Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 Twins Transactions

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,438 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:29 PM

Caleb Thielbar is back in the big leagues. 

Was there an opening on the 40 man roster? - Edit, never mind.

Looked it up, it seems that the roster was at 38 to start the year with Romero and Pineda on the restricted list, and we've since added Whitefield and Thielbar to the 40 man. 

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,589 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:47 PM

Well I'll be. I must have missed him on the bench then. I guess it's good news that he hasn't actually been needed in a game yet.

Rocco did insert him as a late-game defensive replacement in one of the White Sox games.

It's so simple to be wise: think of something stupid and say the opposite. -- Sam Levenson

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,385 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:33 PM

RIch Hill placed on the IL with shoulder fatigue... no corresponding move to announce tonight. I'm guessing it'd come before the Tuesday afternoon game. 

A few updates... 

1.) Sounds like things went well for Odorizzi today. He should make a start this weekend against the Royals.

2.) Bailey's doing fine. Should make a start early next week. 

3.) Hill just experiencing fatigue. Baldelli said they got the transaction in before the game today to get an extra day to retroactively IL him. So, by that, he should be ready to make a start early next week too. 

• Craig Arko and milldaddy35 like this

#24 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,662 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:44 PM

Fatigue after one outing doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

Eventually the rotation is going to need to give them more than 5 innings. Depth or not, the bullpen will get overused like it does every year.

The added depth is nice, but I don't think it's enough to support having to go 4-5 innings every night.

#25 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,559 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:14 AM

Are we going to see more bullpen games? Maybe Smeltzer will get a start? That is three of the five projected members of the rotation now on the IL. 

It looks like we'll see plenty of movement between St. Paul and Minneapolis in this most unique baseball season.

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,385 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:30 PM

Are we going to see more bullpen games? Maybe Smeltzer will get a start? That is three of the five projected members of the rotation now on the IL. 

It looks like we'll see plenty of movement between St. Paul and Minneapolis in this most unique baseball season.

We may see some creativity while there are 30 and 28 player rosters. We may also see creativity against the Pirates and Royals, getting guys work. 

• Shaitan likes this

#27 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,437 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:53 PM

Looks like Seth beat me to it, but yes. In modern MLB I suspect they could find a way to have a 50-man roster and still be short on bullpen arms.

• gil4 likes this

#28 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,438 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:10 AM

Odorizzi will be coming off the IL to start on Saturday. We do have a roster spot open for him, but I believe we have to cut to 28 soon?

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,385 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:19 PM

Aaron Whitefield was "optioned" after last night's game to put the Twins roster at 28, which it is going to be for the remainder of the season.

Also learned this morning that the taxi squad will now be FIVE players instead of three players. 

#30 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,438 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:22 PM

Donaldson to IL, retroactive to August 4th. No corresponding move yet, but maybe Blankenhorn?

#31 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• 3,237 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

Do we know who the 5 people on the taxi squad are?

Career Game Thread Record: 20-7

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,385 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:46 PM

Donaldson to IL, retroactive to August 4th. No corresponding move yet, but maybe Blankenhorn?

I would think Odorizzi will take that spot on Saturday before the game. 

• Danchat likes this

#33 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,385 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:47 PM

Do we know who the 5 people on the taxi squad are?

Right now, they have:

LHP Sam Cay, RHP Cory Guerrin and C Tomas Telis.

Aaron Whiteifield is still with the team. He's kind of on the taxi squad, but can only be "called up" if there is an injury or a COVID illness.

So right now they're at four. 

• Danchat and milldaddy35 like this

#34 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,559 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted Yesterday, 07:14 AM

I'm cloudy on Astudillo's status. He was on the IL for a positive COVID test and was sent to St. Paul when he was cleared, but I haven't seen where he was optioned. I presume he is on the IL and rehabbing. Is there a limit this year to the amount of time before he must be put on the active roster or activated? 

#35 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,385 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:15 AM

Jake Odorizzi officially activated from the IL today, taking Donaldson's roster spot.