Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Did Baseball miss a slam dunk?

day games schedule management
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BrooklynBrent

BrooklynBrent

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:55 PM

Doesn’t it seem like the MLB missed on a slam dunk by not scheduling more day games (see any weekday games)? When we have more people working from home, staying indoors in the evenings, and playoff basketball and hockey (as unreal as that is) doesn’t it seem ludicrous that there aren’t more (if not MOST) day games being played during the week?
Why did baseball get this so backwards? Listening to baseball on the radio is a national pastime, as is watching a day game, and yet with more and more people either stuck at home during the day due to COVID or the changing work environment (more jobs being done from home) the MLB decided to fight playoff basketball and playoff hockey during prime time television hours EVERY DAY of he week! 
sorry, I’m just curious if I’m the only person that feels this way.

Enjoy your dinner and tiny tablet screen-viewing. 

Brent (Twins fan living in nyc). 

• Jerr, nicksaviking, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#2 TouchEmAllGuy

TouchEmAllGuy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:05 PM

Good point! and welcome to TD.

I agree with you and looking at the rest of the schedule, almost all weekday games are evening games. Will be nice to have day games tomorrow and Thursday. At least we don't have any west coast games this season.

• BrooklynBrent likes this

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:20 PM

I still work outside the house almost everyday.

Even though more people are working at home, I would guess it’s still considerably less than half.

#4 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 305 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:27 PM

They should have a noon game, and a 3:10 game every day. Not a bunch, but at least 1. My bigger beef is that on Saturday there was only 1 scheduled day game and it was rained out.ON Saturday they should schedule at least 2 noon games and 2 3:10 games so that if the national game is rained out they can air the other game. 

• mplsman, carewser and BrooklynBrent like this

#5 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:30 PM

They should have a noon game, and a 3:10 game every day. Not a bunch, but at least 1. My bigger beef is that on Saturday there was only 1 scheduled day game and it was rained out.ON Saturday they should schedule at least 2 noon games and 2 3:10 games so that if the national game is rained out they can air the other game.

There were like 4 covid related cancellations Saturday too. So that means there were only 11 games scheduled.

#6 BrooklynBrent

BrooklynBrent

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:58 PM

Lecroy24fan, I totally agree! There should be staggered games on weekdays & weekends for those of us that enjoy watching multiple games. It doesn’t make much sense to have a Friday lineup that has 6 games that essentially start at 5:30pm Central and 9 games that start around 6:30pm. How can anyone enjoy that lineup (provided Paw Patrol isn’t on)? 

I don’t understand why Football staggers their games throughout the day, and even Basketball has daytime playoff games scheduled (thanks Casey), yet baseball just rolls everyone out at 7pm?

#7 denarded

denarded

• 227 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:38 PM

I thought the same way before this season got started, but ratings are ratings. The expensive commercial breaks are for prime time, and I don't think the Pandemic has changed media buyers minds. Especialy since who knows how many are ingesting games via web. Having a Noon, 3, and prime game everyday would work perfectly for the fan, but not so much for the East Coast/Central teams who inevitably would be playing the early game (thus losing revenue). The Dodgers would love it.

• ashbury and jkcarew like this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#8 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,883 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:32 PM

Totally appreciate the thread idea and your viewpoint. And I enjoy day games here and there, whether they be during the week or weekend, even though I miss the majority of them. And I believe make up games and double headers will provide some of that day action.

And sorry to rain on your parade, but the topic matter itself tends to lean towards the status quo. Working from home, from the MLB standpoint, means those people are still working. Meaning, as per usual, the evenings still bring in more free time and more viewers.
  • spycake and bighat like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#9 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,774 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:09 AM

Working from home, from the MLB standpoint, means those people are still working. Meaning, as per usual, the evenings still bring in more free time and more viewers.

Correct. I've been working remotely for the past 7 years or so. While I can sometimes quickly check the score on a day game, there's no way I could even watch more than an inning.

I think there will be more day games this year due to the home-and-home schedules between leagues. More getaway games on Tuesdays, for example (like today with the Twins).

• spycake, DocBauer and BrooklynBrent like this

#10 spycake

spycake

• 18,231 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:44 AM

Doesn’t it seem like the MLB missed on a slam dunk by not scheduling more day games (see any weekday games)? When we have more people working from home, staying indoors in the evenings, and playoff basketball and hockey (as unreal as that is) doesn’t it seem ludicrous that there aren’t more (if not MOST) day games being played during the week?
Why did baseball get this so backwards? Listening to baseball on the radio is a national pastime, as is watching a day game, and yet with more and more people either stuck at home during the day due to COVID or the changing work environment (more jobs being done from home) the MLB decided to fight playoff basketball and playoff hockey during prime time television hours EVERY DAY of he week! 
sorry, I’m just curious if I’m the only person that feels this way.

Enjoy your dinner and tiny tablet screen-viewing. 

Brent (Twins fan living in nyc). 

In terms of broadcast media, MLB is a largely regional sport. And local MLB TV ratings have been doing great in recent years with the primetime format -- and are largely impervious to sports competition (outside of a local NFL game at the same time). I doubt the Twins lost many viewers in the upper midwest last night to first-round Spurs-76ers or Canadiens-Penguins matchups.

And the same factors that are causing some people to work from home during the day right now are also keeping them home in the evenings too, mostly without work responsibility, so those evening local MLB ratings could be even better in 2020, even if the NBA and NHL are drawing viewers too. ("A rising tide lifts all boats" so to speak.)

#11 spycake

spycake

• 18,231 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:02 AM

Lecroy24fan, I totally agree! There should be staggered games on weekdays & weekends for those of us that enjoy watching multiple games. It doesn’t make much sense to have a Friday lineup that has 6 games that essentially start at 5:30pm Central and 9 games that start around 6:30pm. How can anyone enjoy that lineup (provided Paw Patrol isn’t on)? 

I don’t understand why Football staggers their games throughout the day, and even Basketball has daytime playoff games scheduled (thanks Casey), yet baseball just rolls everyone out at 7pm?

There are very few baseball fans who "enjoy watching multiple games" in a day.

Baseball is a daily sport, unlike football (once a week) or even basketball and hockey (once every few days). Most baseball fans just follow 1 team/game per day, and the best time to reach most of those fans is usually the evening.

Those of us that use MLB.TV to follow multiple games in the background on a regular basis are a very small segment of baseball fans, and a segment that generates little direct revenue for MLB. (As evidenced, in part, by the extremely low price of MLB.TV and relative scarcity of ads on the service.) Designing their broadcast schedule around us would make no sense! Especially when we diehards could just as easily put on an archived game that we didn't follow last night and be entertained...

#12 spycake

spycake

• 18,231 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:43 AM

Rainouts are relatively rare, especially in the modern era. In 2019, there were 38 rainouts, out of 2430 games. 8 stadiums have roofs, and 5 more are in California (they say it never rains in southern California...). And given the regional nature of the sport, rainouts are much more of a problem for ticketing and stadium operations, neither of which is a concern in 2020.

Last Saturday, there wasn't supposed to be a nationally broadcast day game. The marquee matchup of Reds-Tigers was originally a 5 PM CDT start time on FS1, but the game time was moved up to 12 noon to avoid rain before being postponed completely. Given the matchup, I don't think FS1's ratings were affected much either way!

Most Saturday "national" broadcasts are somewhat regional and played concurrently with another game, like last Saturday's 6 PM "national" games on Fox (NYY-BOS and HOU-LAA, the latter of which had an extremely low risk of inclement weather).

Also note that Fox is trying to cram 6 months worth of national broadcasts into 2 months this season. I'm guessing a game like Reds-Tigers probably wouldn't make the slate in a normal season....

#13 BrooklynBrent

BrooklynBrent

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:14 PM

Man, its sad to hear so few fans enjoy watching games outside of their favorite team. I guess if that’s the way it is then staggering games throughout the day wouldn’t make sense. 

Maybe its my predilection for fantasy baseball talking, but I do enjoy having other games on, watching touted rookies, aged veterans, drunkards, the rare Cespedes game, and otherwise compelling matchups while working. But I suppose myself alone in this, which should not be surprising anymore. 

—I don’t suppose anyone else talks to their robot vacuum? 

Yours in Sporting Health, 

Brent “Solitary day game watcher” Doyle

#14 spycake

spycake

• 18,231 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:02 AM

Man, its sad to hear so few fans enjoy watching games outside of their favorite team. I guess if that’s the way it is then staggering games throughout the day wouldn’t make sense. 

I don't know if it has to be "sad". It's just a daily regional sport, rather than a less frequent national spectacle, and it's been this way for most of its history.

Doesn't mean fans can't follow the national game, of course. I suspect MLB news and highlights perform well on social media. And I think the MLB app offers "live look-ins" at close games? Those are more reasonable expectations for national fan content consumption than watching traditional game broadcasts, when their own local team already has a 3+ hour TV broadcast every day.

—I don’t suppose anyone else talks to their robot vacuum? 

Better than talking to a non-robot vacuum! :)

rosie-the-robot-jetsons-vacuum.jpg

#15 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,530 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:14 PM

Even if individuals aren't watching back-to-back games, I think there's a market.

I mostly only follow the Twins. But when I'm in a bar or restaurant before evening, I'd rather watch any live game than yesterday's FSN rerun or muted Sportscenter.

The Cubs and Braves made lifelong national fans by airing games during the day in the '80s-90s.

#16 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 557 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM

I`d love more day games, Brent. Living in Brazil, I`d get to follow more games if there were more day games or have it staggered later

#17 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,893 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:31 PM

Even if individuals aren't watching back-to-back games, I think there's a market.

I mostly only follow the Twins. But when I'm in a bar or restaurant before evening, I'd rather watch any live game than yesterday's FSN rerun or muted Sportscenter.

The Cubs and Braves made lifelong national fans by airing games during the day in the '80s-90s.

The Cubs had one of the First Nation-wide cable networks at the time...and had no lights at their ballpark. The Braves benefitted similarly with TBS...but they played most their week day games at night, like everyone else.

#18 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,893 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:50 PM

Has anyone ever seen an NFL, NHL, or NHL game played during the day on a week day (non-holiday)? The only reason it happens at all in MLB, is that the players union has applied pressure relative to travel schedules. And it only happens to the extent necessary to address those situations. Those lights didn’t finally go up at Wrigley for more fans, they went up for more TV $’s.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: day games, schedule, management