Revere from 2012 and get anything in return, then by all means, do it.

#30 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

265/310/300

That was Revere's last two months and 250 PAs. If that guy shows up for a significant portion of this season, then his value will indeed plummet. There's very few players who will "undoubtedly improve", and a guy with that stretch under his belt, (And his most recent stretch at that.) would not be among them. If they can market the "675 OPS" Revere from 2012 and get anything in return, then by all means, do it.

That guy did show up for a significant portion of 2011, 50% of his PA's in fact, and there apparently is still plenty of interest. So why exactly would next season be so different?

#31 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

[quote name='Oxtung'][quote name='FrodaddyG'][quote name='Shane Wahl']I find it preposterous. Trading Revere right now is selling pretty low. He is undoubtedly going to improve some this year, so that might as well be for the Twins and they can trade him after this year.[/QUOTE]
265/310/300

That was Revere's last two months and 250 PAs. If that guy shows up for a significant portion of this season, then his value will indeed plummet. There's very few players who will "undoubtedly improve", and a guy with that stretch under his belt, (And his most recent stretch at that.) would not be among them. If they can market the "675 OPS" Revere from 2012 and get anything in return, then by all means, do it.[/QUOTE]

That guy did show up for a significant portion of 2011, 50% of his PA's in fact, and there apparently is still plenty of interest. So why exactly would next season be so different?[/QUOTE]
Because if his overall line keeps trending where it did the last two months, the not-really-as-good-as-it-looks 675 OPS turns into a 620 OPS and suddenly the "serviceable hitter who plays great defense" becomes a "defense-only guy" as a trade chip.

#32 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,995 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

265/310/300

That was Revere's last two months and 250 PAs.

And those numbers are sickly similar to his 2011 numbers, .267/.310/.309.

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#33 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

265/310/300

That was Revere's last two months and 250 PAs.

And those numbers are sickly similar to his 2011 numbers, .267/.310/.309.

SSS. Only 481 PAs. He is OBVIOUSLY due to explode this year.

#34 messed up

messed up

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Trading Span for a very good prospect I can live with but Revere too. I'd prefer to watch a major league team next year thank you!

#35 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Guys with Revere's speed don't just go year after year with BABIPs in the low .300s. Its not a statistical certainty, but for my money I'll take the over on Revere popping out at least two years in the next 5 where his BABIP is north of .340.

And if your retort is based on his ground ball tendencies, my answer is that you have to weigh those against his IFFB tendencies, which is almost zero.

#36 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 6,962 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I like Revere, but he didn't exactly have a prototypical breakout year. His line drive and walk rates both declined slightly from his rookie campaign. 41 combined infield and bunt hits in 2012 is impressive, but if he loses even a tick of speed, his offensive value will take a big hit. Plenty of players take a stride forward in their age 25 season, but he's not trending up at the moment.

#37 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

[quote name='FrodaddyG'][quote name='Oxtung'][quote name='FrodaddyG'][quote name='Shane Wahl']I find it preposterous. Trading Revere right now is selling pretty low. He is undoubtedly going to improve some this year, so that might as well be for the Twins and they can trade him after this year.[/QUOTE]
265/310/300

That was Revere's last two months and 250 PAs. If that guy shows up for a significant portion of this season, then his value will indeed plummet. There's very few players who will "undoubtedly improve", and a guy with that stretch under his belt, (And his most recent stretch at that.) would not be among them. If they can market the "675 OPS" Revere from 2012 and get anything in return, then by all means, do it.[/QUOTE]

That guy did show up for a significant portion of 2011, 50% of his PA's in fact, and there apparently is still plenty of interest. So why exactly would next season be so different?[/QUOTE]
Because if his overall line keeps trending where it did the last two months, the not-really-as-good-as-it-looks 675 OPS turns into a 620 OPS and suddenly the "serviceable hitter who plays great defense" becomes a "defense-only guy" as a trade chip.[/QUOTE]

Sure....of course if his May/June/July 2012 splits are what he puts up in 2013 then his numbers look like : .320/.350/.380 with an OPS in the mid .700's. You're picking one half of the season and claiming that is the mostly likely outcome without solid explanation of why that will be the case. You seem to be saying, "my gut says"....

The more likely outcome is that you see a player that is similar to his minor league and major league norms. IE what we saw this year. A ~.300/.330/.340 player with great speed and is dangerous on the base paths. If that is indeed the production in 2013 then his trade value next year will be roughly the same as it is this year.

Edited by Oxtung, 05 December 2012 - 04:54 PM.
typo

#38 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

If Morneau has a solid couple of months he could be a hot commodity come July, other then dumping salary I just don't really see the benefit of trading him now, as I'd be shocked if he brought anything in return in terms of prospects. He had a decent year, this year but remember he was dealing with wrist problems as well. If the wrist, neck and concussions are fine he could have a solid year.

At the same time if someone wants Revere or Willingham I think they need to think about it, if they can return something in terms of high ceiling pitchers I'd take a look. There is too much depth both close (Parmelee, Hicks, Arcia, Benson) and far (Kepler, Buxton, as well as others). That if an offer is on the table for Revere or Willingham you would have to really consider it.

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,779 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

But you will have delayed the rebuild, because you are getting a low A guy in 2013, instead of 2012....

#40 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

It depends. If, let's say, Rangers are asking for Revere in addition to Morneau for Holland (or Holland and XX prospect) well, I would think seriously about it. If it is Revere for a not so good prospect(s), well, I keep Revere.