Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Acquire Ildemaro Vargas

ildemaro vargas willians astudillo
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,875 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:04 PM

Do the Twins make this move if they think Donaldson will be back in any reasonable time frame?

Interesting question! Considering the Twins supposedly "liked him for a while" and costs only $ and not even a single prospect, I suspect they make the move anyway.

No offense to anyone, but I think it's safe to say he is a notch above a couple of the AAAA guys they have for depth over in St Paul.
  • Danchat, dbminn and Minny505 like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,611 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:02 AM

When has Willians Astudillo ever been in great shape? :)
  • Minny505 and snap4birds like this

#23 Minny505

Minny505

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 95 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, this seems to be a depth move. I like it. They need to add another position player to the roster and he is probably their best option. 

Right now, the team does not have enough position players on their active roster to fulfill the new 26-man requirement, which is 13. Obviously that requirement has been waived for 2020, but I still think it is in the best interest of the Twins to have 13. This move gets them there.

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,700 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:24 PM

This probably doesn’t bode well for Nick Gordon, who just got cut in line for potential MLB playing time.
  • ashbury likes this

#25 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 126 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:34 PM

Not much excitement here. They may want to try moving Sano to third and Marwin at first and see what happens- either for a few games or until Donaldson comes back. Or maybe they are looking to trade someone (Adrianza?) for a pitcher- though he won't get much. Who knows.

#26 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,733 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:54 PM

This probably doesn’t bode well for Nick Gordon, who just got cut in line for potential MLB playing time.

I think he’s gotten used to that by now...

#27 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,875 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:26 PM

I hope that isn't the case for his sake. But the Twins had an opportunity for a depth move and I honestly don't recall if Gordon has even been cleared to head to St. Paul yet. Even then, it will take him time to ramp up and even be an option.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#28 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,900 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:57 PM

I could be wrong, but I interpret this as a clear sign that Donaldson isn’t coming back anytime soon.

#29 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,027 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

I could be wrong, but I interpret this as a clear sign that Donaldson isn’t coming back anytime soon.

Yes, it could be seen that way. Making Gonzalez into the regular third baseman isn't a disaster, but it takes away much of Marwin's value. Having Vargas as a third do-everything utility man doesn't make sense unless someone is injured for the long term, especially since he can't be sent to St. Paul without being DFAed and he's not a young guy either.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ildemaro vargas, willians astudillo