Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Marlins: 14 positive Covid cases, home opener cancelled & more

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,487 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

It's more than just their active 30. It also means deactivating anyone who was in their clubhouse and/or dugout. Manager, coaches, trainers, clubhouse attendants. Everyone. Every. One. We are essentially at 29 teams and counting. Counting down, that is.

I'm hoping that MLB planned for this scenario. The answer: bring up the B team and get them on the field. It's really the only solution if MLB wants to have a season. They said they wanted to play ball, let's do it then.

If this were the Twins I'd say the same thing. Do what you can: Blaine Hardy's starting tomorrow. Austin Adams starts Wednesday. Nick Gordon's leading off followed by Zander Weil and Yasiel Puig's hitting cleanup if he passes the physical (pre-covid diagnosis example for Puig here).

• DocBauer, JoshDungan1, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#22 twins1095

twins1095

Ft Myers Miracle

• 261 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:48 AM

I'm hoping that MLB planned for this scenario. The answer: bring up the B team and get them on the field. It's really the only solution if MLB wants to have a season. They said they wanted to play ball, let's do it then.

If this were the Twins I'd say the same thing. Do what you can: Blaine Hardy's starting tomorrow. Austin Adams starts Wednesday. Nick Gordon's leading off followed by Zander Weil and Yasiel Puig's hitting cleanup if he passes the physical (pre-covid diagnosis example for Puig here).

I think that this is the right direction. Most outbreaks, even the Marlins, should be caught relatively early. That is, I think it's 11 Marlins players that have been infected. This seems like relative worst case for catching a spreading outbreak.

It seems like you could remove the positive guys for 15 days, monitor the non-positives for ~3/4/5 days, and call up the B squad. Cancel that days game and make it a double header and cancel the game before the non-positives come back and make that a double header.

You could probably get by with the non-positives only missing ~2 games and then effectively having the non-positive guys out for 2 weeks or so. 

It seems like that could work and still have some semblance of competitive baseball. 

• DocBauer, JoshDungan1, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#23 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,608 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

I wonder why baseball didn't try to do like four hub cities that 7-8 teams could have stayed in and played each other... We'll see how it works for the NHL and NBA, but MLB may have made a big mistake with the travel. 

• JoshDungan1, SF Twins Fan and jud6312 like this

#24 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 843 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:20 PM

Covid creates big problems for a sport played every day. Any player/coach/employee exposed to the virus yesterday or Saturday may not test positive for another 2-5 days. 

My bet is the entire Marlins series will be cancelled. 

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, Platoon and 4 others like this

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,558 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:28 PM

Why? They didn't bother doing that last year.

tenor.gif

• USNMCPO, Platoon, JoshDungan1 and 7 others like this

Junk is stuff we throw away.Stuff is junk we keep.-- George Carlin

#26 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,854 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:42 PM

We’re 3 days in. This is an exhibition season...and was always destined to be such. By the end of the season...and in the history books, this will be like 1944...only more so. Nothing that happens this year will be taken seriously in retrospect. That is, if this season actually happens. IMO, it beats no baseball. So, I’ll just enjoy games for as long as I can with no expectation that anything like a real season will come to fruition. I think anything else is a recipe for bitter disappointment.
  • birdwatcher, wabene and heresthething like this

#27 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,463 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:12 PM

And yet, somehow, the EPL just finished the season, playing 9-10 games per team over about 6 weeks, in home stadiums (no fans), without sequestering the players. Few if any virus issues. Maybe there's something to be said for unified leadership so that all parts of the country are in similar circumstances.

• SQUIRREL, DocBauer, Don Walcott and 2 others like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#28 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,854 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:21 PM

Anyone else find it ironic that the NBA has gone all-in....on Florida!? No, problem really...just don't leave your hotel room (or invite anyone to your hotel room) for a couple of months.

About how many NBA players really don't want to do this?...probably right around 90%, I'm guessing.

#29 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,554 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:27 PM

Anyone else find it ironic that the NBA has gone all-in....on Florida!? No, problem really...just don't leave your hotel room (or invite anyone to your hotel room) for a couple of months.

About how many NBA players really don't want to do this?...probably right around 90%, I'm guessing.

I was skeptical about the bubble but that has shown to be the most effective way to contain spreading of the virus. The players don’t have much of a life beyond the 4 walls of their hotel room and the basketball court. But hey, they’re in good shape to finish out their season.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco and DocBauer like this

#30 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,463 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:30 PM

https://www.washingt...sted-four-days/

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#31 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 767 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:41 PM

Here in the UK the English Premier League played out the season for like 6 or 7 weeks and not a single player caught the virus and there's been no bubble, in fact there's basically no social distancing at all even on the sidelines. I don't understand how this can't be worked out in baseball where there's significantly less contact between players
  • DocBauer, PDX Twin, JoshDungan1 and 3 others like this

#32 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,554 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:48 PM

Here in the UK the English Premier League played out the season for like 6 or 7 weeks and not a single player caught the virus and there's been no bubble, in fact there's basically no social distancing at all even on the sidelines. I don't understand how this can't be worked out in baseball where there's significantly less contact between players

Europeans sacrificed a hell of a lot more than we did in America. You waited until the spread was contained and declining before allowing sports to return. We’re throwing caution to the wind by trying to play as cases continue to increase.
  • DocBauer, Platoon, JoshDungan1 and 5 others like this

#33 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 767 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:58 PM

Europeans sacrificed a hell of a lot more than we did in America. You waited until the spread was contained and declining before allowing sports to return. We’re throwing caution to the wind by trying to play as cases continue to increase.

Yeah, I'm not sure the dynamics in the states, I basically only see stuff on Facebook. I do know that we locked down later than you guys and masks really weren't a thing until a few days ago. However I do know that the British are much more compliant and polite about things than Americans are so that probably plays a big part plus we don't have a/c here and apparently that aides in spreading it so that could be a factor as well. Overall I haven't seen a huge difference in policy here vs the states, it's just as convoluted and ambiguous as what you guys are getting, the difference seems to be the overall attitude. Although I'll tell you, in my town it seems like there's very little social distancing happening at all so who knows, maybe it really is the A/C thing
  • Vanimal46 and jkcarew like this

#34 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,287 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:02 PM

They have to cancel those games until they can make the facilities safe for the next teams.Of all the teams the Marlins are the most logical (Rays next) since they are the hotbed for infection.

But of course the team that may be the worst in the league takes down the season - I know that they have 30 more players - if they are not infected - and as bad as they are does it matter which of the 60 is on the field?  

Imagine this happening in their playoffs - the Kind of World Series. 

• bighat likes this

#35 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 802 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:05 PM

Why am I not surprised that the Marlins were the ones who screwed the pooch on this?

• Don Walcott and bighat like this

#36 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,197 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

I wonder why one day someone won’t figure out that it’s not a good idea in the era of the Covid to get together in groups and share rooms with showers, and dugouts. Masks? Very few seen. No spitting? Really? Distancing? Yah right! 

The people who study this for a living keep telling us what to do. We keep not doing it. Then we are astounded when what we were told would happen, happened. 

It doesn’t have to be MLB either. MN amateur baseball is hell bent on having a state tourney this year, come hell or high Covid. On Friday the New Ulm city council decided 5-0 to refuse to allow the tourney at its two parks. The State Board is undeterred. They are looking for other sites.  It’s apparent from watching all this unfold over the months, some just either don’t get it, or just don’t care!

• SQUIRREL, mikelink45, Hosken Bombo Disco and 7 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#37 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:04 PM

Totally agree. MLB should have a "Covid Clause". If a player tests positive for Covid-19, they can be replaced without those moves counting against roster space.

IMO if the league/Marlins take decisive action they should be able to play as soon as tomorrow.

I am sure there are at least 30 professional players in the Marlins organization who do not have Covid-19. Get those guys in a safe place, test them twice, and play ball. I know it sounds heartless but for the league to work this year, this is what has to happen.

Keeping in mind that only the 60 players on their list have done anything baseball related since March. They just lost 20% of their players. And that’s the ones they KNOW are positive. Every other player and coach was exposed. Typical protocol for John Q Public when one has been in close contact to a known positive is to quarrantine for 2 weeks because exposure doesn’t always register on a test right away.

So that should put the Marlins out for two weeks IMO. OK, that’s almost 1/4 of the season. How are they going to make that up?

It’s a mess. And it was extremely predictable.

Bold prediction: MLB will shut down inside a week. The NBA probably won’t restart and I don’t see the likelihood of NFL or college football this fall. Or any college athletics for that matter. Most likely not high school either.
  • jud6312 and Nine of twelve like this

#38 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,287 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:05 PM

I wonder why one day someone won’t figure out that it’s not a good idea in the era of the Covid to get together in groups and share rooms with showers, and dugouts. Masks? Very few seen. No spitting? Really? Distancing? Yah right! 

The people who study this for a living keep telling us what to do. We keep not doing it. Then we are astounded when what we were told would happen, happened. 

It doesn’t have to be MLB either. MN amateur baseball is hell bent on having a state tourney this year, come hell or high Covid. On Friday the New Ulm city council decided 5-0 to refuse to allow the tourney at its two parks. The State Board is undeterred. They are looking for other sites.  It’s apparent from watching all this unfold over the months, some just either don’t get it, or just don’t care!

I was moved to reflect more on this 

Entry
Covid's coming
Last Update Jul 28 2020 09:11 AM

#39 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,487 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

Bold prediction: MLB will shut down inside a week. The NBA probably won’t restart and I don’t see the likelihood of NFL or college football this fall. Or any college athletics for that matter. Most likely not high school either.

I think that's a very bold prediction.

The way things have gone in the USA so far with Covid, I'd predict a slow, staggering death of all of these sports complete with protests and a lot of political bickering. Uncle Sam has way too many experts to just "shut things down". It'll be death by a thousand cuts.

• Don Walcott likes this

#40 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:36 PM

I think that's a very bold prediction.

The way things have gone in the USA so far with Covid, I'd predict a slow, staggering death of all of these sports complete with protests and a lot of political bickering. Uncle Sam has way too many experts to just "shut things down". It'll be death by a thousand cuts.

All the sports shut down in the spring with virtually no input from the government. Things were considerably better then than now.