Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

25 million for 3 starting pitchers.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

My questions for you is how you divy 15 to 25 million with absolutely no more than 25 million going to Starting Pitching?

http://twinsdaily.co...arting-Pitchers

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

Anibel Sanchez 5/80
Erik Bedard 1/4
Francisco Liriano 1/4 or Shawn Marcum 2/10

either that or Sanches for 5/80 and Haren 1/10

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Anibel Sanchez 5/80
Erik Bedard 1/4
Francisco Liriano 1/4 or Shawn Marcum 2/10

either that or Sanches for 5/80 and Haren 1/10

That's pretty good there. I would say something like 13 for Jackson, 9 for Marcum, and perhaps a couple minor league deals.

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Shaun Marcum 3/24
Greinke 5/95
Pavano 1/1

#5 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

12-15/yr for one pitcher
5-10/yr for the 2nd pitcher
scraps for the 3rd

Quality > Quantity

#6 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Shaun Marcum 3/24
Greinke 5/95
Pavano 1/1

That contract WOULD probably guarantee Marcum, but they can probably get him for less. Perhaps even a 1-year 9 million dollar deal with a 11 million team option and million dollar buyout.

Greinke is going to get that minimally somewhere else. 6/120 and you might get him.

Pavano needs to never be in a Twins uniform again.

#7 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

12-15/yr for one pitcher
scraps for the 3rd

Quality > Quantity

Exactly.

The 3rd pitcher can be a scrap heap signing, honestly I think Hendriks might have a shot to be a solid #5 this year, meaning we only really need 2 pitchers out of FA

#8 Big City

Big City

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Edwin Jackson 4-years $48 million
Ryan Dempster 3-years $33 million
Francisco Liriano 1-year $2 million

#9 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Edwin Jackson 4-years $48 million
Ryan Dempster 3-years $33 million
Francisco Liriano 1-year $2 million

No to Dempster for any price, especially for 3 years. Liriano is also going to get more money.

Grienke for 5/110 with an option. Liriano for 2 years 12 million and an option. No need for another pitcher. Grienke instantly makes this team a .500 team, and Liriano will have his usual swing year. I really wanted Baker too, but the Cubs gave him a nice offer (he will be worth every penny IMO). Send invites or cheap one year incentive deals to Bedard, Sheets, Pavano, Braden, Harden. This team will seriously compete in 3 years, giving Grienke a nice contract guarantees an elite pitcher for then. Grienke, Gibson, Hendriks and Diamond would be the core going forward, and Meyer, Berrios coming up after them.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

So we've had two starting pitchers sign already - have any of the people who have posted suggested contracts been aware of this? Scott Feldman got 6M and you think Liriano gets 2? Bedard 4? Marcum 8?

Is this topic trolling or are people just not paying attention to who has already been signed?

#11 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

It's been opined elsewhere that some of these FA pitchers with a question mark or two due to health or other factors, might consider one year deals in a pitcher friendly ballpark in order to drive up their value for next season. McCarthy, Haren, Jurrjens, Lannon and quite a few others could fall into that catagory. If you got Haren for 1/10, you might be able to backload a nice deal for a guy like Sanchez and still have enough to spend on another decent arm.

#12 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

12-15/yr for one pitcher
scraps for the 3rd

Quality > Quantity

Given the state of our rotation last year, quantity is needed too... I agree that there has to be at least 1 blue chip signing, and like you I'd prefer a middle tier signing, but regardless, all signings need to target upside.

#13 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

So we've had two starting pitchers sign already - have any of the people who have posted suggested contracts been aware of this? Scott Feldman got 6M and you think Liriano gets 2? Bedard 4? Marcum 8?

Is this topic trolling or are people just not paying attention to who has already been signed?

I agree that everyone is undervaluing pitchers too. I'd say 10-13 million for Marcum and Bedard 5-8. That's still enough for both of those two and possibly a pitcher on the cheap. The Twins should be willing to spend a little more than 25 million.

#14 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

The market is weird. I don't think it is that unusual to have overpaying early and then after the meetings, the market resets. Feldman got RIDICULOUSLY lucky, given that he isn't very good. Marcum has an injury concern as well.

The Twins could still overpay Jackson and Marcum at $25 million a year combined. If Gorzelanny can be had for a MiL contract, that would be nice.

#15 rnw24

rnw24

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

haren/marcum and jurrjens and the roll the dice on the scrap heap
formerly known as torii_hunter_mvp on byto.

#16 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

The market is weird. I don't think it is that unusual to have overpaying early and then after the meetings, the market resets. Feldman got RIDICULOUSLY lucky, given that he isn't very good. Marcum has an injury concern as well.

The Twins could still overpay Jackson and Marcum at $25 million a year combined. If Gorzelanny can be had for a MiL contract, that would be nice.

Early signings often set the market. Especially since these early signings are supposed to be the bargain guys. Usually the huge overpayments are to much better pitchers. This year even the scrubs are making bank. Pettite at 12, Feldman at 6, Baker at 5 all indicate that the estimates here are about 40% too low.

I would like to see the Twins sign Marcum and another 8-10M pitcher and that is going to chew up pretty much that entire budget assuming 25M. But it's becoming silly to see these estimates that are cartoonishly low.

#17 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

12-15/yr for one pitcher
scraps for the 3rd

Quality > Quantity

Given the state of our rotation last year, quantity is needed too... I agree that there has to be at least 1 blue chip signing, and like you I'd prefer a middle tier signing, but regardless, all signings need to target upside.

That's true but if you spread the money across too many pitchers you end up getting crap at each spot.

#18 JDW

JDW

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Surprised noone mentions McCarthy. I think he's the 3rd best pitcher on the market.

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Marcum got a nice contract, but I have a tough time believing guys like Bedard and Liriano who have had their good moments but have plenty of baggage are going to get big contracts. I could see something that is incentive laden, but given their question marks, I highly doubt they are going to get huge contracts.

The market is weird in part b/c teams went out and got the guy they were targeting, and at this stage of the game, with the big tier pitchers not falling, you are going to overpay a bit to get it. There might be something to the added revenue thing, but that will affect the contracts for good talent, not some guy that has just as much chance of being a disaster as he does making good on his contract.

#20 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

I'd bet agents, and some teams, are factoring in next year's additional money for everyone (they'd be crazy not to if they are signing multi-year deals). So, I think the numbers here are, in general, low.

#21 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Regardless, $25 million for Jackson, Marcum, and minor league flyers for one or more guys seems pretty doable. Sanchez would be nicer than either, of course.