Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Minor League camp

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 IowaHawkeyes

IowaHawkeyes

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

Does anyone have a update on how the minor league camp is going?

#2 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

They just opened minor camp a few days ago and don't start playing games until later this coming week. Hopefully, we'll start seeing more reports out of that side of the complex in a few days.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,483 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Looks like the local media is at least spending a little time there each morning. So, we're hearing a few things from down there. But basically, they're spending about 4-6 hours a day in stations, taking a ton of infield, working through a lot of situations, taking a bunch of BP, lifting weights, running. Nothing fancy... but there are a lot of players there and they're all getting their time.

#4 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Apparently, the Twins are using the old Red Sox practice fields for some of their minor leaguers. While they obviously needed more room and it's understandable that they'd take advantage of that facility being available now, it does mean it will be less likely that fans will have a chance to watch all the minor leaguers go through workouts down there. I'm assuming it's the youngest of the minor leaguers that are shipped across town.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

#5 IowaHawkeyes

IowaHawkeyes

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

Ok thanks guys for the info and I was wondering when they begin games so they start next week for games.

#6 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

I think I read they start games on Thursday, but I don't remember where I saw it and I've been drinking heavily lately so I may have imagined it :)
[/COLOR]

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,483 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Games will generally be Rochester vs New Britain and Ft. Myers vs Beloit this week, but I know that they'll have the upper level teams playing against the Red Sox or other close teams just to be a little different.

#8 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Anyone have any rosters?
Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932

#9 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

I've never seen the Twins release any minor league rosters until right before they break camp. Until then, they're broken down rather loosely in to groups based on where they may project players to start the season, but they're competing for spots in Spring Training, too. If you're down there, it's possible to figure out who's slotted to go where every morning just by noting which groups they're taking BP or fielding practice with or who which pitchers are getting their throwing in at the same time (and which coaches they're working with). They spend March kind of shifting guys up and down (and, unfortunately, occasionally releasing players) and then figure out where they want them to start the season.
[/COLOR]

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,483 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

That's right, JC... the players are generally working as part of the roster of a team a level or two higher than where they'll be. As players get cut from big league camp, guys move down a roster as appropriate. So, a guy who is on the Rochester roster in workouts today likely will go to New Britain or even Ft. Myers for Opening Day.

#11 IowaHawkeyes

IowaHawkeyes

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Ok thanks will we hear anything about who is doing good in the games?

#12 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,298 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Ok thanks will we hear anything about who is doing good in the games?

not many chances, unless someone is there and talks about it... All the beat reporters are in the big camp. You might hear some quotes from coaches and stuff, but not first hand information
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#13 IowaHawkeyes

IowaHawkeyes

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

I always look forward to minor league season