Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Revere on the trading block?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Jon Paul Morosi of Fox Sports reports Revere's name has popped up as a possible trade candidate.

What could the Twins realistically get for Revere?

#2 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

Here's he link:

https://mobile.twitt...192321849151489

I don't think this is a terrible idea, if they think they can get some decent pitching back. Hicks could be ready sooner rather than later and thy can use a placeholder in he meantime - even Mastroianni.

#3 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

Here's he link:

https://mobile.twitt...192321849151489

I don't think this is a terrible idea, if they think they can get some decent pitching back. Hicks could be ready sooner rather than later and thy can use a placeholder in he meantime - even Mastroianni.

Im with you i dont think its a terrible idea, but I think we would need a better placeholder than Mastroianni. If he can get a decent PITCHING prospect back we should pull the trigger. Although i was getting excited to see Ben play CF this year.

#4 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:28 AM

As always when it comes to trade rumors it depends on what the return is. If Revere can bring back a potential starter with #2 starter makeup you obviously pull that trigger (however unlikely that is) but if you're looking at a C prospect or 4 or 5 starter that sounds like a terrible deal. Trading Span's production was somewhat mitigated by Revere's presence. Revere could replace much of Span's production offensively and defensively and costs a 10th of Span's salary which could then, presumably, be used to improve the team elsewhere. He was a semi proven commodity.

Trying to replace Revere at this moment becomes more problematic. While we have a few potential candidates in the minors none of them are sure things. The list of great minor leaguers who failed to produce in the majors is long. What if you trade Revere and Hicks doesn't pan out? You might be able to replace their defensive value but who do the Twins have to bat leadoff? Dozier? Florimon? Short term Carroll might work but he certainly isn't ideal.

On the other hand we could hold onto Revere for the next 7-12 months and wait to see what we really have in Hicks. Then if Hicks looks at least serviceable we could pull the trigger. Holding Revere for another year should do little to diminish his value. Revere would still have 4 years of team control left.

I guess my point here is there is a big risk in trading Revere at this point because there isn't a player waiting to replace him. We have some prospects but they're just that, prospects. We have no idea how they will ultimately pan out. So the reward would have to be commensurate with the risk. If the return is not of high enough value there is no need to rush trading Revere as he will have value still in July, next December or anytime in the next few years.

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,725 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

Even I'm not sold on trading Revere now that Span is gone but if the deal is right, you take the risk and deal him.

I always figured we'd be talking about dealing Revere a year from now

#6 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

If the Twins are punting on 2013 (and it *sounds* like they are...), might as well move him in a buyers market.
Better to move him a year early, than a year late where more of his warts are exposed and the return dwindles.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,725 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

If the Twins are punting on 2013 (and it *sounds* like they are...), might as well move him in a buyers market.
Better to move him a year early, than a year late where more of his warts are exposed and the return dwindles.

Absolutely. The only reason I'm hesitant is:

1. Hicks isn't quite ready yet

2. I didn't think we'd still be looking at a seller's market after Upton and Span moved to new teams.

But hey, if the market is there, go for it.

#8 phalvorson

phalvorson

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

My guess is that Revere would go in a package. As the sole piece in a trade, he wouldn't bring much value back. Revere & Morneau for a #1 or #2 starting pitcher? Revere & Gray for a back-end rotation guy or a high-upside prospect? I think that's the way we need to look at it.

#9 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Threads...................

Why not deal him for a pitcher? They have little pitching, all indications are they have decided legit FAs are too expensive. You have Hicks, Arcia, Buxton, maybe others up in a year or three.....why not trade him? How else do you get pitching?

#10 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

An outfield of Willingham, Mastrionni, and Parmalee may be the worst defensive unit in a long time. If Reverre doesn't get traded, I think we see Mastrioni out there a lot and would rarely see Willingham AND Parmalee playing together. If you trade Revere, we're looking at some serious holes in what was once a tea strength in the outfield.

#11 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

If the return is good, do it. We can piece together a CF from Benson, Mastroianni, and Hicks. Trading Revere away would basically be admission that they're starting the transition to the young guys in the minors anyway, so at that point you want to find out what you have in Benson and Hicks, and we've seen Mastro do a decent job in part time duty already.

#12 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

We still don't quite know what we have with Revere yet...at least from an offensive side...like his OBP potential. He's still a kid himself, what, a year older than Hicks? Not even arbitration eligible yet?

I mean, I'm all for trading him, don't get me wrong...

but it's not like he's part of the old guard that we need to push aside for the new guard. That wouldn't be the reason. The reason would be a team wanting a young, inexpensive CF who covers a lot of ground who has potential...but also some major league experience already.

#13 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

My guess is that Revere would go in a package. As the sole piece in a trade, he wouldn't bring much value back. Revere & Morneau for a #1 or #2 starting pitcher? Revere & Gray for a back-end rotation guy or a high-upside prospect? I think that's the way we need to look at it.

Whaaa?

#14 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I kind of view it this way... If you're trying to compete this year you're not trading away both of your proven center fielders. The minute you trade away the second one, you're turning your eye to the future. If they trade Revere I assume other pieces are getting traded as well. That's what makes this interesting.

I think part of this story is perhaps which side caused Revere's name to come up as a trade candidate. Are the Twins shopping him actively, or are other teams inquiring if he's available? It's a subtle difference that doesn't ultimately matter much, but knowing that would give a clue towards their plans for next year.

#15 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm not a big believer in Revere as a long-term starter in this league. If the demand is there, trade him now.

#16 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

1. Hicks isn't quite ready yet

You don't know that. Only those that work with him everyday do---like the minor league staff. Saw him play in Florida last winter--pretty impressive with his size and speed. Hit a long double off the center field wall the day I was there.

#17 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hicks is certainly ready defensively, the question is, is his bat ready. He hit well in AA last year so it isn't crazy to think he could at least hold his own in the majors, my issue is starting his clock early, but at the end of the day if you can trade Revere for anything of value you do it.

#18 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

I find it preposterous. Trading Revere right now is selling pretty low. He is undoubtedly going to improve some this year, so that might as well be for the Twins and they can trade him after this year.

How is Justin Morneau not being talked about as a trade candidate? It is obvious that he needs to go.

#19 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

I find it preposterous. Trading Revere right now is selling pretty low. He is undoubtedly going to improve some this year, so that might as well be for the Twins and they can trade him after this year.

How is Justin Morneau not being talked about as a trade candidate? It is obvious that he needs to go.

I disagree with you there. As Revere approaches arbitration he'll get somewhat more expensive, and unless you see him having a breakout offensive performance in the near future, his trade value will only decrease.

#20 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

I find it preposterous to say "undoubtedly going to improve" about virtually any player.

In the specific case of Revere, any leg injury, or just a few points off the batting average, and what are you left with?

#21 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I saw this and quickly ran to Twins Daily for some explanation. Haha.

Interestingly, I think Revere actually is at an intriguing "sell high" point in his career. If the perception of him is that he's a switch hitting basestealer, "elite" defender, and potential .290/.300 hitter...that's probably something we should be capitalizing on. Because I still feel like there's years he may run into some bad luck, and suddenly .265 or .270 with ZERO power feels more like a weak #9 hitter, not a top-of-the-order guy.

But it just would seem like a bizarre move if the return is anything other than pitching, and in light of the fact that we just traded Span too. Nothing in the Twins' September call-ups signaled anything close to the notion that the Twins were preparing for life without Span AND Revere. Hicks hasn't gotten a look yet, nor have guys like Arcia. They didn't even throw Joe Benson back into the fire.

#22 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Morneau is also being floated. Thankfully.

I don't think Revere is a high point in his market value! I am not sure how to think otherwise. Teams aren't going to worry about one 500K season as a deal breaker.

#23 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

The Twins are reportedly throwing his name out their.

The Twins appear to be calling around to gauge trade interest in former MVP Justin Morneau, according to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com (via Twitter).

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,725 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Morneau is also being floated. Thankfully.

I don't think Revere is a high point in his market value! I am not sure how to think otherwise. Teams aren't going to worry about one 500K season as a deal breaker.

This could be Revere's high point. I don't think it is but it could be if he struggles in 2013. He put up some pretty miserable numbers in the last two months of 2012. If that continues next season, his value will be very low.

I think the Twins should be taking offers on Morneau, Doumit, Willingham, Carroll, Revere, and Perkins. If you get good offers for any of them, take it. The team shouldn't trade all of those players but trading one or two could help immensely.

#25 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

I thaught we where paying to watch mlb here, guess not.

#26 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

I thaught we where paying to watch mlb here, guess not.

The only way this team has a future is to rebuild the farm system and get solid pitchers.

#27 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

If another team believes Revere "will undoubtedly improve" and makes us a preposterously good offer, cool.

#28 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

If another team believes Revere "will undoubtedly improve" and makes us a preposterously good offer, cool.

I like Revere but that is a big if.....

#29 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

265/310/300

That was Revere's last two months and 250 PAs. If that guy shows up for a significant portion of this season, then his value will indeed plummet. There's very few players who will "undoubtedly improve", and a guy with that stretch under his belt, (And his most recent stretch at that.) would not be among them. If they can market the "675 OPS" Revere from 2012 and get anything in return, then by all means, do it.

#30 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

265/310/300

That was Revere's last two months and 250 PAs. If that guy shows up for a significant portion of this season, then his value will indeed plummet. There's very few players who will "undoubtedly improve", and a guy with that stretch under his belt, (And his most recent stretch at that.) would not be among them. If they can market the "675 OPS" Revere from 2012 and get anything in return, then by all means, do it.

That guy did show up for a significant portion of 2011, 50% of his PA's in fact, and there apparently is still plenty of interest. So why exactly would next season be so different?