Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Wolfson: (On a hunch) Plouffe's competition is Hannahan

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

1500ESPN.com's Darren Wolfson tweets that the Twins are close to adding a third baseman for competition with Trevor Plouffe and his hunch is that it is St. Paul's Jack Hannahan.

Hannahan had played the past two years with Cleveland, providing them with a decisively average left-handed platoon option at third (.692 OPS vs RHP) but some above-average glovework (4.2 UZR/150). He has occasional pop but his high strikeout rate (22% career K%) keeps his on-base percentage on the low-end (.319 career OBP). Oh, and Hannahan hit an opposite-field home run off me at Cretin that damn near cleared The Nook across the street.**

If this is deal is similar to the Sean Burroughs deal of last year -- a minor league one with a spring training invite -- it is not a bad proposition. Otherwise, the upside to Hannahan simply is not there.

**Full-admission: I allowed multiple home runs that game. It was so bad, that after the game my Dad, who was going to give me a lift back to my car at my school, was walking along the fence to exit the Cretin complex turned to me and said "Well, my car is across the street and I don't see a gate. Say, why don't you pitch yourself to me and I'll hit you over there?" Good times.