Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Brian Wilson

brian wilson bullpen free agents offseason
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mave

Mave

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Thinking back on http://twinsdaily.co...-Is-The-Bullpen...

What are the odds the Twins toss their line in the water? The team took a flier on Zumaya last year, and I loved the idea of this deal at the time, and I was bummed it didn't work out. I understand this is a different situation with two different players, I'm just curious, throwing this out there. What is the market/expected contract value for Wilson? Sorry if this issue has already been addressed.

#2 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Twins absolutey need to address a hard throwing righthanded setup man to help Jaret Burton (who may be a 1yr wonder)......they have already shown they dont think much of TJ recovery guys by underpaying Scot Baker (who left) & saying they will baby Kyle Gibson all year.
Think they is no shot but I would explore it.....Wilson will only consider a winner IMO

#3 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

No way Wilson comes here. He made $8M last year and will only consider closing for a contender. The only way he comes to the Twins as a setup guy is if the Twins way overpay him (at least the $8M he made last year) - and what a waste that would be instead of paying for starters.

They wouldn't pay Nathan - they sure won't give their largest FA contract ever to Wilson.

Edited by ScottyB, 01 December 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#4 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

The risk isn't worth the reward for Wilson, and my guess is his services will require some serious coin.

#5 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

It's worth tossing a line out. Chances of getting him are slim, but we'll never know if we don't ask. Becoming a FA by non-tender doesn't typically encourage other teams to pay top dollar for ya

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I don't know about Wilson "only playing for a contender." He's far more likely to play for the team willing to shell out the most money for his services. Given his name, he's probably going to get a decent contract, and I highly doubt he comes here because he's going to want to close.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian wilson, bullpen, free agents, offseason