Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Non-tender day

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Will Drew Butera get non-tendered today? Or will he be getting a raise.
Will the Twins put the grabs on a non-tendered pitcher?
Could be some activity today.

#2 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Today's Fred Rogers Mean Mean Pride

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

I do not have the insight to answer this question. But, I can say this - without Butera being on the Twins 40 man roster, it might hurt Twins Daily as he has been a source controversial topics. My guess is he is non-tendered and is named the Twins Manager in 2014.

#3 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Will Drew Butera get non-tendered today? Or will he be getting a raise.
Will the Twins put the grabs on a non-tendered pitcher?
Could be some activity today.

While he may not get non-tendered today, he definitely won't be getting a raise. Even if Butera goes to arbitration he will make league minimum.

#4 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

My guess is he is non-tendered and is named the Twins Manager in 2014.

I believe Toby will be getting the first crack.

#5 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

My guess is he is non-tendered and is named the Twins Manager in 2014.

I believe Toby will be getting the first crack.

Damn, forgot about Toby, Maybe bench coach could be had?

#6 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;66018][quote name='GCTF'][QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;65993]My guess is he is non-tendered and is named the Twins Manager in 2014.[/QUOTE]

I believe Toby will be getting the first crack.[/QUOTE]

Damn, forgot about Toby, Maybe bench coach could be had?[/QUOTE]

Yes! It'll be like a season long playdate.

#7 Craig in MN

Craig in MN

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

I bet the Twins will end up with one non-tendered pitcher, such as Jurrjens, Lannan, or Hochevar, etc. I wouldn't be all that excited about all of them, but there are some guys that aren't embarrassing to expect to be 5th starters.

There are a number of interesting non tender candidates for relievers: Cory Wade, Clay Hensley, Kameron Loe, Jeff Karstens, probably others. Those aren't all world beaters, but they are better than Burnett, and I'd take any one of them. TR says he still wants to improve the bullpen.

TR also says he wants to improve the offense, and he just traded Span, so he'll be looking there too. I think they should look hard at Ryan Raburn. I'm not quite sold on Morneau, Parmalee, Doumit and Mauer playing everyday or Mastroiani playing often, and god help them if there is an injury to one of them. Having one more right handed hitter there would do a lot of good, and Raburn seems like a poor mans Cuddyer. He can even give them a backup option at 2nd and 3rd for some extra depth.

#8 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

[quote name='GCTF'][QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;66018][quote name='GCTF'][QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;65993]My guess is he is non-tendered and is named the Twins Manager in 2014.[/QUOTE]

Yes! It'll be like a season long playdate.[/QUOTE]

Indeed... and a playdate to remember for the ages.

#9 benhertz

benhertz

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Dan Johnson (White Sox via Coon Rapids, MN) and Ryan Sweeney (Red Sox via Cedar Rapids, Iowa) are expected to be non-tendered.

#10 Musk21

Musk21

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

TR also says he wants to improve the offense, and he just traded Span, so he'll be looking there too. I think they should look hard at Ryan Raburn. I'm not quite sold on Morneau, Parmalee, Doumit and Mauer playing everyday or Mastroiani playing often, and god help them if there is an injury to one of them. Having one more right handed hitter there would do a lot of good, and Raburn seems like a poor mans Cuddyer. He can even give them a backup option at 2nd and 3rd for some extra depth.

Jack Hannahan was just non-tendered by Cleveland. And he's one of us! I'd guess that he'll have a good chance to be that competition for Plouffe that JR has been talking about.
If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

#11 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Ian Stewart just non-tendered by the Cubs. Another LH 3B to possibly platoon with Plouffe.

#12 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Not really sure why Butera was extended a contract, or whatever the technical term is for not being non-tendered.

I wouldn't mind a Hochever or Jurjens, at least there is some talent with them, even if they haven't really panned out.

#13 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

Add Mark Reynolds and John Lannan to the list of non-tenders

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

http://districtondec...-million-worth/

Nats blogger predicts that Lannan signs with the Twins. Cheap option as a back-rotation guy. If he passes the physical, low-risk positive move.

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;66018][quote name='GCTF'][QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;65993]My guess is he is non-tendered and is named the Twins Manager in 2014.[/QUOTE]

This scenario cries out for Third Stooge nominations, Shemp, Joe and Curly Joe are no longer available.

#16 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Nats blogger predicts that Lannan signs with the Twins. Cheap option as a back-rotation guy. If he passes the physical, low-risk positive move.

Then we can pretend that we traded Span for Meyer AND Lannan. That should make some people happier with the trade.

#17 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

The Twins will never be a winner when the have Butera on the bench!!! lol

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

[quote name='ScottyB'][quote name='jokin'][quote name='ScottyB']Add Mark Reynolds and John Lannan to the list of non-tenders[/QUOTE]

Nats blogger predicts that Lannan signs with the Twins. Cheap option as a back-rotation guy. If he passes the physical, low-risk positive move.[/QUOTE]

Then we can pretend that we traded Span for Meyer AND Lannan. That should make some people happier with the trade.[/QUOTE]

Who doesn't love when a glass goes from half-empty to half-full. If this somehow works out, it wouldn't hurt in ridding some of the residual bad vibes from the Matt Capps/Nats debacle, either.

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

I HATE John Lannan. Seriously, the Braves acquired a power arm today, had a press conference to announce BJ Upton, but the best news of the day is no longer facing Lannan 3-7 times per year. He is like Braves kryptonite. For his career, he's a 4.01 ERA and 4.7 K/9 guy. Against the Braves for his career, he's a 3.20 WHIP and 5.8 K/9 guy. It's ridiculous.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#20 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,519 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

[quote name='ScottyB'][quote name='jokin'][quote name='ScottyB']Add Mark Reynolds and John Lannan to the list of non-tenders[/QUOTE]

Nats blogger predicts that Lannan signs with the Twins. Cheap option as a back-rotation guy. If he passes the physical, low-risk positive move.[/QUOTE]

Then we can pretend that we traded Span for Meyer AND Lannan. That should make some people happier with the trade.[/QUOTE]

Lol... That's funny.

Seriously... The Twins obviously didn't want to pay the 5 million or so that Lannan would have gotten. Neither did the Nats. Cuz he would have been any easy throw in otherwise with the Nats tossing him aside... It'll be interesting to see what he ends up signing for.

#21 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Staying off the list was Alexi Casilla, who agreed to a $1.7m deal with a $3m option for next year ($200K b/o).

#22 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Staying off the list was Alexi Casilla, who agreed to a $1.7m deal with a $3m option for next year ($200K b/o).

I posted the info previously in its own thread. Potentially 5 ex-Twins on the Birds does strike me as confoundingly and oddly interesting. It opens the potential at some time in-season of an all-ex-Twin infield for a team that won 93 games in 2012.

#23 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Lannen, Karstens, and Ian Steward interest me. Most of them will be cheap.

#24 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Yeah, I couldn't believe the Alexi thing.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#25 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Right down to the wire...
dang!