Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Could the Twins still trade Ben Revere?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...rade-Ben-Revere

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,236 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

I was truly looking forward to seeing Revere play CF all year. I love his hustle and his range. But if the price is right, maybe it makes sense to go with Hicks.

What if Hicks bombs? Who would take over CF then? Benson?

#3 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

I would consider the Cincinnati Reds a better trade partner than the Atlanta Braves. The Braves just signed B.J. Upton and are looking for a corner outfielder. I have to believe that now is a great time to trade Revere because CF's are at a premium and going off the market fast. If the Twins traded Revere for a starting pitcher they could always start Darin Mastroanni until Hicks or Benson was ready. The Twins might have the best outfield prospects in the majors with Benson, Buxton, Hicks, Arcia, and Rosario. Also don't forget about Nate Roberts who was terrific in the AFL.

#4 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com hears that the Twins might consider trading Ben Revere.

It would be a strange move, given that they just cleared room in center field for Revere by dealing Denard Span. Even more bizarre is that Morosi says they would be looking for a center fielder in return. Revere has zero power but batted .294 with 40 steals in 2012 and also offers great defense. He's under team control through 2017.

Source: Jon Paul Morosi on Twitter

#5 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Depends what they are offered for Revere--but I don't think it will be much. He has little ML service time to place trust in--so it would be a "prospect-for-prospect" trade.

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

For a pitcher Ok... For an OF'er... That don't make much sense.

#7 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

It would be the chance for Benson to step up with Hicks in the background at Rochester. Or the Twins could sign some low-end guy LIKE a Juan Pierre. Maybe bring back Delmon, who along with Liriano will make the dugout old home week. Hell, trade for Kubel and/or Cuddyer, too. Bring back Jon Rauch. If the price is right, you go for it...remember Carlos Gomez!!!!!!!!

#8 SportsPageToday.com

SportsPageToday.com

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

I was truly looking forward to seeing Revere play CF all year. I love his hustle and his range. But if the price is right, maybe it makes sense to go with Hicks.

Revere is a great fielder, but Hicks has a few tools that Revere lacks. I would be alright with the trade as long as that what we would get in return would be at least a SP better than the potential free agents that they have been linked to during the beginning of this years winter meetings, not to high on Jurrjens' out there.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Does moving Span and Revere cause the Twins to consider moving Rosario back to the OF? I hope not, I like him at 2B.

#10 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

Revere is a great fielder, but Hicks has a few tools that Revere lacks. I would be alright with the trade as long as that what we would get in return would be at least a SP better than the potential free agents that they have been linked to during the beginning of this years winter meetings, not to high on Jurrjens' out there.

i would take another high reward prospect in return....building towards 2015

#11 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Or ruf from the phillys

#12 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

So who needs Ben? Phillies, Reds, Braves?

#13 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

If we can get a solid minor league pitcher I dont mind this at all. Leave it up to an open competition next year between Hicks/Benson or someone else. 2013 seems like a lost cause...total rebuilding year.

#14 kcm

kcm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

The Rays?

#15 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

The Rays?

Its tough trading with the Rays though, they have a great front office and they usually know what the hell theyre doing when it comes to trades. Most likely candidates would probably Braves and Reds. Maybe there is a wild card team out there who would like Revere.

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

What the hell? I have to wonder if a Revere-Hermsen-Salcedo package would have worked in place of Span. I would rather have Span. And that would include trading Span later, potentially.

Given the cost, I can't see them trading Revere now, as in this offseason.

I wonder about Gardy's comment. OBVIOUSLY, from the get-go, Morneau was the best trade option. Watch where Hamilton goes, because if he leaves Texas and Michael Young is traded, Morneau would be very appealing to Texas.

#17 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

By the way, remember that flak given to the ST guy about a Young-Liriano trade? Hindsight . . .

#18 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

If Revere does get traded.... everyone not part of the future better be gone also like Morneau and Willingham

#19 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

Twins need pitching and more pitching. If Revere brings a decent prospect go for it.
Earlier list of outfield prospects missed Kepler.

#20 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Is a Revere for Hellickson trade possible?

#21 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Trade em. Rebuild the pitching throughout the org.

#22 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

Revere does some good things, but there are reason to deal him, too. While he's a great CF range, speed on the bases, and high BA,

1. He doesn't walk
2. (redacted) Hicks, Arcia, Buxton, with Willingham, Benson, maybe Roberts as bridge to Buxton.
3. His arm sucks for center. He'll be sucking up most of the balls in the outfield, but he has no arm and teams will run wild.
4. He has no power. Zero power, almost. Many of his hits are infield and don't move runners along more than one base.
5. Someone mentioned getting a crappy Juan Pierre-type to replace him. Well, his GOAL is to be Juan Pierre, because that's his upside.
6. Revere will (or should, anyway) be dealt when the kids arrive. At that time, he'll be overpriced in terms of salary. Right now he's a min salary player, which could mislead teams to give up something for him.
7. He's easily replaceable in a losing season with a platoon. While the lefty hitting guy might not be quite as good, the rh guy should be close, and if it's remotely close, that's all you need to bridge to Hicks.

Mastroianni could provide the right side of a platoon this year with a late, cheap FA getting ABs from the left side. There are plenty out there who could put up a .320 obp.

Of course, what's the point if the Twins can't get anything in return? I really don't know what the Twins could get for him. It's somewhat possible that they could get a pitching prospect that''s in the 100-150 range, but those guys are incredible variable, or they'd be in the top 50. It would be giving up Revere to throw a dart at a board.

Could the Twins trade him to the Braves? Well, I think he could play left for them (because of his arm) or center (because of range) with Upton moving to a corner. Will the Braves give up a Randall Delgado for him? Probably not. They'd probably offer Sean Gilmartin, and I suspect the Sean Gilmartins out there are Revere's value.

Revere is valuable enough to not give away for something you could just as well get in FA, but if they can get any pitcher with upside who could pitch in 2013 or 2014, they should probably pull the trigger. Revere helps the rebuild only slightly and as a bridge.

Edited by twinstalker, 05 December 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#23 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Parker's lead on this article was Gardenhire's reaction to the Span trade: "They're trading my whole damn team." Wouldn't a Revere trade be the 'coup de grace' (death blow) to 2013 and a manager who doesn't have a contract extension?

Is Terry Ryan throwing Gardy under the proverbial bus? The ONLY way that this could be good for Gardy is if a Revere trade could bring the Twins a top-of-the-rotation starter, not just a Class A phenom. Is "Bingo-Bango-Beno" with his light bat, really worth a top tier starter?

My hunch? If Revere goes, it's curtains for Gardy. He "Sleeps With the Fishes" and Ryan stands alone.

Edited by Don't Feed the Greed Guy, 05 December 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,788 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

Arcia could probably step in for awhile, though it'd be a little ugly. Oswaldo played CF through either Low A or High A.

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,788 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

Parker's lead on this article was Gardenhire's reaction to the Span trade: "They're trading my whole damn team." Wouldn't a Revere trade be the 'coup de grace' (death blow) to 2013 and a manager who doesn't have a contract extension?

Is Terry Ryan throwing Gardy under the proverbial bus? The ONLY way that this could be good for Gardy is if a Revere trade could bring the Twins a top-of-the-rotation starter, not just a Class A phenom. Is "Bingo-Bango-Beno" with his light bat, really worth a top tier starter?

My hunch? If Revere goes, it's curtains for Gardy. He "Sleeps With the Fishes" and Ryan stands alone.

Oddly enough, I think Gardy's job becomes safer if Ryan liquidates the team. Expectations will fall through the floor at that point.

#26 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Oddly enough, I think Gardy's job becomes safer if Ryan liquidates the team. Expectations will fall through the floor at that point.

Absolutely agree. Kinda gives Gardy a chance to work with his new staff and see how they coexist

#27 jwb1226

jwb1226

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Why not try and trade him for a young ml ready middle infield prospect?

#28 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

3. His arm sucks for center. He'll be sucking up most of the balls in the outfield, but he has no arm and teams will run wild.

Do you see what you did Puck!!! This runners running wild thing is running wild. lol.

Talker.. I'm ok with a deal of Revere if it brings back pitching.

If the rumors are true... I don't think Terry Ryan was knocking on the door asking... Someone or someone's must be reaching out to TR here but who knows.

Mastro can play this year... I like Mastro and would love to see what he did with an everyday gig. A decent outfielder can be picked up cheap until June or July when Hicks or whoever clears the arb thing.

If the trade brings back an OF'er... The reason for that would allude me.

#29 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

Three Revere trade threads=awesomeness

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,788 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Do you see what you did Puck!!! This runners running wild thing is running wild. lol.

Talker.. I'm ok with a deal of Revere if it brings back pitching.

If the rumors are true... I don't think Terry Ryan was knocking on the door asking... Someone or someone's must be reaching out to TR here but who knows.

Mastro can play this year... I like Mastro and would love to see what he did with an everyday gig. A decent outfielder can be picked up cheap until June or July when Hicks or whoever clears the arb thing.

If the trade brings back an OF'er... The reason for that would allude me.

I think the chance of getting an outfielder in return is nearly zero. Pitching is the obvious thing to pursue, followed by MI help.