Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Shane Victorino to the Red Sox

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Red Sox Signed Shane Victorino to a 3 year 39 million dollar deal.

Obviously CFs are highly valued this year and I honestly think Span is better than Victorino and they only reason the Twins only got Meyers for Span was due to his injuries. If he would have been 100% healthy last year im absolutely positive the Twins could have got much more for him.

#2 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

dont forget who did the trading

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Simply crazy dollars continuing to be spent... Red Sox giving this deal after the Napoli deal. Just wow!

#4 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

Simply crazy dollars continuing to be spent... Red Sox giving this deal after the Napoli deal. Just wow!

But the Red Sox have a crap ton of money after unloading all the contracts. What harm does a 3 year deal do? In the Grand Scheme of things to the Red Sox a 3 year deal is harmless.

#5 rickyriolo

rickyriolo

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

center fielder's definitely have a high value this year......that is why we got a Single A pitcher for Span and nothing more

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

KLAW called it the worst contract in the offseason so far, for a platoon player and 4th OFer....ouch.
Lighten up Francis....

#7 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

center fielder's definitely have a high value this year......that is why we got a Single A pitcher for Span and nothing more

So your saying that BJ Uptons contract and Victorinos dont show how much value CFs have? Not to mention what Josh Hamilton is about to get and what Bourne is going to get.

#8 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

KLAW called it the worst contract in the offseason so far, for a platoon player and 4th OFer....ouch.

He is probably right, not going to argue there.

#9 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Aren't they both 3/39? Those are great deals, in my view, for solid guys. The Red Sox are playing smart this time around by keeping deals under 4 years. Those are not crazy dollars spent.

#10 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

The Victorino contract? Why? The guy is one year removed from an .847 OPS and a near 20/20 season. And Victorino is roughly an average defender, I believe. And lord knows that the Red Sox clubhouse needs a guy like Victorino who is very highly regarded as a good guy and leader.

#11 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Sorry, one year removed from a near 20/20/20 (the third one being triples!).

Also it is interesting how anyone can call a switch hitter a "platoon" player.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

But the Red Sox have a crap ton of money after unloading all the contracts. What harm does a 3 year deal do? In the Grand Scheme of things to the Red Sox a 3 year deal is harmless.

A bad deal is a bad deal, no matter who makes it... Teams like the Red Sox are just able to overcome bad deals more easily than most teams like the Twins.

#13 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

[quote name='Seth Stohs'][quote name='AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS'][quote name='Seth Stohs']Simply crazy dollars continuing to be spent... Red Sox giving this deal after the Napoli deal. Just wow![/QUOTE]

But the Red Sox have a crap ton of money after unloading all the contracts. What harm does a 3 year deal do? In the Grand Scheme of things to the Red Sox a 3 year deal is harmless.[/QUOTE]

A bad deal is a bad deal, no matter who makes it... Teams like the Red Sox are just able to overcome bad deals more easily than most teams like the Twins.[/QUOTE]

Thats what i was saying Seth. I dont know if you you misinterpreted what i meant.

#14 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Aren't they both 3/39? Those are great deals, in my view, for solid guys. The Red Sox are playing smart this time around by keeping deals under 4 years. Those are not crazy dollars spent.

I like the Napoli deal. Victorino was probably overpaid a little bit.

#15 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

I love how the Red Sox are basically bidding against themselves for these players. Napoli has like no defensive value, and rates as an average 1st baseman/DH guy at best.

Victorino? Yikes.

#16 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

I love how the Red Sox are basically bidding against themselves for these players. Napoli has like no defensive value, and rates as an average 1st baseman/DH guy at best.

Victorino? Yikes.

On top of that the Red Sox are interested in trading Ellsbury now that they have Victorino and are also interested in signing Eric Chavez.

#17 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Okay, I know it's not a hugely focused board on all of baseball, so I can see Bourn misspellings, but the newest Twin is Alex Meyer, not Meyers.

This deal is ridiculous as Victorino is a horrible clubhouse guy, is nowhere near a CF anymore, and is on the downside of his career. I was not happy with the BJ Upton numbers, but I could see them being low by the time that deal is done the way money is rolling around.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!