Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Future Roster Transactions

injured list 28-man roster taxi squad starting pitching depth
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 04:40 PM

I saw Smeltzer mentioned earlier and I don't think they'd send him down since that would burn an option and why do that at this point?

Wouldn’t burn an option until he spent 20 days on optional assignment — so we could send him out and call him back after 10 days if we wanted.

#42 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 305 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:28 PM

Wouldn’t burn an option until he spent 20 days on optional assignment — so we could send him out and call him back after 10 days if we wanted.

Yes but if you send him down and don't need him later you burn the year.

#43 twins_89

twins_89

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 546 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:16 PM

I saw Smeltzer mentioned earlier and I don't think they'd send him down since that would burn an option and why do that at this point?

I don't think Smeltzer is a guy where options are a significant concern. At this point he's on the fringes of the majors and is going to need to improve to stay in the league.

• Battle ur tail off likes this

#44 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,939 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:19 PM

I don't think Smeltzer is a guy where options are a significant concern. At this point he's on the fringes of the majors and is going to need to improve to stay in the league.

Agreed. He turns 25 next week and still has 2 options. If both get used and the team finds itself with a roster dilemma even after that, he can't have met expectations.

• Battle ur tail off likes this

A mistake made more than once starts to look like a decision.

#45 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,069 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:55 PM

With the possibly disabling injuries of both Arraez and Kepler, I'm wondering if DFAs can be stopped/rescinded. I have said earlier, I think the Twins would like to keep Vargas and use him as a utility player next season. If either player is placed on the Injured List can the Twins bring back Vargas?

#46 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,739 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:05 PM

With the possibly disabling injuries of both Arraez and Kepler, I'm wondering if DFAs can be stopped/rescinded. I have said earlier, I think the Twins would like to keep Vargas and use him as a utility player next season. If either player is placed on the Injured List can the Twins bring back Vargas?

I haven't heard of a team rescinding a DFA before, so I don't think so... I think the Twins should call up Blankenhorn to play some 2B instead.

#47 twins_89

twins_89

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 546 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:09 PM

I can't see how the DFA could be reversed. Donaldson already took Vargas's active roster spot, so I would assume the transaction is final.

• spycake likes this

#48 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:20 AM

Here is the rule as I understand it:

“ 6. A player can be Designated for Assignment and then subsequently returned to the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) and optioned to the minors as long as the player is not replaced on the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) by another player after the player is Designated for Assignment.”

https://www.thecubre...xport/html/3535

In this case, you might be right — while Donaldson took Vargas’ active roster spot (meaning, his 25-man / 28-man roster spot), nobody took his Reserve List (40-man) spot yet. (At least they Twins roster page has 41 names on it, and two of those — Bailey and Gordon — presumably don’t count right now.)

Not sure though — seems like a loophole that could be easily exploited/abused, to just keep DFA’ing an out of options player with the expectation that another player could go on the IL within a week and you could keep the DFA’d player. (Especially with the 28-man roster and 10-day IL, it would be fairly easily to pick pitchers at the back of your staff to rotate through phantom IL stints, as necessary.)

But maybe we can get away with it once?

Edit: I lack reading comprehension, apparently! The above-quoted rule only applies if the player has minor league options remaining — Vargas obviously doesn’t. So there is no way to restore a DFA’d, out of options player to the roster (at least not without going through waivers and then re-selecting his contract).

#49 twins_89

twins_89

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 546 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

Here is the rule as I understand it:

“ 6. A player can be Designated for Assignment and then subsequently returned to the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) and optioned to the minors as long as the player is not replaced on the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) by another player after the player is Designated for Assignment.”

https://www.thecubre...xport/html/3535

In this case, you might be right — while Donaldson took Vargas’ active roster spot (meaning, his 25-man / 28-man roster spot), nobody took his Reserve List (40-man) spot yet. (At least they Twins roster page has 41 names on it, and two of those — Bailey and Gordon — presumably don’t count right now.)

Not sure though — seems like a loophole that could be easily exploited/abused, to just keep DFA’ing an out of options player with the expectation that another player could go on the IL within a week and you could keep the DFA’d player. (Especially with the 28-man roster and 10-day IL, it would be fairly easily to pick pitchers at the back of your staff to rotate through phantom IL stints, as necessary.)

But maybe we can get away with it once?

Vargas is out of options, so there was no place for him to go once he was taken off the active roster.

#50 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:54 AM

Vargas is out of options, so there was no place for him to go once he was taken off the active roster.

That’s what DFA is — “roster limbo”. Vargas doesn’t have to “be” anywhere during this time, and he continues getting MLB service time until the DFA is resolved.

#51 twins_89

twins_89

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 546 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:11 AM

That’s what DFA is — “roster limbo”. Vargas doesn’t have to “be” anywhere during this time, and he continues getting MLB service time until the DFA is resolved.

Does resolving the DFA require Vargas to be traded or go through waivers? I can't imagine MLB would leave open a loophole that would allow a player to be DFAd and then re-added back to the active roster (that would seem to let teams effectively expand rosters and hold onto out of option players by temporarily parking them in DFA limbo).

• Danchat and BeatTheRich like this

#52 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,774 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:37 AM

Assuming for just a second that Kepler is going on the DL

If the Twins thought that it would be 10 days, who would you replace him with

If the Twins thought it was for the rest of the regular season, who would you replace him with?

Are they different answers? Should they be?

For me, if Kepler goes on the DL, it's time for Larnach to be called up.

#53 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 06:30 AM

Does resolving the DFA require Vargas to be traded or go through waivers? I can't imagine MLB would leave open a loophole that would allow a player to be DFAd and then re-added back to the active roster (that would seem to let teams effectively expand rosters and hold onto out of option players by temporarily parking them in DFA limbo).

You are right — the loophole does not exist as I had stated above. Here is the full clause again for restoring a DFA’d player:

“And optioned to the minors” is the clause that Vargas fails to satisfy, as he is out of options like you said. So even though Vargas hasn’t been replaced on the 40-man yet, he can’t be restored to the Twins roster at this point either.

#54 big dog

big dog

• 3,135 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 06:48 AM

That's ok, I'm ready to explore options other than Vargas anyway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: injured list, 28-man roster, taxi squad, starting pitching depth