Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

MLB Team affected by Covid, getting in the whole season

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 twins1095

twins1095

Ft Myers Miracle

• 307 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:55 PM

Keeping in mind that only the 60 players on their list have done anything baseball related since March. They just lost 20% of their players. And that’s the ones they KNOW are positive. Every other player and coach was exposed. Typical protocol for John Q Public when one has been in close contact to a known positive is to quarrantine for 2 weeks because exposure doesn’t always register on a test right away.

So that should put the Marlins out for two weeks IMO. OK, that’s almost 1/4 of the season. How are they going to make that up?

It’s a mess. And it was extremely predictable.

Bold prediction: MLB will shut down inside a week. The NBA probably won’t restart and I don’t see the likelihood of NFL or college football this fall. Or any college athletics for that matter. Most likely not high school either.

I will address your last line. I will say the following:

• I believe that the NBA & NHL will go on because they have effectively isolated themselves from society at great monetary cost, but also personal cost in terms of essentially removing themselves from broader society to play a game. With all of the measures in place it seems unlikely that an outbreak is likely to spread, even if there were to be a positive case somehow. It's even more unlikely as the pool of teams, individuals, and staff support for those individuals in that bubble decreases
  • If you attempt to play sports and aren't inside of a bubble, it is non-nonsensical to think that there will not be cases. If we are going to define positive cases as our barrier of playing non-bubble sports, sports will not go on. If the standard is no longer positive or non-positive cases... non-bubble sports leagues will have to create protocols in place for isolating outbreaks when they happen and be comfortable with minor-league or back-up players playing large amounts of games. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco, rdehring and jkcarew like this

#42 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:22 PM

There has been at least one case of an individual in the NBA that has broken the “bubble”. It was in the news that an NBA player was at a club with a friend, who posted a selfie.

How many others have slipped out un-noticed?
  • jud6312 and jkcarew like this

#43 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 699 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:35 PM

Keeping in mind that only the 60 players on their list have done anything baseball related since March. They just lost 20% of their players. And that’s the ones they KNOW are positive. Every other player and coach was exposed. Typical protocol for John Q Public when one has been in close contact to a known positive is to quarrantine for 2 weeks because exposure doesn’t always register on a test right away.

So that should put the Marlins out for two weeks IMO. OK, that’s almost 1/4 of the season. How are they going to make that up?

It’s a mess. And it was extremely predictable.

Bold prediction: MLB will shut down inside a week. The NBA probably won’t restart and I don’t see the likelihood of NFL or college football this fall. Or any college athletics for that matter. Most likely not high school either.

The NHL will be the last sport standing!!!! Zero confirmed cases within the last week and all teams are now within the bubble.They have completely locked down their bubble to anyone from the outside and have put in a ton of work for policies and procedures.Plus they smartly went to Canada who have less than 114,000 cases in total since the pandemic started.The US has way more deaths than they have in cases.

• Hosken Bombo Disco, JoshDungan1, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#44 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,420 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

I said something like this on some other thread, and it's not my original idea, but I think it bears repeating.

Who will decide what will take place during the pandemic? Some people think Rob Manfred is the boss, but he's not. Some people think Tony Clark is the boss, but he's not. Donald Trump is not the boss. Justin Trudeau is not the boss. Anthony Fauci is not the boss. Tim Walz is not the boss. No human being is the boss. The virus is the boss. The virus and the virus alone will decide what will happen, and the virus exists only for its own self-interest. It doesn't care one bit about anyone's entertainment, or anyone's convenience, or anyone's job, or anyone's life. If you don't bow down to the boss you will pay dearly.

• Craig Arko, PDX Twin, Platoon and 3 others like this

#45 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:58 PM

The NHL will be the last sport standing!!!! Zero confirmed cases within the last week and all teams are now within the bubble. They have completely locked down their bubble to anyone from the outside and have put in a ton of work for policies and procedures. Plus they smartly went to Canada who have less than 114,000 cases in total since the pandemic started. The US has way more deaths than they have in cases.

Canada has a smaller population than California. And while Canada has had about 4 times as many positive cases, Canada has had a slightly higher death toll. Which really doesn’t say much for Canada’s health care system.

As much of a “bubble” they think they have created, there are still gaps. Players are being fed. That means food is being prepared. Are they in the bubble? What about the people who are bringing in food shipments? They obviously aren’t in the bubble.

#46 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:44 PM

Canada has a smaller population than California. And while Canada has had about 4 times as many positive cases, Canada has had a slightly higher death toll. Which really doesn’t say much for Canada’s health care system.
As much of a “bubble” they think they have created, there are still gaps. Players are being fed. That means food is being prepared. Are they in the bubble? What about the people who are bringing in food shipments? They obviously aren’t in the bubble.

Kinda simplistic to indict Canada's health care system based on one number. Anyone from the States who trys to put shade on any other developed country's health care system has their head in the sand. Our system exists for profit and that alone, not anything to do with the health of the population. A country with our resources should be ashamed of the abomination.
  • Craig Arko, Hosken Bombo Disco, DocBauer and 5 others like this

#47 stdress

stdress

Elizabethton Twins

• 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:33 PM

I said something like this on some other thread, and it's not my original idea, but I think it bears repeating.

Who will decide what will take place during the pandemic? Some people think Rob Manfred is the boss, but he's not. Some people think Tony Clark is the boss, but he's not. Donald Trump is not the boss. Justin Trudeau is not the boss. Anthony Fauci is not the boss. Tim Walz is not the boss. No human being is the boss. The virus is the boss. The virus and the virus alone will decide what will happen, and the virus exists only for its own self-interest. It doesn't care one bit about anyone's entertainment, or anyone's convenience, or anyone's job, or anyone's life. If you don't bow down to the boss you will pay dearly.

Yes, we know the virus is the boss (at least most of us, I hope).Those names lumped together play very different roles in our lives and serve very different interests.Just because they are not the "boss" doesn't mean they don't have impact (negative or positive).I agree with you about the scale of things.If you want to avoid the virus, you know who to ignore on that list.For me, I'll trust the doctor and our governor.  

• Hosken Bombo Disco and Nine of twelve like this

#48 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,522 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:44 PM

I just want to remind people that if you want a COVID-specific conversation, there is a thread in the Sports Bar forum to do exactly that. For this thread, as much as possible, please keep the COVID discussion related to baseball.
  • nicksaviking, Hosken Bombo Disco, bighat and 3 others like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#49 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:22 AM

Wasn’t there like a 200 page covid playbook that everyone agreed to?

Mattingly said the other day that there was no consideration to not playing Sunday, despite 10% of his roster testing positive over the preceding couple days. If there isn’t an automatic “pause” button plateau in that agreement, there sure as hell should be.
  • jud6312 likes this

#50 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:16 AM

Also, if their players’ health is the top priority (as Jeter’s statement said) shouldn’t they have at least considered not playing Sunday when 10% of their players had already tested positive?

#51 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,522 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:59 AM

By sacrificed you mean more people are dying right?

Because Deaths per million are higher in the UK - 674, Spain - 608, Italy - 581, Sweden - 564, France - 463, than they are in the USA 455.

But I think you are correct in that the Europeans haven't been in contest protest though a pandemic

Moderator Note:

I'm going to say this again ... if you want to talk about Covid, and which countries did/didn't do what ... please take it to the Sports Bar to this thread. Please keep your comments in this thread contained to Covid, AS IT RELATES TO BASEBALL. Yes, it's a fine line and it's difficult to do one without the other, but try, because we don't want this to devolve into a general Covid discussion, as we have an ongoing thread for that.

• nicksaviking and bighat like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#52 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,785 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:09 AM

Tonight's game between NYY and Philly also PPD:

#53 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,522 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:12 AM

Tonight's game between NYY and Philly also PPD:

Did they even fly into town? I'm guessing they are awaiting all test results. Or, just taking extra precautions, just in case.

• bighat likes this

#54 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,814 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:26 AM

Yikes. The Phillies haven’t announced yet whether they have some positive tests from playing against Miami.

#55 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,522 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:29 AM

Yikes. The Phillies haven’t announced yet whether they have some positive tests from playing against Miami.

Yikes is right. Hopefully the masks and distancing and being outside helped lessen the exposure to the Phillies.

#56 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,741 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:52 AM

Also, if their players’ health is the top priority (as Jeter’s statement said) shouldn’t they have at least considered not playing Sunday when 10% of their players had already tested positive?

I believe they passed the buck onto the players. They, apparently, decided to play after reaching a consensus via group text.

It definitely shouldn't be left up to competitive young men to make that decision though. I know the decision I would've made in my mid to late 20s would be way different than the ones I made even in my mid 30s.

• Hosken Bombo Disco and Nine of twelve like this

#57 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,741 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:10 AM

There has been at least one case of an individual in the NBA that has broken the “bubble”. It was in the news that an NBA player was at a club with a friend, who posted a selfie.

How many others have slipped out un-noticed?

But it was a gentleman's club with killer chicken wings. Surely that's worth popping the bubble for.

https://www.espn.com...tine-miss-games

• Nine of twelve likes this

#58 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,591 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

But it was a gentleman's club with killer chicken wings. Surely that's worth popping the bubble for.

https://www.espn.com...tine-miss-games

That is ridiculous. Any MLB player caught doing anything remotely similar to that should be given a choice:

14-day suspension, no pay, under strict quarantine; or

No quarantine, do your thing, suspended for the season.
  • jud6312 and Nine of twelve like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#59 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,741 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

That is ridiculous. Any MLB player caught doing anything remotely similar to that should be given a choice:

14-day suspension, no pay, under strict quarantine; or

No quarantine, do your thing, suspended for the season.

Agreed. The truly sad part is thatZion Williamson, who was 5 when Lou Williams made his NBA debut, was also allowed to leave the bubble to attend to family business and make it back in without incident and was only subject to a 4-day quarantine, rather than the 10 days Williams got.

Long-term I'm interested to see if the bubble approach works better or if the results of "normal," but without fans are similar.

#60 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,814 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:24 PM

The Marlins season has been temporarily paused. The Phillies were potentially exposed to this on Sunday. Shouldn’t they have to isolate for a week or more before they can resume play?
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this