Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Marlins: 14 positive Covid cases, home opener cancelled & more

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,473 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:43 PM

Looks like the Phillies are scratched until Friday, at the least. Marlins and Phillies opponents to play each other instead of the two quarantined teams.
  • Craig Arko and bighat like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#62 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 473 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:58 PM

And then there is Juan Soto with 6 negative tests since he was tested positive but still can't play because no 2 of those tests were back to back.

• Danchat likes this

#63 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,045 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:55 PM

But it was a gentleman's club with killer chicken wings. Surely that's worth popping the bubble for.

https://www.espn.com...tine-miss-games

I definitely get the sarc.

#64 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:07 PM

Two Phillies’ staff members and a clubhouse attendant have tested positive. The Phillies won’t play until at least Monday. Likely longer if others return positive tests by then. Miami’s mayor is recommending that the Marlins be quarrantined for a full two weeks.

Less than a week in and two teams are on indefinite hold. Seriously, there is no chance MLB completes it’s season.

https://www.yahoo.co...-180301099.html

#65 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,690 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:13 PM

Two Phillies’ staff members and a clubhouse attendant have tested positive. The Phillies won’t play until at least Monday. Likely longer if others return positive tests by then. Miami’s mayor is recommending that the Marlins be quarrantined for a full two weeks.

Less than a week in and two teams are on indefinite hold. Seriously, there is no chance MLB completes it’s season.

https://www.yahoo.co...-180301099.html

I actually view this differently... that the biggest screw-up franchise in baseball has been burned and now the rest of baseball will act differently.

What I most worry about is the bad franchises like the Marlins, Tigers, Orioles, Pirates, etc. just give up and start acting like clowns.

But step back and think about whether a franchise like the Yankees would become infected.

They won't, because they're professional about their job.

I think the Yankees, Twins, Dodgers, Atlanta, Cleveland, Cardinals, etc. are going to do the same thing because they monitor themselves because they WANT TO WIN.

I believe the biggest problem will come from teams that don't care anymore.

• USNMCPO likes this

#66 John Kelsey

John Kelsey

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,632 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:18 AM

I actually view this differently... that the biggest screw-up franchise in baseball has been burned and now the rest of baseball will act differently.

What I most worry about is the bad franchises like the Marlins, Tigers, Orioles, Pirates, etc. just give up and start acting like clowns.

But step back and think about whether a franchise like the Yankees would become infected.

I think the Yankees, Twins, Dodgers, Atlanta, Cleveland, Cardinals, etc. are going to do the same thing because they monitor themselves because they WANT TO WIN.

Sounds like someone on the Cardinals just tested positive. 

• Nine of twelve likes this

#67 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:32 AM

this-is-fine.0.jpg

• Vanimal46 and Nine of twelve like this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#68 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,566 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

Who wants a job driving bus? Easy money!
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#69 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,473 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

Who wants a job driving bus? Easy money!

That sounds to me like the most dangerous thing they could possibly do.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#70 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:09 PM

The problem is that some of the teams that “don’t care” are playing teams that do.
  • Platoon likes this

#71 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:12 PM

At least two positives. May not both be players. But Cardinals/Brewers tonight is postponed. I suspect it’s likely the tip of another iceberg.

#72 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,045 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

At least two positives. May not both be players. But Cardinals/Brewers tonight is postponed. I suspect it’s likely the tip of another iceberg.

It's many tips of the same iceberg. The same large, ominous iceberg that can't be avoided under MLB's faulty protocol.

#73 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:38 PM

https://www.espn.com...ing-coronavirus

#74 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,566 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:07 AM

https://www.espn.com...ing-coronavirus

Watch baseball while you’re able to...

#75 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,473 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:20 AM

I can see the league pausing for a couple weeks. The ironic thing is that the Marlins should be recovered and ready to play again pretty soon.
- J. L. Borges

#76 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,045 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:55 AM

I can see the league pausing for a couple weeks. The ironic thing is that the Marlins should be recovered and ready to play again pretty soon.

That would be about what we should expect from MLB. After months of preparation there was a breakout of positive COVID tests on the second day of the season with several more pockets showing up during the rest of the first week. Pausing for two weeks without any other changes means that three weeks from now we'll see this happening all over again. Beyond that, it means baseball well into November. It's an exercise in futility. Just say, "Sorry, we tried, it didn't work out, and we're giving up."

• Platoon likes this

#77 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:02 PM

It may not matter what MLB decides. At some point, states are going to enact travel bans from hot spot states and they won’t necessarily exempt MLB (as New York initially did).

If Washington bans travel from Texas and California for example, the only opponent they would have left would be Colorado.

Don’t think it can’t happen.
  • Platoon likes this

#78 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,598 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:34 PM

I wonder why baseball didn't try to do like four hub cities that 7-8 teams could have stayed in and played each other... We'll see how it works for the NHL and NBA, but MLB may have made a big mistake with the travel. 

They tried, but the owners were very heavy handed with it and wanted major financial concessions to do so, so the players were quick to say no.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#79 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:51 PM

And now this:

https://www.yahoo.co...-205843844.html

Also, Lorenzo Cain has had enough and is calling it a year.

https://www.espn.com...ides-opt-season

At some point, as more and more players opt out or suffer covid complications, there aren’t going to be enough good players to make games worth watching.

#80 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,198 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:05 AM

While I don’t know all the fine details that have been agreed on to resume baseball, I can tel from watching that most of those I do know of are not being followed with any consistency. 

Lots  of high 5’s. Spitting. Lack of masks. Social distancing? That must be off camera. And that’s what we can see. As for sharing a locker room, well I will leave that to your imagination. 

They may somehow muddle through this, though I highly doubt it. But no matter what, it’s not MLB, it’s simply a string of games played by talented players. There are no statistical races to track, no season long comparisons for players or teams, hell we won’t even get to see which manager gets fired first. But we may get to see which one gets sick first? 

• Nine of twelve likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!