Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Playoffs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 535 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:07 AM

Two things are already obvious about this patchwork simulation of a MLB season. The regular season is already a fiasco with numerous virus (not weather) postponements, players sitting out the season and schedules determined by a disease, not actual competition. The other thing already obvious is that the Twins and Yankees will both be in the reconstructed playoffs unless the disease ends the season in the same way that it started the season. So one constant will remain from Twins of recent years, even decades. The New York Yankees are lurking and until that meeting happens, nothing else matters.

• bighat and jkcarew like this

#2 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 299 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:01 AM

Might come down to whoever's starting pitchers are more healthy. Right now, that would be NYY. 

#3 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,739 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:23 AM

Might come down to whoever's starting pitchers are more healthy. Right now, that would be NYY. 

Or even if they're healthy. How would you feel about Rich Hill or Homer Bailey going up against Stanton, Judge, Torres, Urshela, LeMahieu, Gardner, etc....

#4 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 299 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:34 PM

Or even if they're healthy. How would you feel about Rich Hill or Homer Bailey going up against Stanton, Judge, Torres, Urshela, LeMahieu, Gardner, etc....

Rich Hill is good. I'd have no problem sending Rich Hill out to start in a playoff game. Berrios, Maeda, Pineda and Hill all are capable of turning in a quality start against NYY. Of that group I most doubt Berrios, honestly. 

#5 John Kelsey

John Kelsey

Puerto Rico Joe

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:16 PM

Paxton is a disaster right now and most likely hurt, and Severino and German are both out for the year. Beyond Cole they don't have much. 

• ashbury and Danchat like this

#6 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 299 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:37 PM

Paxton is a disaster right now and most likely hurt, and Severino and German are both out for the year. Beyond Cole they don't have much. 

How did I not know that German is out for the year?!.... I forgot that he was suspended for the domestic violence incident.Tanaka isn't bad. Happ isn't good. 

#7 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 535 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:15 AM

At least the rowdy Yankee Stadium crowd won't be a factor unless they simulate that.

#8 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,895 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:37 AM

At least the rowdy Yankee Stadium crowd won't be a factor unless they simulate that.

You know they will...

I could have sworn I heard "Please" and "Thank you, sirs and madame's" simulated over Target Field this homestand.:lol:

#9 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,892 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:15 PM

Maybe. But, the Yankees demolished the Twins last October will Paxton, Tanaka, and 4 innings of a recovering Severino. I doubt seriously the Yankees feel too worried that, in a theoretical 2020 match-up, they'd have to replace a half-strength Severino with a healthy Gerrit Cole.

If it happens, it will be all about the Twins pitching and the ability to at least control that lineup. I think this staff has a better chance. Still, the Yankees look like the best offensive team in baseball, despite the fact that they have their share of guys thathaven't heated up yet (Sanchez and Torres).

#10 Cornholio

Cornholio

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 51 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:25 PM

https://youtu.be/U7fjDS0jKiE
  • spycake likes this

#11 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,892 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:08 PM

The other thing already obvious is that the Twins and Yankees will both be in the reconstructed playoffs unless the disease ends the season in the same way that it started the season.

True. Remember when we were all worried about the 'small sample' risk of a slump putting the Twins post-season chances in jeopardy? Or the talk of how losing one game would have the equivalent 'standard' impact of losing 3 games?

All of it irrelevant. Why? Because we forgot about some new MLB math...

8-team format + massive and pervasive tanking = guaranteed playoffs for any good team.

(Unless they are overwhelmed by the virus at some point)...the regular season 2020 Twins will be like the 70's/80's era Soviet Union olympic hockey team going through pool play. The unexpected/unwanted losses against Sweden or Czechoslovakia will happen here and there. And everyone will flip out. But it never matters. It just won't matter.