Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

MIN 2, KC 7: Royal Pain

jake odorizzi zack littell ehire adrianza
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 twinbythebay

twinbythebay

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 22 August 2020 - 10:06 AM

O-Doh!-rizzi.... FO nailed it with the one year deal. Had to give him another year after last year but too many alarm bells with previous years and the third time through the line up.

No regrets.... and thank God we are not on the hook for a long term contract.

I'm also glad the Twins aren't on the hook for him beyond this season, but you've gotta feel for the guy. He wasn't able to sign a long term deal last offseason because of the draft pick compensation tied to him, so he took the QO from the Twins, probably thinking he could secure a nice deal next offseason after putting together another solid season this year. Now I'm wondering if he'll be able to get a multi-year deal at all.
  • Dman and D.C Twins like this

#22 twinbythebay

twinbythebay

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 22 August 2020 - 10:24 AM

I noticed a trend very early last year and have zoned in on it ever since: inability to cluster hits together. When is the last time we've had 6 hits in an inning? Minus the occasional HR in the following scenario, with 2+ men on base this team can't hit...at all. It's like the next batter up turns into one of the worst hitters in the league. The Twins were in a rare situation having 6 highly-touted prospects enter the league at roughly the same time yet not one of them has lived up to their potential. My love of the team is more a "like" at this point. I'd pull a Rosas and trade the entire roster (stay Cruz) for gritty, hard working, always improving bunch.

I think this may be confirmation bias in your head. They've hit better this season with runners on, and even better than that with runners in scoring position. Overall, the team is only hitting .239 for the season (18th in MLB), but they're hitting .278 with runners on base (6th in MLB) and .305 with runners in scoring position (2nd in MLB). I will say that they were historically bad last season with the bases loaded for some reason, but they were good or great in every other situation last season. This season, timely hitting has been one of the Twins' only saving graces on offense.
  • Danchat, DocBauer and GNess like this

#23 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,067 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 22 August 2020 - 10:30 AM

With as analytically driven as the front office is, I don't understand not having a RH hitting outfielder in place of Cave for the past 2 seasons.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#24 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,712 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 10:31 AM

Not sure I'd want Lewis in the lineup after he hit .649 OPS in AA last year. He likely wouldn't do much better than Adrianza's .180 / 480 OPS or whatever it is. Lewis needs more development time.

His BA should be able to match Adrianza and this could be a way to give him development time.Another option would be Gordon, but we really hear nothing about him.At least Royce has been given one of the CHS awards for his work this summer. 

#25 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,712 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 10:35 AM

I think this may be confirmation bias in your head. They've hit better this season with runners on, and even better than that with runners in scoring position. Overall, the team is only hitting .239 for the season (18th in MLB), but they're hitting .278 with runners on base (6th in MLB) and .305 with runners in scoring position (2nd in MLB). I will say that they were historically bad last season with the bases loaded for some reason, but they were good or great in every other situation last season. This season, timely hitting has been one of the Twins' only saving graces on offense.

Maybe the problem is getting players into scoring position because they are not there enough to score based on your stats.I do think we are missing Arraez bat and I am tired of the Garver/Cave etc in the top of the lineup.

#26 AKTwins

AKTwins

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 72 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 10:38 AM

I’m thinking it may be time to call Rooker up.  Kepler in CF, Rosario in RF and Rooker in LF.  Rooker could platoon with Cave.

• Danchat, joefish and D.C Twins like this

#27 joefish

joefish

• 229 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:02 AM

Some guys, kepler most notably, retooled their swings last season to better reach the seats with the juiced up baseball. This year I am seeing many lofty fly ball outs.

#28 joefish

joefish

• 229 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:03 AM

Some guys, kepler most notably, retooled their swings last season to better reach the seats with the juiced up baseball. This year I am seeing many lofty fly ball outs.

#29 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,248 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 August 2020 - 01:10 PM

3 K's on the second night for Jeffers (and Wade pinch hit and struck out for him, too). Gushing is fun, and I was one that was wanting him in there, and still do. Especially over Astudillo. But that must have stung and much as the first night brought the joy. Littell I saw coming and was and am hoping for Duran. I don't think Littell will ever have a run like he did at the end of last year. I think that was his shine.

#30 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,227 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 08:21 AM

3 K's on the second night for Jeffers (and Wade pinch hit and struck out for him, too). Gushing is fun, and I was one that was wanting him in there, and still do. Especially over Astudillo. But that must have stung and much as the first night brought the joy. Littell I saw coming and was and am hoping for Duran. I don't think Littell will ever have a run like he did at the end of last year. I think that was his shine.

Based on last year, I believe that Littell can, and will be a very good reliever for the Twins long term. We are now learning of an arm problem that just may have been the reason he hasn't pitched that well this short season.

• ashbury likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, zack littell, ehire adrianza