Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

MLB expands the postseason to 16 teams with three game playoffs

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,885 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:11 PM

It’s not about overlooking anyone, the problem is the randomness of baseball.

The best teams in baseball should not be forced to roll the dice on three games in a sport where those best teams win only 65% of their games.

If there were randomness then the Twins would have won one series against the Yankees.

• #1ShaneMackFan likes this

#22 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,791 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:18 PM

Agree, an absolute joke. Everything about this season is eye roll-worthy. Half the teams make the playoffs and there's a 3-game series right off the bat?

At this point in a 60-game season it really doesn't even matter. This is essentially just expanded Spring Training, an exhibition, nothing about it feels real.

The only way I can tell this season is real is that Buxton isn't in the starting lineup on opening day. So at least we don't have to pinch ourselves - it's real alright.

#23 Teflon

Teflon

"That" Guy

• 606 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:59 PM

1. Eliminate the regular season.
  2. All 30 teams qualify for the playoffs
  3. Round 1 is a 162 game round-robin weighted towards league and divisional match-ups.
  4. At the end of Round 1, the team with the most wins in each league advances to Round 2
  5. Round 2 is a best of seven series
  • Hosken Bombo Disco and Nine of twelve like this

#24 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,536 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:00 PM

If given ten chances, the Orioles could beat the Dodgers two games out of three and advance one or two times.

This is embarrassing.

The only legitimacy of this season was the postseason; that the best teams would have to win 5-7 game series and advance, just like they do EVERY SEASON.

They've taken all that away.

If given one chance, the Orioles could beat the Dodgers two games out of three and advance.The whole point of sports is you have to prove it on the field, and in a sport like baseball, where even in a normal year no team plays every other team, you have to have a tournament.Otherwise a great team from a lousy division could cruise to a regular season pennant over "superior" teams in tougher divisions.If you believe the regular season is an accurate barometer of relative team quality, then there's no need for any postseason.At all.

#25 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,536 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:03 PM

So The Twins will be playing at Target Field in mid-November??? Hope for an Indian Summer (Can we still call it that?)

This format adds 3 games that take place over 5 days, with the opening round completed no later than October 2 (at least this year).How do you figure it will take baseball 35 days to play a maximum of 19 games?Even if it did, that's still November 6--I don't think you can call a date mid-month if it's within the first week of the month.

#26 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,536 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:08 PM

Wow! Hate this 100 times over!

I never liked the WC 1 game scenario. I've always thought a 2 of 3 game scenario made more sense.

But now a money grab situation similar to the expanded NBA format where barely .500 teams make the playoffs?

Sorry, but this stinks of not only $ but a bias to the coasts, IMO. And since this is a money grab, I blame both sides.

Couldn't they just keep the standard format and make the WC a 2 out of 3?

I will watch and I will enjoy and I will root. And I will end up seeing some 31 win team advance and knock someone out and see the asterisks nobody wanted to see for 2020 grow larger.

In case you hadn't realized, the sole purpose of professional sports is to make as much money as possible.If you want money out of the sports you consume, you'll probably need to drop down to high school, if not further.

• DocBauer likes this

#27 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,064 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

If given ten chances, the Orioles could beat the Dodgers two games out of three and advance one or two times.

This is embarrassing.

The only legitimacy of this season was the postseason; that the best teams would have to win 5-7 game series and advance, just like they do EVERY SEASON.

They've taken all that away.

The 87 Twins should have their WS trophy taken from them, amiright?

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:35 PM

They had to win eight games, not two.

The Yankees lost a series against both the Tigers and Orioles last season. The baseball postseason is worse if an elite team is knocked out because they lost two games.
  • DocBauer and wsnydes like this

#29 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• 548 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

This entire argument is predicated on the randomness lasting less than 60 games.Last years World Series winner runs counter to that argument

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:04 PM

For the record, I’d be more okay with this idea if the opening series was five games.

The more games, the more likely the better team wins out.
  • Intramural Legend and wsnydes like this

#31 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,956 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:17 PM

For the record, I’d be more okay with this idea if the opening series was five games.

The more games, the more likely the better team wins out.

I don't know, the Twins have gotten embarrassed in each of their past one game, five game and seven game playoff series. Maybe a three game series is their ticket to success.

If not, I say we go back to a nine game series.

• Brock Beauchamp and wsnydes like this

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

I don't know, the Twins have gotten embarrassed in each of their past one game, five game and seven game playoff series. Maybe a three game series is their ticket to success.

If not, I say we go nine.

One upside to all of this is that it’s highly unlikely the Twins and Yankees face off in the first round. If they do, that means something went pretty wrong for one of them.
  • psturnbloom likes this

#33 #1ShaneMackFan

#1ShaneMackFan

• 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:56 PM

It’s not about overlooking anyone, the problem is the randomness of baseball.

The best teams in baseball should not be forced to roll the dice on three games in a sport where those best teams win only 65% of their games.

Then why have playoffs at all? Crown the team with the best record. 

• Nine of twelve likes this

#34 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,607 posts

On the bright side, the 88 Twins would have advanced to the ALCS :)
  • Nine of twelve likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#35 #1ShaneMackFan

#1ShaneMackFan

• 49 posts

If there were randomness then the Twins would have won one series against the Yankees.

Or even a game or two...

• The Wise One likes this

#36 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:04 PM

That’s not how randomness works. One can flip a coin 20 times and get heads every time, it’s just very unlikely to happen.

#37 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,590 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:09 PM

Gee, I can't wait to see the 27-33 New York Mets get walloped by a far superior team in the playoffs.

While I also don't like the format, this is almost verbatim the argument I heard from the Coasts about the Twins last year in reference to playing the Central (i.e. implying they were really a 27-33 team). I guess this makes it fair to those people?

#38 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,841 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:52 PM

While I also don't like the format, this is almost verbatim the argument I heard from the Coasts about the Twins last year in reference to playing the Central (i.e. implying they were really a 27-33 team). I guess this makes it fair to those people?

The Twins still played the AL East, West, and NL East... we were 40 games above .500! It's not like we barely crawled in 10 games above .500 or anything.

• DocBauer and Shaitan like this

#39 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:01 PM

Or even a game or two...

Actually, an indication of randomness is that the Twins *haven't* won a postseason game against the Yankees in a time period spanning three managers and dozens of different players.

The odds of that happening are very low, which is why the Twins currently hold an MLB record for postseason ineptitude against a single team.

#40 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,759 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

I like watching meaningful baseball games. I will be watching.