Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Future Roster Transactions

injured list 28-man roster taxi squad starting pitching depth
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,084 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:54 AM

Buxton and Pineda to be activated today, with Donaldson coming on board tomorrow, according to MLB Trade Rumors. Who goes? I would guess that LaMonte Wade Jr. is certain to head back to St. Paul with Buxton being activated. As far as making room for Pineda, Minaya or Poppen would make sense. Perhaps "sending down" Poppen for a day, since an extra player will be required for the doubleheader on Thursday. Vargas would figure to be on thin ice for a DFA tomorrow.

Its not only who is sent to St. Paul. When Pineda is activated, someone is going to have to come off the 40-man roster also, unless there are some other injuries/illnesses that could be moved off the 40-man.

If they do DFA someone, not even going to try to guess who?

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,939 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:09 AM

Its not only who is sent to St. Paul. When Pineda is activated, someone is going to have to come off the 40-man roster also, unless there are some other injuries/illnesses that could be moved off the 40-man.

If they do DFA someone, not even going to try to guess who?

Looking at the MLB site, I see 42 players listed on the 40-man roster, even before Pineda. The Yankees have that number too. Is 42 the new limit?

A mistake made more than once starts to look like a decision.

#23 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:26 AM

Looking at the MLB site, I see 42 players listed on the 40-man roster, even before Pineda. The Yankees have that number too. Is 42 the new limit?

That list doesn’t reflect IL status. Bailey is on the 45-day IL so he doesn’t count against the 40, and I suspect Gordon is on the COVID list so he likewise doesn’t count either.

Interestingly, they don’t list restricted list guys Pineda and Romero anywhere either.

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 26,940 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:46 AM

How the **** is Donaldson ok for tomorrow, but not tonight? Against a leftie?

Makes no sense. None. Either he's ready to go, or he's not. 24 hours is meaningless, its been weeks.
  • jun, DocBauer, labcrazy and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#25 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:35 PM

How the **** is Donaldson ok for tomorrow, but not tonight? Against a leftie?

Makes no sense. None. Either he's ready to go, or he's not. 24 hours is meaningless, its been weeks.

I'm guessing he's scheduled to go full-speed today in a full simulated game, or some other test that he hasn't yet achieved in rehab, and if all goes well with that, they will activate him tomorrow. That way, if there are any issues today, they can work on it and still activate him later in the week if possible.

If they activated him today, and he had any issues, then he'd be taking up a roster spot while being unavailable the next few days, or they'd have to restart his IL clock again and he couldn't return for another 10 days.

• DocBauer and IndianaTwin like this

#26 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,072 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:55 PM

I'm guessing he's scheduled to go full-speed today in a full simulated game, or some other test that he hasn't yet achieved in rehab, and if all goes well with that, they will activate him tomorrow. That way, if there are any issues today, they can work on it and still activate him later in the week if possible.

If they activated him today, and he had any issues, then he'd be taking up a roster spot while being unavailable the next few days, or they'd have to restart his IL clock again and he couldn't return for another 10 days.

Or that the original plan was Friday and they felt like they could push him up a couple days, but not as far as three. 

• spycake likes this

#27 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 305 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:16 PM

I would say Minaya goes for Pineda, since they also have to make a spot on the 40 man for Pineda.

#28 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:23 PM

Or that the original plan was Friday and they felt like they could push him up a couple days, but not as far as three. 

Good point. Or the original plan was yesterday, but they already had a minor setback.

#29 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 26,940 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:25 PM

That makes little sense to me. 24 hours, after weeks, is meaningless,there's a LHer on the mound, and there's less than 30 games left.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#30 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 305 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:33 PM

I would say Minaya goes for Pineda, since they also have to make a spot on the 40 man for Pineda.

Just announced Minaya was DFA'd and Wade sent down.

#31 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,072 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:14 PM

That makes little sense to me. 24 hours, after weeks, is meaningless,there's a LHer on the mound, and there's less than 30 games left.

But if 24 hours is meaningless and he could be activated tonight rather than tomorrow, why not go another meaningless 24 hours and go with last night? And then another meaningless 24 hours (actually 32) to have had him on Sunday? And so on...

Point is, there has to be a threshold to get over, and without MiLB games to use as reference, we don't know what he's done or not done in St. Paul. If another day lessens the likelihood of an Aaron Judge-type 6-inning activation stint before returning to the IL, I don't have a problem with that. The language about Donaldson from this past weekend pointed to a weekend return, so even a game with Chicago is better than none. 

• spycake and DocBauer like this

#32 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,072 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:44 PM

And for what it's worth, Donaldson's OPS against Keuchel in 30 PA is about .085 below his career average. Don't know how that compares with how Marwin has done against Keuchel, but it's not like Donaldson has torn him up.

At this point, Donaldson's presence as "presence" would be invaluable, however. 

#33 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,757 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:58 PM

I don’t get it either. Donaldson has to be better than Vargas or Adrianza no matter how he has performed against Keuchel.

#34 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,607 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:12 PM

Minaya. How many guys have been on the Twins active season roster but never played a game. Chuck Schilling was the first, I believe, waaaay back when. Others?

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#35 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,084 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:24 AM

Today's decision is going to be interesting. Will the Twins send a pitcher to St. Paul putting the active roster at 14 pitchers and 14 position players? If not, there is no obvious choice of which position player would go. Considering you must keep two catchers, the backups to choose from would be Gonzalez, Adrianza and Vargas. Assume they are all out of options, although I don't know about Vargas. But I just don't see any of them going thru DFA or to St. Paul.

So they likely will be forced to reduce the pitching staff to 14, although there isn't an easy choice there either. Almost seems it will have to be one of Alcala, Poppen or Smeltzer. Don't have a clue which they will choose.

The good news is they will be able to bring one back for the two days they have double headers over the next week or so.

#36 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,939 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:37 AM

Assume they are all out of options, although I don't know about Vargas.

He is indeed out of options. 29-year old AAAA guys usually are. :)

• Danchat likes this

A mistake made more than once starts to look like a decision.

#37 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 686 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:27 AM

Today's decision is going to be interesting. Will the Twins send a pitcher to St. Paul putting the active roster at 14 pitchers and 14 position players? If not, there is no obvious choice of which position player would go. Considering you must keep two catchers, the backups to choose from would be Gonzalez, Adrianza and Vargas. Assume they are all out of options, although I don't know about Vargas. But I just don't see any of them going thru DFA or to St. Paul.

So they likely will be forced to reduce the pitching staff to 14, although there isn't an easy choice there either. Almost seems it will have to be one of Alcala, Poppen or Smeltzer. Don't have a clue which they will choose.

The good news is they will be able to bring one back for the two days they have double headers over the next week or so.

It shouldn't be hard though. One of those pitchers that have options or DFA Vargas. No way will they even think twice about dumping Marwin or Ehire. 

#38 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,069 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:26 AM

It shouldn't be hard though. One of those pitchers that have options or DFA Vargas. No way will they even think twice about dumping Marwin or Ehire. 

I think the team is considering Vargas as the 2021 version of Adrianza. I doubt he's as good a shortstop, but with Lewis then close to ready, that wouldn't be as important. I think they could DFA him and outright him to St. Paul. To me, it is the obvious move since they are bringing back an infielder and have seven game in five days after their off day tomorrow.

#39 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,607 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

With the need of NOT having a bullpen game, they can send out Poppen. Eventually they have to make decisions on the 40-man if Bailey returns, and if they add back Gordon and Romero, which may not happen until the off-season.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#40 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 305 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 03:00 PM

I saw Smeltzer mentioned earlier and I don't think they'd send him down since that would burn an option and why do that at this point?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: injured list, 28-man roster, taxi squad, starting pitching depth