Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Trade him , extend him ,or just let him play out the year

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

If i am terry ryan , i need to decide today if justin will progress or simply stay where he is at in his recovery
If i think he will continue to improve ,why not extend him now at a team friendly contract,say 3 years at 8 million per and an option year worth 12 million and a buy out of 1 million .That makes the contract 25 million over 3 years or 37 million over 4 years. if not do you trade him or just let him play out the year and go from there?

#2 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Why do you need to decide today? I say see what other teams will offer for him in a trade during the winter meetings and if you cant get anything worth a crap you just hold onto him let him play the year out and if he sucks you cant get his contract of the books. If he does the same as last year I think we can afford to let him go. If he does good this year you resign him to a 2-3 year deal.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm not sure Justin is going to want to sign a long term deal unless he's set on retiring here. That's just me. He's going to be expensive to extend if he's having a decent year, and I suspect he will be a nice trade piece assuming Arcia, Hicks, or Benson are doing well in AAA next year.

#4 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

I think Justin will improve on his 2012 numbers. He may not get back to an elite level, but I definitely see him improving to the point where we will want to extend him or trade him at the deadline. Either way, I don't see the logic in making the decision now.

#5 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Morneau represents the past--trade him now for the best deal possible. There are enough potential suitors that a reasonable return can be had. Posters have stated "..big year.." if so he will be hugely expensive and will undoubtably seek a WS contender (not the Twins!). If he duplicates 2012--meh, his salary should be used for more pressing needs, if he regresses...a wasted trading opportunity. Thank him for his good years, and wish him well, it's time to move on.

#6 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

We wait tell the deadline. Crazy to do anything now.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Shop him and if no good offers are returned, keep him. Then shop him again at the deadline. The Twins have enough money coming off the books where if they want to go get free agents, they can. Morneau shouldn't be holding them back so there's little reason to dump him unless the offer is good.

#8 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

I expected justin to take 3 year to fully recover, so im expecting more improvement.
Id be surprised if he didnt put up a .280+ave. with 25-29 homers, so i guess for me ,
does justin want to stay here and is he willing to give us a big discount ,team friendly contract .
But i still may be suffering from my last conccusion(3rd)

#9 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Holding onto him the full year and taking the draft pick wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either. Don't just trade him to trade him, if you don't get a good prospect back, just hold onto him

#10 Jack Torse

Jack Torse

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Parmalee needs to play, Morneau isn't going to bring much value and the Twins aren't going to be contenders. Makes zero sence keeping him but they are likely stuck with him. If you were a GM would you trade prospects/players, and pick up his 14million dollar price tag? I wouldn't. He's only an average 1st baseman now.

#11 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

johnny dakota, md and neurologist saying that it will take three years for a complete recovery. The accumulation of injuries would lead one to believe Morneau's elite status is history. OPS was projected by Bill James to be about .800. As a cost conscious organization the Twins would hope that Parmelee could provide a similar OPS at a far less cost.

#12 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

I still have to believe Boston is a potential suitor, if there is any truth to their pursuit of Mauer. Morneau, to me, is likely best kept until the trade deadline and then he must be dealt. There is no way they can just let him walk and there is no way I would offer him multiple years.

#13 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

On a personal level, I'd love to see him accept a much-lower dollar contract and retire with the Twins. Of course, I'm not sure what incentive Morneau would feel to do that, except maybe the fact that if he did, he might end up with a bronze statute at Target Field someday (let's face it, he's been one of the best Twins to wear the uniform, if not for as long as we wanted).

More realistically, he likely believes he has plenty left in the tank, and if another team is willing to throw the dice, he'll go there. If they can't get him extended, he'll be gone at the deadline.

#14 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Morneau is not going to accept a cheep deal, even if he struggles this year he will get a decent deal next year from someone. If he hits .300 and bangs 30 HR's he will get a really good long term deal next year. The Twins aren't going to extend him for a bunch of money just because it doesn't really fit their plans. I don't like trading him now though because I don't see him bringing much in return, if he is hitting .300 at the deadline he brings much more.

#15 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

One of my favorites. Very active in the community. Seems like a great human being. I hope he is fully recovered this year. I think they'll deal him at the deadline if they are out of it....
Lighten up Francis....