Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Haren to sign 1 year, $13 million deal with Nats

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Just saw it on MLB network. Now, maybe, pretty please, can people stop freaking about what Scott Feldman means to the market?

Also, the Nationals are going to dominate for years.

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Welp, I guess we can... Cross him off the list.

Fair deal for Haren for one year, make-good contract.

#3 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

When he was available for a trade for almost nothing at 1 year/$12M a month ago, we wondered if 29 teams (including the Twins) would regret not making that deal. Looks like it that was true.

As I wrote this morning, this further drives home that #2 pitchers are going for $12-15M/year this offseason. If Haren is getting that, then I have to think they'll all be getting that.

McCarthy can't go going for much less than $10M annually now, can he?

#4 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

Never an option for the shrinking budget, getting smaller market twinkies.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#5 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Haren would have been nice, but he really doesn't address anything other then the short term pitching problem. If the Twins sign a #2 type guy, I want him to be around in 2014 and 2015 as well.

And I seriously doubt Haren would have taken a 2 or 3 year deal at this point as his best bet is to:
1. Goto a winner to rebuild his value.

#6 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

If I'm Haren, and if the money is all equal, I'd rather sign with the Nats than the Twins.

Still, where was TR on this? This is a deal the Twins absolutely could have afforded.

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Wow, Nats must not be concerned about his health.

#8 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

If I'm Haren, and if the money is all equal, I'd rather sign with the Nats than the Twins.

Still, where was TR on this? This is a deal the Twins absolutely could have afforded.

Even if the twins went 14 million , Haren would have signed with washington, i think.
He has a chance to pitch for the front runners this off season or take 7% more and pitch for maybe the worst team in all of baseball?
Was a smart move if he recovers and pitches to his ability, with next years bump in tv revenue and a chance to be show cased in the post season , haren can cash in on a long term deal next year ....

#9 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Welp, I guess we can... Cross him off the list.

Fair deal for Haren for one year, make-good contract.

I remember when a player would sign for less than 5 million on a make good contract. My how times have changed. Baseball is getting ridiculous with all the money.

#10 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

More like he's their 4th starter with Strasburg, Gio, and Zimmerman with Detwiler rounding out the rotation. He's basically their Edwin Jackson for this season.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#11 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

8 consecutive seasons with 30+ starts. Nationals getting away with theft at this point.

I am not sure how this is a "make-good contract" at all. It looks like he wants the chance to headline the FA pitching class next year.

#12 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Two and three years ago, the Nats couldn't get folks to sign with them even when they offered the most money. That is where the Twins are now.

Edited by h2oface, 05 December 2012 - 12:28 PM.
corrected caps, complying with a warning email

#13 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Twins have got to pony up. or It all over for another two years.

#14 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Haren would have been nice, but he really doesn't address anything other then the short term pitching problem. If the Twins sign a #2 type guy, I want him to be around in 2014 and 2015 as well.

And I seriously doubt Haren would have taken a 2 or 3 year deal at this point as his best bet is to:
1. Goto a winner to rebuild his value.

If haren did pitch to his abilitys and then the twins offered him a qualifing offer we would have at least recieved a sandwich pick,
and had haren for 1 year, but im guessing we would have needed to make him a 15-16 million dollar offer to even get him to step into our suite to talk

#15 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Nationals and Dan Haren have agreed to a one-year, $13 million contract, pending a physical.

The physical isn't a slam dunk given recent concerns about his hip and back, but assuming he passes, he'll join a rotation which includes Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann and Ross Detwiler. It's a pretty good spot for Haren, who gets to pitch in the easier league and wouldn't be expected to be the carry the load for the rotation. The signing figures to take away one potential suitor for free agent right-hander Zack Greinke.

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Greinke will go to the Dodgers for something ridiculous.
Sanchez will go to the Tigers for something ridiculous.
Josh Hamilton will go to the Mariners for something ridiculous.

I wish these two things would happen soon to clear away some of the mess.

#17 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Makin the prediction on first pitcher acquired will be a trade for Ricky Nolasco. We will include a semi solid prospect like Salcedo and/or Benson types & instead of Miami including cash....Mn will instead send Nick Blackburn to South Beach

#18 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

More like he's their 4th starter with Strasburg, Gio, and Zimmerman with Detwiler rounding out the rotation. He's basically their Edwin Jackson for this season.

If Dan Haren is to the Nats what Edwin Jackson has been to the Rays, then I would expect the Nats rotation to be pretty dominant.
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

[quote name='luke829'][quote name='biggentleben'][quote name='gunnarthor']Wow, Nats must not be concerned about his health.[/QUOTE]

More like he's their 4th starter with Strasburg, Gio, and Zimmerman with Detwiler rounding out the rotation. He's basically their Edwin Jackson for this season.[/QUOTE]

If Dan Haren is to the Nats what Edwin Jackson has been to the Rays, then I would expect the Nats rotation to be pretty dominant.[/QUOTE]

Say what? Edwin Jackson was with the Nats last year. He was their one-year signing last year that went out and earned himself a likely multi year deal.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#20 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

That team is going to win 100 games next year. Damn. I wish I was living in D.C. and cheering for that team right now. They already had the best record in baseball and they make a deal to get a solid CF/leadoff guy and top of the rotation veteran. The division race is officially over.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#21 chagen

chagen

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Do the Twins know free agency started? They are allowed to get better but it will cost money.

#22 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

[quote name='biggentleben'][quote name='luke829'][quote name='biggentleben'][quote name='gunnarthor']Wow, Nats must not be concerned about his health.[/QUOTE]

More like he's their 4th starter with Strasburg, Gio, and Zimmerman with Detwiler rounding out the rotation. He's basically their Edwin Jackson for this season.[/QUOTE]

If Dan Haren is to the Nats what Edwin Jackson has been to the Rays, then I would expect the Nats rotation to be pretty dominant.[/QUOTE]

Say what? Edwin Jackson was with the Nats last year. He was their one-year signing last year that went out and earned himself a likely multi year deal.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, had the typical brain fart typical of a long, hard day at work.
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#23 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

I wonder how long of a contract he was looking for. i think I still would have gone 3 yrs but I'm wondering if he thinks he is going to be able to next season into a ridiculous 4-5 yr deal at 15+M/yr.

I believe that I'm also on record as being disappointed that the Twins didn't get involved when the angels were trading him.