Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Why We Can't Have Nice Things

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 shortround81

shortround81

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:14 PM

First Zach Plesac gets Ubered back to Cleveland for going out with friends. Now this in Oakland. You're embarrassing us, MLB.

https://sports.yahoo...-213617303.html

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." -Pete Rose

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,787 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:57 PM

I don’t understand the anger towards the A’s coach. Looking at the video it’s obviously unintentional.
  • notoriousgod71, Hosken Bombo Disco, Minny505 and 1 other like this

#3 shortround81

shortround81

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:21 PM

In 2020 how does an adult with a basic high school education NOT know what that was. Even after Hendricks tried to pull his arm down, he did it again.

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,787 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:48 PM

Not the first or last time different people see a video and come up with different conclusions....

Breaking: Gyms all over the US becoming Nazi Centric using 10 lb weights to mask their Nazi Salutes
  • Minny505 likes this

#5 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,512 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:08 PM

Not the first or last time different people see a video and come up with different conclusions....

Breaking: Gyms all over the US becoming Nazi Centric using 10 lb weights to mask their Nazi Salutes

That's a really bad comparison and you know it.

While I'm not sure he meant it, momentarily 'forgot', or whatever ... I'd like to get to a point where something is so ingrained it's not something you 'forget', but maybe that's impossible. I don't know. But, I think it is a big deal. I'm not saying the guy should be tarred and feathered, but I also hope that he really learned something from his momentary thoughtlessness and understands that and never does it again. The minute we start levying excuses such as 'Oh, he didn't mean it' doesn't really ingrain the idea of 'don't ever do it again' and just why it isn't good to momentarily forget such things.

• shortround81 likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#6 Minny505

Minny505

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 95 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:16 PM

This is a complaint looking for a problem. Very McCarthyist. Let's not.

• Cap'n Piranha and notoriousgod71 like this

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,787 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:19 PM

That's a really bad comparison and you know it.

While I'm not sure he meant it, momentarily 'forgot', or whatever ... I'd like to get to a point where something is so ingrained it's not something you 'forget', but maybe that's impossible. I don't know. But, I think it is a big deal. I'm not saying the guy should be tarred and feathered, but I also hope that he really learned something from his momentary thoughtlessness and understands that and never does it again. The minute we start levying excuses such as 'Oh, he didn't mean it' doesn't really ingrain the idea of 'don't ever do it again' and just why it isn't good to momentarily forget such things.

I'm sure he's learned a valuable lesson not to raise his arm without bending his elbow going forward. 

#8 shortround81

shortround81

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:44 PM

I'm sure he's learned a valuable lesson not to raise his arm without bending his elbow going forward. 

I'm proud of you for using sarcasm to minimize a hurtful and racist gesture. 

• Shaitan likes this

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,787 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:45 PM

Thanks!

#10 twinbythebay

twinbythebay

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:06 PM

I really don't think this needs to be a big deal, and I really hope it doesn't become one. Does anyone actually think that he's secretly a Nazi or that he meant to throw up a racist gesture? I think it's good that they acknowledged it and clarified that it wasn't done on purpose, and I would hope that he can manage to not do it again in the future. No punishment necessary, from where I sit.

Now, Plesac on the other hand...:mad:

#11 shortround81

shortround81

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:10 PM

I really don't think this needs to be a big deal, and I really hope it doesn't become one. Does anyone actually think that he's secretly a Nazi or that he meant to throw up a racist gesture? I think it's good that they acknowledged it and clarified that it wasn't done on purpose, and I would hope that he can manage to not do it again in the future. No punishment necessary, from where I sit.

One doesn't have to be a Nazi to use that gesture. Whether he meant to be racist or not he should've known that wasn't okay. Know better. Do better. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#12 twinbythebay

twinbythebay

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:16 PM

One doesn't have to be a Nazi to use that gesture. Whether he meant to be racist or not he should've known that wasn't okay. Know better. Do better. 

Agreed. But again, by acknowledging and apologizing, I do think they've handled it the right way so far. Do you think additional punishment would actually do anybody any good?

#13 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,512 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:19 PM

I think 'big deal' has different connotations. As I said, I don't think he needs to be tarred and feathered or made an example of, so, no, not a big deal in those terms. However, I think it is a big deal in terms of ... I hope he's learned a lesson about thoughtless, racist gestures and not to do it again. That's it for me. These things shouldn't be a 'go to' or 'common place' for anyone, and it doesn't sound like it is for him, at all ... but it's time we get past the 'Oh, he didn't mean it that way' as an excuse to let it go by. I mean, perhaps most of us have done the Nazi 'heil' at some point in our lives, jokingly ... and maybe it's time we learn, that some things just shouldn't be made a joke, because of what they truly represent. 

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#14 shortround81

shortround81

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:28 PM

[...] but it's time we get past the 'Oh, he didn't mean it that way' as an excuse to let it go by. 

Exactly. I'm glad he apologized. Although, I do feel like the "I thought I was doing a karate chop" excuse seemed like a weak explanation. Do I think punishment would do any good? Yes. It'll show MLB will not let something like this go by. Does he need to be banned for the season? No. But, maybe a game suspension and sensitivity training (which I know is probably corporate BS that people don't get a lot out of) would send a message across the league racism; unintentional or not, will not be tolerated.  

• mikelink45 and bighat like this

#15 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,740 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:20 PM

My opinion is that it was neither accidental or malicious.

I don't think he's a secret Nazi, but I also don't think he was clueless as to what he was doing. I'm in the same general age group as him, and I think it's pretty universally known that that's one of those things you just don't do.

If I had to venture a guess, he thought he was making a joke and being funny with his buddies and got caught by the cameras. 

Definitely shouldn't make it less offensive to the Jewish community and he should absolutely be "shamed" - to an acceptable level.

#16 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,774 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:56 PM

I don’t understand the anger towards the A’s coach. Looking at the video it’s obviously unintentional.

Agreed. Clearly just a brain fart by the A's coach.

He should have apologized and did. Read the comments from the players and coaches who know this guy.

Anyone who has hailed a cab has maybe unintentionally, once in their lives, accidentally realized that they were making this pose and then quickly altered their body language and hoped nobody saw them. I think this was one of those things.

• Taildragger8791 and PDX Twin like this

#17 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,512 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:22 AM

In this time of so much anger and the Nazis showing up all over the country it is not excusable and I am glad he was punished.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, jud6312 and 2 others like this

#18 shortround81

shortround81

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 58 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:25 AM

In this time of so much anger and the Nazis showing up all over the country it is not excusable and I am glad he was punished.

Yep. Not that it would've been okay in previous years, but this year especially people need to be more cognizant of how "harmless jokes" are actually very harmful to those who have been in positions of being oppressed. 

• SQUIRREL, mikelink45 and bighat like this

#19 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,865 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:30 AM

I have no idea if it occurred to him what that gesture looked like, but it was already a foregone conclusion that a 46-year-old was going to screw up the new secret handshake all the young guys were doing.

• ashbury, Taildragger8791, bighat and 1 other like this

#20 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,578 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:36 AM

That gesture is used ritually at church services now. Didn’t used to be.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges