Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

MLB Team affected by Covid, getting in the whole season

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#81 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:28 PM

Cespedes is out. Another star walks away.

#82 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,558 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:50 PM

Cespedes is out. Another star walks away.

Cespedes is his own special case.

Anyway, another TD member started an opt-out thread, so please place your opt-out updates there:

http://twinsdaily.co...layer-opt-outs/
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#83 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:00 PM

The Cardinals are now up to 6 positive tests, though at least 3 are not players.

Still, given the incubation period of this disease, it is worth noting that they were likely spreading it around when they played the Twins.

My gut says Manfred will shut it down today for at least two weeks. My guess is that before those two weeks are up, the 2020 season will officially cancelled.

MLB had something like 50 positive tests in the first ten days of games. That’s a clear indication that they have no way of preventing outbreaks. Can you imagine what the fallout will be if someone (like a traveling staffer) actually dies?

It will be a human tragedy and a PR nightmare the likes of which MLB has never seen, and that’s saying something about a sport that has seen betting scandals, rampant narcotics use, rampant PED use, and cheating scandals.

#84 TouchEmAllGuy

TouchEmAllGuy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 118 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:21 PM

Cardinals-Tigers 4-game series postponed.

13 members of St. Louis organization test positive for COVID-19.

#85 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:24 PM

Cardinals-Tigers 4-game series postponed.
13 members of St. Louis organization test positive for COVID-19.

So that means they got 7 new positive results today.

Just to recap, two teams that are in different geographical regions had about 20% of their traveling party test positive within 10 days of starting the season.

There are what, 8 teams that are not playing this week because either they have an outbreak or their scheduled opponent does. That’s about 1/4 of the league.

MLB needs to shut it down before they kill somebody.

Right now they are embarrassing themselves.
  • Nine of twelve and TouchEmAllGuy like this

#86 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,347 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:05 AM

The latest: This is an AP article lifted from the Strib.

https://www.startrib...outs/572023402/

#87 spycake

spycake

• 18,106 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:04 AM

FWIW, the Marlins have resumed play and are now tied (with the Twins and Cubs) for the best winning percentage in baseball!

(thanks to a doubleheader sweep of the Orioles yesterday...)
  • bighat likes this

#88 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,603 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:44 PM

I did find it interesting that when Nick Markakis, who had initially opted out of the season but became the most notable player to opt back in, hit a walk-off home run to win the game for the Braves tonight in his first game back, the team stormed the field....then they proceeded to distance themselves and lift their hands in the air in a large, spaced-out group around home plate and do high jazz hands in group celebration.

That said, when Freddie Freeman homered earlier in the game, he got slaps on the back and such in the dugout as had been the case previously, so it's not all jelly beans and rainbows.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#89 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 401 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:52 PM

And the 2-3 Cardinals are cancelled again tonight. What a joke. Other teams will cancel games.

#90 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:04 PM

The truly alarming fact is that the Cardinals have been all but completely locked down since July 30 and are STILL getting positive tests from players and staff that have presumably tested negative at least once since that date.

https://www.cbssport...till-sidelined/

#91 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,522 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:13 PM

The truly alarming fact is that the Cardinals have been all but completely locked down since July 30 and are STILL getting positive tests from players and staff that have presumably tested negative at least once since that date.

https://www.cbssport...till-sidelined/

Huh.It's almost like playing baseball games presents no greater environment for transmission than not playing baseball games.

• Danchat likes this

#92 SkyBlueWaters

SkyBlueWaters

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 81 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:25 PM

I read yesterday that MLB is considering going the "bubble" route for the playoffs. IF they make it to the playoffs.

They should have done it from the start. St. Louis has played 5 games. They are about two weeks behind. That's a lotta doubleheaders. 

The Cards will need the spirit of an old Cubbie, Ernie "Let's play two!" Banks, to get close to 60 games. What happens if, come the end of the season, they are closer to 50? MLB just uses winning percentage?

What a mess. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#93 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,347 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:04 AM

I read yesterday that MLB is considering going the "bubble" route for the playoffs. IF they make it to the playoffs.

They should have done it from the start. St. Louis has played 5 games. They are about two weeks behind. That's a lotta doubleheaders. 

The Cards will need the spirit of an old Cubbie, Ernie "Let's play two!" Banks, to get close to 60 games. What happens if, come the end of the season, they are closer to 50? MLB just uses winning percentage?

What a mess. 

Regarding how many games are played and who makes the postseason, who cares? I have been watching the Twins play because I enjoy watching good baseball players play games. And while I like the Twins to win it just doesn't matter when it comes to the standings because this season is just one big asterisk anyway. The games are nothing more than exhibition games.

• Platoon likes this

#94 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,715 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:58 AM

Huh.It's almost like playing baseball games presents no greater environment for transmission than not playing baseball games.

Or it could be that the incubation period is up to 14 days, which is just about how long it's been since their first positive test.

• ashbury likes this

#95 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,978 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:07 AM

My apologies if someone has brought this up before, but has anyone heard if MLB has instituted a minimum number of games played requirement to be eligible for the playoffs?

They way it is going the Cardinals won't come close to playing 60 games.What if they finish say 25-15 and another team is 35-25?Based on wins/losses the two teams are tied, but the Cards clearly have a higher winning %.

Who goes to the playoffs?

#96 twinbythebay

twinbythebay

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 241 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:33 AM

My apologies if someone has brought this up before, but has anyone heard if MLB has instituted a minimum number of games played requirement to be eligible for the playoffs?

They way it is going the Cardinals won't come close to playing 60 games.What if they finish say 25-15 and another team is 35-25?Based on wins/losses the two teams are tied, but the Cards clearly have a higher winning %.

I believe the MLB has already said that they won't force every team to get all 60 games in, and the determining factor for standings will be winning %. I don't think they've said anything about a minimum number of games, but I'd imagine they'll have STL play enough doubleheaders to get to at least 50 games (barring further outbreak issues, of course).

#97 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,558 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:21 AM

What a mess.

The bubble idea has been effective so far for the NBA and NHL

Probably every MLB team should start tightening their bubbles a few weeks before the postseason starts. I think each team has its own compliance officer now, and the league even has undercover people watching too. A virus outbreak right before the postseason should probably disqualify a team (punitively and also practically, as that team would be holding everyone else up).
  • SkyBlueWaters likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#98 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,347 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:40 PM

If those are the records both teams would go.

#99 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,604 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:09 PM

Like all gatherings that spark transmission, always wonder what kinda of conditions the carriers end up. Do the majority show no symptoms. How many get sick that makes you absolutely miserable. Did any require hospitalization. Especially in certain age groups, like players on a baseball team or sailors on an aircraft carrier (keeping in min d that there are older people involved in each arena that you wish to protect). 

As colleges, for example, open up...do you shut down a class that has a case for two weeks, or two days.

As with baseball, the inconsistent testing, or the need to wait for results, keeps pushing closure out and out and out. I imagine beginning tests are the quick group test that you hear right awy someone has it. Then you have to do the deep nose test which takes a little longer. And then a followup on any/all exposed to that person, which takes longer still.,

• bighat likes this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#100 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,508 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 11:01 AM

Are you saying that while the Cardinals have not been playing games due to Covid infections they've still been hanging out as a group?Based on what happened to Sano and Astudillo, that seems unlikely.Furthermore, given that it's been more than 14 days since the Twins played a Cardinals team that had individuals with Covid (since the Cardinals stopped playing immediately after their series against the Twins), but have not had a single positive test, it would seem playing a team that has people with asymptomatic Covid is perhaps not nearly as fraught with danger as some may have believed.

Therefore, my initial assertion, that playing baseball games seems to not be much of an additional risk for transmission, stands.

MOD NOTE: (to everyone, not just Cap'n Piranha)

We are not experts here, so, please ... refrain from making assumptions/drawing conclusions as to how serious or not it is to play baseball with Covid. We don't know enough to draw conclusions, so, in the meant time, is better to be safe than sorry. Further, we do not want to be a voice promoting what is/is not safe for the general public, either. Wrong information and assumptions do not help with anyone's well being.

And, again ... while this discussion is somewhat related to baseball, it is straying into the general discussion topic, so please stop or take it to the Sports Bar thread. And, again, non-expert conclusions will not be tolerated ... because none of us knows what's what and likely won't until all is said and done and more research and data accumulates.

And before you reply to this mod note, don't. You may PM me instead.

So let's leave this thread to current updates only, and discussions of the season and/or disruptions to the season, and how these will play out to the end.

Thanks.

• nicksaviking and bighat like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”