Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 Twins Transactions

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:16 PM

There haven't been many yet, but I'll start this today...

The Twins just announced that Zack Littell (hamstring) has been placed on the 10-Day IL... Jorge Alcala recalled. 

• tarheeltwinsfan and bighat like this

#2 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,449 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:36 PM

There haven't been many yet, but I'll start this today...

The Twins just announced that Zack Littell (hamstring) has been placed on the 10-Day IL... Jorge Alcala recalled. 

So Alcala is coming from the taxi squad, and how exactly does that work? I assume the 3 players (Alcala, Telis, Thielbar) were traveling with the team and not working out with the 60 man pool that aren't on the 30 man roster? And do they choose a new player to join the taxi squad since Alcala has been elevated?

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#3 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,658 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:05 PM

Sorry to hear this for Littell as I really, really like him and think he's found his spot. Some think he could take his stuff and limited MLB experience and move back to the rotation. Could He? I think it's an interesting arguement. But my feeling is he has found his role and my personal belief is Duran and Balazovic will surpass him soon as any SP option, and Thorpe is a guy I still have great faith in.

I feel bad for him as I believe in him despite one bad outing. But even in a short season, there is so much time for him to make an important contribution this year.

I am surprised Alcala is the guy brought up. I really thought Poppen would be the next guy up. Good stuff, good potential, milb numbers show decent control. I see him as a Stashak clone, more or less.

But you can't deny the arm talent of Alcala. And I recall Hawkins speaking about Alcala a couple weeks ago concerning how close he was, though I was a bit confused about his reference to Alcala having a good change as I thought his 3rd selection was the biggest issue from him remaining as a SP. But I could be remembering incorrectly...and please correct me here...maybe it was just overall control.

Regardless, arm talent is tremendous and looking forward to seeing him.
  • Dman and Doctor Gast like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#4 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,479 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:26 PM

Encouraging choice.

• SQUIRREL likes this

#5 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,658 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:54 PM

If Donaldson needs to be nursed, and I absolutely would do so if necessary, do we add Blankenhorn to the roster for a week or two? It seems obvious to me.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,560 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:19 AM

I would think the next position player added would be Astudillo. He's had most of a week to shake off the rust and he's both a third catcher and utility guy. 

As far as the playing time at third until Donaldson is ready to return, I would guess Marwin gets the starts with Adrianza also available. No real need to add someone to play third.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, Dman and 3 others like this

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:10 AM

So Alcala is coming from the taxi squad, and how exactly does that work? I assume the 3 players (Alcala, Telis, Thielbar) were traveling with the team and not working out with the 60 man pool that aren't on the 30 man roster? And do they choose a new player to join the taxi squad since Alcala has been elevated?

The Twins are at home, so they don't have to designate a taxi squad. Also, each road trip, the taxi squad can change. Those three were on the taxi squad to Chicago, but when they head to Pittsburgh on Wednesday, it could be three different players. While they're at home, the non-30-man-roster guys are just working out at CHS Field.

With an injury, the Twins can call up anyone on the 40-man roster. They bring three players on the road as a taxi squad to avoid traveling last minute and having depth right there. 

• Danchat, big dog, VOMG and 2 others like this

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:14 AM

Sorry to hear this for Littell as I really, really like him and think he's found his spot. Some think he could take his stuff and limited MLB experience and move back to the rotation. Could He? I think it's an interesting arguement. But my feeling is he has found his role and my personal belief is Duran and Balazovic will surpass him soon as any SP option, and Thorpe is a guy I still have great faith in.

I feel bad for him as I believe in him despite one bad outing. But even in a short season, there is so much time for him to make an important contribution this year.

I am surprised Alcala is the guy brought up. I really thought Poppen would be the next guy up. Good stuff, good potential, milb numbers show decent control. I see him as a Stashak clone, more or less.

Littell is a good guy. And as Baldelli said yesterday, this is a minor thing and he probably doesn't need 10 days, but rather than him not being avaialble for the next 4-5 days and playing with essentially a 29-man roster, they're making the move. 

Could Littell go back to starting? Sure, but why? 1.) They already have 8 solid MLB starting options on the 30 man roster. (plus Duran and Chalmers in St. Paul) 2.) He thrived in the bullpen in 2019, and 3.) He's now comfortable in that role. 

As for Alcala vs Poppen. Poppen couldn't throw strikes during summer camp. He's got great stuff, but Alcala's got electric stuff. I included some quotes from Baldelli on Alcala (and the Littell injury) in my bullpen article from late last night. From that, you can hear the excitement they have for Alcala's arm. 

I would say that Stashak and Poppen are polar opposites right now. 

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher and DocBauer like this

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:15 AM

If Donaldson needs to be nursed, and I absolutely would do so if necessary, do we add Blankenhorn to the roster for a week or two? It seems obvious to me.

I bet her would enjoy getting to play a game in his home state. But yeah, I was thinking this too. If they 10-day'd Donaldson, I think Blankenhorn makes the most sense. 

#10 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 106 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:18 AM

Whatever happened to Kirloff? And Austudillo is supposed to be ready to play Forgive my poor spelling.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:02 PM

The Twins have placed Homer Bailey on the IL with right biceps tendinitis (which is no fun)... Sean Poppen called up.

Remember it was announced following the game last night that Tyler Clippard was starting today as an opener, with Bailey pushed back a day. Apparently the arm issue showed up.  

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:03 PM

Whatever happened to Kirloff? And Austudillo is supposed to be ready to play Forgive my poor spelling.

I can't imagine Astudillo is anywhere near ready to play. He was only cleared to practice about a week ago, which means he missed probably a month of time. 

Kirilloff is in St. Paul with the CHS Player Pool. 

#13 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,889 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:41 PM

Is there any word on when Odorizzi might be ready to return?

Update your priors.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:54 PM

Is there any word on when Odorizzi might be ready to return?

No, but based on what's been said, he's throwing against hitters. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start either in Pittsburgh or the first game or two against the Royals. 

• operation mindcrime likes this

#15 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,574 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:12 PM

They are not adding anyone to the 40-man unless they really have to. Can't wait to see how Miami handles this problem.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#16 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,449 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:01 PM

No, but based on what's been said, he's throwing against hitters. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start either in Pittsburgh or the first game or two against the Royals. 

I heard yesterday during the game that they expect Odorizzi to start one of the games next weekend. 

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:27 PM

Caleb Thielbar is back in the big leagues. 

#18 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,662 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:40 PM

What did I miss? When was Wade called up?

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,387 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:54 PM

What did I miss? When was Wade called up?

Wade was on the Opening Day roster. 

#20 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,662 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:02 PM

Wade was on the Opening Day roster. 

Well I'll be. I must have missed him on the bench then. I guess it's good news that he hasn't actually been needed in a game yet.