Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

The new, patient, Eddie Rosario

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,510 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 11:07 AM

Since the beginning of the 2017 season, Eddie has out homered Sano 89 to 79. It seemed like a fluke in 2011 when Eddie hit one more home run than Miguel, (21/20), but he did it again in 2014 and 2018, and came real close in 2017 and 2019.

They certainly take VERY different approaches to hitting: swing and miss vs contact, selective versus free-swinging, hard-hit versus less hard-hit (Rosie rarely can hit the ball over 100mph), but at the end of the day, the power production is similar.

So much the better if Eddie starts being more selective.

And how many at bats did each have in those seasons? It's a little misleading to say Rosie 'out homered' Sano without taking that into consideration.

• Cap'n Piranha likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#22 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,808 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 03:10 PM

And how many at bats did each have in those seasons? It's a little misleading to say Rosie 'out homered' Sano without taking that into consideration.

True, I did not include that information. However, isn’t getting at bats a part of the equation?

#23 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,510 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 03:21 PM

True, I did not include that information. However, isn’t getting at bats a part of the equation?

Well, yes it is, but part of the equation you didn’t include. How many at bats did each player have in those given seasons?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#24 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 749 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 16 August 2020 - 03:44 PM

An interesting tidbit. We all know that walks aren't entirely indicative of plate discipline, but Rosario's new approach is startling when you extrapolate numbers...

Over the past three seasons, Rosario has averaged:

581 PAs, 29 BB per season.

He currently has 67 PAs, 8 BB.

Extrapolate those numbers to his three season average and it's:

581 PAs, 69 BB.

If Eddie is able to maintain that rate, there's a good chance he becomes a well above average corner outfielder and could see a nice payday as a result.

As well he should....anybody that has watched this season at all would have to agree

#25 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 749 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 16 August 2020 - 03:51 PM

If Eddie can be more selective, I’d be all for extending him. He would be, right now, what Kirilloff/Larnach have a chance at being in the future.
We could be talking about a 30 HR, 100 RBI, .875+ OPS guy. For reference, Max Kepler (who is widely considered a cornerstone type player) had an OPS of .855 last year.
With Cruz not guaranteed to return, Donaldson’s injury issues, Garver back on earth, Polanco not hitting for power, etc., Rosario may all of the sudden be our best hitter next year.

and this is exactly what some of us have been saying all along. He is a real Twin and has been the glue that held it all together when the going got tough. Pay him and let him stay. He makes no secret of the fact he doesn't wanna ever leave.
  • LA VIkes Fan likes this

#26 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,510 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 04:06 PM

and this is exactly what some of us have been saying all along. He is a real Twin and has been the glue that held it all together when the going got tough. Pay him and let him stay. He makes no secret of the fact he doesn't wanna ever leave.

I love Eddie as much as the next person ... but where has he stated he wants to stay forever? 

#27 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 749 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 16 August 2020 - 04:27 PM

I love Eddie as much as the next person ... but where has he stated he wants to stay forever?

okay here we go Without taking the time to peruse every single YouTube video I ever watched, I am sure it was there that i saw an interview about Rosario, his career, and the love and connection he feels both to his teammates and the community in general. To be clear he did not say he wanted to stay forever, he said he didn't want to ever leave. And that is all I have to say about it If you interested, I think it is right around the area where they show his first at bat in the majors- a Home Run. That is a surprise isn't it?

#28 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,808 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 02:49 PM

Well, yes it is, but part of the equation you didn’t include. How many at bats did each player have in those given seasons?

Since 2017, Eddie has had 1737 at bats, and 89 homers, one every 19.5 at bats. Miguel has had 1127 at bats, and 79 homers, one every 14.2 at bats. (Bonus: Eddie has 95 doubles and 5 triples in that span, compared to Miguel’s 50 doubles and 4 triples since 2017.)

My point about getting the at bats being significant is that Eddie has succeeded at getting waaay more at bats, which is certainly...something.

I don’t know if I had any further point, though.

#29 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,084 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 03:06 PM

Back I don't remember how many years, Eddie and Sano were locked in a head-to-head battle for the home run title in the Appy League. Don't recall was hitting third and who was fourth, but remember that they hit one after another in the order for much of the year. Remember it came down to the last game or so of the season with Eddie winning the title with I believe 21, while Sano had 20. Expect Seth may have the details of that battle at his fingertips.

Yes, isn't the big leagues. But was one exciting summer for the two of them.

#30 Channing1964

Channing1964

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 749 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 27 August 2020 - 04:17 AM

it's kind of funny we argue about who is the better of our likely 2020 All Star caliber players.

#31 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 26,940 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 27 August 2020 - 03:19 PM

Anybody witness the new, patient Rosie fan on three consecutive pitches at eyebrow level last night?
  • blindeke likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#32 a-wan

a-wan

• 233 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:07 PM

Anybody witness the new, patient Rosie fan on three consecutive pitches at eyebrow level last night?

Or his 6 pitches seen during game one’s three At-bats.

• blindeke likes this

#33 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

not so negative

• 9,978 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

Being a patient i think usually means one is being treated. Not sure it means they're cured yet.

I too will try to be a little patient myself.

#34 blindeke

blindeke

• 622 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 04:31 PM

Yeah but can he hit?