Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Potential Rule 5 Selections for the Twins

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Can anyone think of some potential selections for the Twins in this week's Draft? I'd like to see them select Danny Rosenbaum from the Nats. He's a lefty with 4 pitches. His fastball tops out at 92, plus a curve, slider and changeup. 25 years old after 2 years in AA, but could be an addition to the staff. The Nats also have 2B Jeff Kobernus available. He hit .282 without much power but stole 42 bases. Both are listed in the Nats top 20 prospects, but were not added to the 40-man. I'd wouldn't mind the Twins selecting a couple in the draft to get a look at them in ST. And obviously pitching and MI are the places to look.

Are there other prospects the Twins should consider?

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Where's a good list of rule-5-eligible players?

#3 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

I wish I knew

#4 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,299 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Here?

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

Can anyone think of some potential selections for the Twins in this week's Draft? I'd like to see them select Danny Rosenbaum from the Nats. He's a lefty with 4 pitches. His fastball tops out at 92, plus a curve, slider and changeup. 25 years old after 2 years in AA, but could be an addition to the staff. The Nats also have 2B Jeff Kobernus available. He hit .282 without much power but stole 42 bases. Both are listed in the Nats top 20 prospects, but were not added to the 40-man. I'd wouldn't mind the Twins selecting a couple in the draft to get a look at them in ST. And obviously pitching and MI are the places to look.

Are there other prospects the Twins should consider?

Looking at Rosenbaum's numbers and left-handedness, what's not to like? Another "Diamond" in the rough who looks to be a better starting pitching option, now, than most of the guys who had tryouts on the Twins wretched staff in 2012. I didn't look around the web, but is there something else holding him back???, you said 2 years in AA, but he only appeared in 6 AA games in 2011. I hope he is on the Twins radar.

I like that 2B man -with the proviso, "if"- he can field his position. Who it is that signs them always says something positive as the Nats have drafted well.

But the Twins need pitching. If you want someone with the best chance to stick, 3 relievers:

Ryan Pressly RHP reliever, starter previously with mid-90s speed or Josh Fields RHP age 27 K/9 =12.5!! (has reached AAA, originally a Mariners signee)

Jon Keck 6'6" LHRP Mid-90s speed with multiple pitches. KC pitcher, so big ?s

The high upside guys:

Braulio Lara The Rays found him and we all know their scouting pedigree. Lefty SP who throws 98 on the gun. Doesn't turn 24 until the end of the month. If he develops a 2nd "out" pitch, could be huge.

Juan Sosa. RHP A little younger (just turned 23 last month) with highly regarded mid-90s stuff waiting to put it together. Has been used primarily in relief. Phillies signee.

I'd say take Rosenbaum, Josh Fields or one of the flyers, Sosa or Lara- as it sure would be nice to find another Santana or Liriano languishing in relative obscurity.

Edited by jokin, 04 December 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#6 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

Here's a couple of more articles with fairly extensive lists of possible draftees:

http://www.draysbay....12-rule-5-draft

http://rumbunter.com...possible-picks/

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...12/#list=rule5'>http:// http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/#list=rule5

This is a good list.

#8 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...12/#list=rule5'>http:// http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/#list=rule5

This is a good list.

That link doesn't work.

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...012/#list=rule5

#9 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Pat Venditte! Just do it Twins. I want to see some switch-pitching action.

It would make a long year a little more entertaining, at least.

#10 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Pat Venditte! Just do it Twins. I want to see some switch-pitching action.

It would make a long year a little more entertaining, at least.

Venditte would be fun

#11 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Never hear of him before, but now I totally want him over here. Get someone to teach him a knuckleball too and he'll be unstoppable

#12 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Never hear of him before, but now I totally want him over here. Get someone to teach him a knuckleball too and he'll be unstoppable

Ha, that would be Epic.

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Maybe the Rays Lara? Lefty w/high 90s fastball.

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Maybe the Rays Lara? Lefty w/high 90s fastball.

See above. The Twins should strongly consider him if available.

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

The Twins should pick Anthony Slama. He gets a lot of strikeouts.

Another way of saying, I'm not too enthused about getting someone else's AAA/AA reliever, a few of whom seem available every offseason anyway. The best-case on a pick like that would be someone with only little impact as a player or trade value later on, unless he's really a candidate for closer.

What appeals to me is a 23 year-old high-upside starter (yet who has the makeup to not suffer overly in a bullpen for a year), from a successful organization lacking room for him; Braulio Lara of the Rays for instance, as others have said, or maybe Tim Crabbe of the Reds.

I didn't notice any non-OF position players fitting this profile.

Rule-5 depends on scouting and I am no scout, so going by stats (and some analyst's verbiage) is really limited. I will likely be satisfied by whomever the brain trust selects. And I do expect they will pick one; 10% they even pick two.

Edited by ashburyjohn, 04 December 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#16 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Not sure.....believe you can take more than 1 Rule V player correct?
If they can, I believe they will

#17 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Here's a link to an article about a few http://www.fangraphs...ible-prospects'>Rule 5 eligible prospects.

Odubel Herrera sounds interesting.

#18 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Johan Santana
Scott Diamond

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Johan Santana
Scott Diamond

You left out Roberto Clemente

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

this is a great place to grab a guy that has 1 decent offspead pitch that you can stash in the pen for a year and send back down. I'd think a hard throwing pitcher or two could be added and used to potentially augment the pen a bit... A rebuilding team should be all over this.

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

You can take as many as you want.

#22 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

You can take as many as you want.

Minor correction - you can continue to pick, round by round, until your 40-man roster is full.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

[quote name='ScottyB'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='greengoblinrulz']Not sure.....believe you can take more than 1 Rule V player correct?
If they can, I believe they will[/QUOTE]

You can take as many as you want.[/QUOTE]

Minor correction - you can continue to pick, round by round, until your 40-man roster is full.[/QUOTE]

Heh. Well, yeah. You have to keep a Rule 5 on the 40 man so you can't draft more than your 40 man will hold.

#24 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

for those who keep throwing out Diamond and Santana dont forget Shane Mack OF was also a rule 5 pick for the team.

#25 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

[quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='ScottyB'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='greengoblinrulz']Not sure.....believe you can take more than 1 Rule V player correct?
If they can, I believe they will[/QUOTE]

You can take as many as you want.[/QUOTE]

Minor correction - you can continue to pick, round by round, until your 40-man roster is full.[/QUOTE]

Heh. Well, yeah. You have to keep a Rule 5 on the 40 man so you can't draft more than your 40 man will hold.[/QUOTE]

You have to keep them on the 25 man unless you want to offer them back to the original team.

It's pretty pointless to pick more then 1 in the major league portion.

#26 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

for those who keep throwing out Diamond and Santana dont forget Shane Mack OF was also a rule 5 pick for the team.

One of my all time favorite Twins. And one of the most underrated players in franchise history.

#27 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,162 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Don't forget they changed the rules a few years ago, and it is less interesting now....I would go for a pitcher with one good pitch, put them in the pen, use them situationally so they look awesome, and then trade them.

#28 boney

boney

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

If the team picks up the Lara kid from Tampa, Cuellar would have a full year to work with him on a changeup :).

#29 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

If the team picks up the Lara kid from Tampa, Cuellar would have a full year to work with him on a changeup :).

I like your thinking. Stick him in the Pen for a year, teach him a change up. Cant be any worse than some of the guys we had at the start of the year last year in the bullpen.

#30 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'd think a hard throwing pitcher or two could be added and used to potentially augment the pen a bit... A rebuilding team should be all over this.

This is exactly the spirit in which rule-5 was devised: to let the Have-Nots get a few of the crumbs the Haves let slip off their plate ... and it is galling that it's *my* team that is going to be the beneficiary.