Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 Twins Transactions

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#41 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:04 PM

Seth or someone can correct me if I am wrong. But isn't it typical if they DFA someone they don't announce that until he has either been selected by another team, traded to another team, or cleared waivers and reports to St. Paul?

If that is the case, expect someone is going thru the DFA process and we will learn what happened in a few days. My guess who would be Whitefield, but could be someone else or even someone moved to the longer injury list (is it still 60-days, or 45 this year?).

What you describe is outright assignment waivers. They could put a player on the current 25-man or 40-man roster on waivers behind the scenes, and then only announce it if he is claimed by another team, or if he clears and they outright him off the roster. (Even if he clears, they don’t have to outright him right away either, so there might be no announcement.)

DFA is a little different. That actually removes the player from the roster immediately, so it can’t be done behind the scenes. Then you have up to 7 days to trade, waive, or release the player.

#42 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,739 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:11 PM

Gearrin is pitching right now, so they must have DFAd somebody.

#43 spycake

spycake

• 18,169 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:16 PM

Gearrin is pitching right now, so they must have DFAd somebody.

Maybe the transactions are all processed on eastern time, so the Twins DFA’d Gearrin an hour ago to make room for Gearrin now? :)
  • lecroy24fan, 70charger and rdehring like this

#44 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 305 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:06 PM

Whitefield cleared waivers and was outrighted to the minors, not St. Paul. So he is ineligible to return to the Tiwns 60 man player pool. They also signed Casey Lawrence to a minor league deal and he was added to the pool.

• Danchat and bighat like this

#45 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:24 AM

The Twins signed Casey Lawrence to a minor league deal in January. No big league camp. Just minor league camp. (like Lane Adams and Juan Minaya and a whole bunch of former MLB players)

He pitched in 38 games for the Blue Jays and Mariners in 2017 and 2018. He's 32. 

#46 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,739 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:09 PM

Twins activate C/INF Willians Astudillo from the 10-day injured list; optioned him to their alternate training site.
Astudillo was among the Twins' players who tested positive for COVID-19 last month. He'll try to stay ready in case there's a need at the major league level.

#47 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 305 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:18 PM

The Twins signed Casey Lawrence to a minor league deal in January. No big league camp. Just minor league camp. (like Lane Adams and Juan Minaya and a whole bunch of former MLB players)

He pitched in 38 games for the Blue Jays and Mariners in 2017 and 2018. He's 32. 

They released him in March so it was a re-signing.

#48 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 305 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:24 PM

I would think Astudillo will be on the taxi squad next road trip instead of Telis.

With the Vargas trade it means they will move someone else off the 40 man.

#49 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:05 PM

I would think Astudillo will be on the taxi squad next road trip instead of Telis.

With the Vargas trade it means they will move someone else off the 40 man.

I'd prefer Telis to Astudillo, but you're probably right, especially since he's on the 40-man roster already. 

• lecroy24fan likes this

#50 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 305 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:44 PM

I'd prefer Telis to Astudillo, but you're probably right, especially since he's on the 40-man roster already. 

I suppose you could take both. 

#51 sdangus

sdangus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 97 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:12 PM

Who's spot is Ildemaro Vargas going to take? Is Luis Arraez in danger of being sent down?

#52 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• 236 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:11 PM

Who's spot is Ildemaro Vargas going to take? Is Luis Arraez in danger of being sent down?

Supposedly Arráez' knee has been bothering him, but he is in the lineup tonight, so seemingly not in need of IL time. I'd think he's earned a longer leash even if he's struggling a bit lately.

#53 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 305 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:49 PM

Littell activated, Stashak to the 10 day IL (lower back inflammation) and Gearrin DFA'd.

• milldaddy35 likes this

#54 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,069 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:22 PM

So that clears a spot for Vargas?

#55 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• 305 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:39 PM

So that clears a spot for Vargas?

That is correct.

#56 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,842 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:26 AM

I think Vargas is just here so that we can give more guys days off and put Gonzalez in the OF occasionally to get him ABs since he's one of our few hot hitters. It seems to me that the guy who should now be a little worried is Cave since both Vargas and Gonzalez can play a respectable corner OF and both are switch hitters, although neither Vargas or Cave are hitting much at all. This might give us the chance to DFA or trade Cave and bring in Larnach or Kiriloff. With Vargas able to be a bench IF, Gonzalez can be the bench RH OF, so it's a little easier to bring up a LH OF/1B bat. I was a supporter of Cave but it just looks like he can't hit without regular playing time and he isn't going to get that with the Twins. Better to trade him to a lower end team that would play him like Pittsburgh or Seattle for an A ball lottery ticket or decent but older reliever (probably the max of what he's what he's worth).  

#57 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:39 AM

Last night, the Twins announced the following:

Zack Littell removed from the IL. Cody Stashak placed on the IL (lower back inflammation)

Ildremaro Vargas added to roster. Cory Gearrin DFAd. 

OOPS - I didn't scroll up far enough to see this was already mentioned. My bad!

• lecroy24fan likes this

#58 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 582 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:00 PM

Cory Gearrin gets added to the roster, tosses 2 shut-out innings in his only appearance, and is then DFAed...

Now that is pitching depth!

• big dog and BeatTheRich like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#59 BeatTheRich

BeatTheRich

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 67 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:54 PM

Seth, why do you prefer Telis over Astudillo? I like the intangibles Tortuga brings, especially his gung-ho, all-for-one, one-for-all attitude. There's the situational flexibility aspect as well, what with all the positions he plays. Is Telis so much better as a catcher?

#60 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,069 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 19 August 2020 - 05:03 PM

It looks like Littell drew the short straw and was sent to St. Paul, unless he was put back on the injured list.