Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Least Favorite Twins Announcer

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,178 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

My least favorite is probably Latroy or Justin, but they all do a descent job. It's kinda nice the way they mix things up and have someone different rotating with Dick Bremer.Have any of you ever watched a KC royals broadcast? At least we don't have to endure listening to Rex Hudler. He has to be the worst broadcast partner in all of baseball.

And Rex's boisterous rambling does not fit well with Lefebvre's low-key approach.

As far as Twins announcers, in order I like:

Bert, Jack, Hawkins, Smalley, Morneau,Hunter

I think Morneau has the most room for improvement but I prefer Bert's sarcasm and humor and Jack's angry old man routine.

BTW, we all love Kaat but he basically says the same things as Bert and Morris. He just says it in a kind grandfatherly way.

• Huskertwin, CharlieDee and shortround81 like this

#22 TouchEmAllGuy

TouchEmAllGuy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 106 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 12:17 PM

Not a Smalley fan at all. I tend to listen to the radio and watch on tv (even with the tv delay) when he is announcing.

• lecroy24fan and shortround81 like this

#23 Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 79 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 23 July 2020 - 12:36 PM

Smalley is brutal. It's not that he doesn't know what he's talking about, it's that he can't vocalize it. He's just not good at speaking, which is kind of important for an announcer. I'd sit and talk baseball with him any day, he just doesn't have the knack for getting what's in his head out to the viewer with any semblance of coherence.

Also try making it through a broadcast, or inning, or at bat without saying "big end of the bat."

• lecroy24fan, TouchEmAllGuy and shortround81 like this

#24 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 523 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:34 PM

Their all fine but after hearing each one for hundreds of games the commentary becomes stale. 

Hawkins has been refreshing, Morneau has improved.

I hope we still get Jim Kaat for some games in the next couple years.

• dcswede likes this

#25 Wizard11

Wizard11

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 69 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:36 PM

My vote would be for LaTroy Hawkins.  He seems to understand entertainment as well as baseball.  To me he brings a fresh perspective and does not lean on old yarns and outdated baseball philosophy.  To me by far the worst is Smalley.  I have to mute him when is sharing his smug and often dreary commentary.  His style reminds me of Joe Morgan.  Boring know it alls.  Blech 

• lecroy24fan likes this

#26 carewser

carewser

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:41 PM

I like their TV people, and I enjoy the variety, although Bert could work a bit harder at keeping up with today’s game of baseball. Last year, during a broadcast, he asked Bremer what OPS was. Come on Bert, do a little homework. 

But my least favorite announcer is Mr. Gladden on the radio- only because they let him do play by play. I like him as an analyst, but the man’s command of the English language is nowhere near sufficient to enable him to successfully describe live action to a radio audience. He’s awful at that. 

Cory Provus is outstanding, but if he needs a three inning break, then I’d vote for a new female play by play person- it’s about time- and keep Gladden in the sidekick chair.

• SQUIRREL, DocBauer, labcrazy and 1 other like this

#27 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 124 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:46 PM

Wow. I've done a 180 on Smalley and really like him to be honest. Next time you hear him "ramble", listen to what he's saying. I think he's really insightful and knows what he's talking about. I think the guy could have been a coach, frankly.

Morneau is good but overrated on this board (understandably so, as he was one of everyone's favorite all-time Twins). He's got a history of being VERY "folksy" which I know goes over well with the Midwest crowd but I hope he takes a step forward this year and develops a little edge.

Bremer is Bremer. You know what I like most about him? He doesn't showboat. There are so many broadcasters out there who are acting like we're watching the game to hear them call the game - rather than to watch the team play. These guys and their signature calls, I can't stand the guy in DC who does the "See You Later" thing, it's just so unimaginative. Bremer gets out of the way and I think that's how it should be done.

I actually like Bert also! He does have a bit of an edge and a crass/sarcastic side. I think he feels a little hurt/bitter that he's not the main draw any more, which started when the network nixed his "Circle Me Bert" feature which pissed him off. I think you can hear that bitterness in some of his work these days. But when things are going well, and Bert's happy, he's as fun as they get.

Roy's knowledge and experience are great. His way of speaking is not. He does ramble and thats bad for any form of public speaking. If he could word what he was trying to say in a concise way and get it over with before the next at bat..that would be great. But he doesn't. He is still rambling about a past play after the next batter is up and swinging..every, time. 

• bighat likes this

#28 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,037 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:04 PM

But my least favorite announcer is Mr. Gladden on the radio- only because they let him do play by play. I like him as an analyst, but the man’s command of the English language is nowhere near sufficient to enable him to successfully describe live action to a radio audience. He’s awful at that. 

Cory Provus is outstanding, but if he needs a three inning break, then I’d vote for a new female play by play person- it’s about time- and keep Gladden in the sidekick chair.

This topic has been discussed on this website many, many times, but I'll say again that Gladden is the one who is most likely to make me yell at the radio/TV. His understanding of the game and the stories he can tell, which are his strengths, would lend themselves better to working TV than radio. Working radio requires painting a picture of the action on the field with words and he is utterly incapable of doing so.

Moreover, someone who has been involved with professional baseball for over 40 years ought to be able to pronounce Hispanic names correctly. He is an abject failure at that as well.

• carewser likes this

#29 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 201 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:22 PM

Last year, during a broadcast, he asked Bremer what OPS was. Come on Bert, do a little homework. 

Really? That's nuts.And I'm an old fogey.  

Interesting discussion for me, an out-of-stater who doesn't hear or see the broadcasts.  

#30 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 427 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:15 PM

Nobody is commenting on the radio tandem. I’m starting to get used to Dan Gladden but still not completely on board. Before we complain too much, listen to the Royals radio guy who has a problem pronouncing the letter S when it is the first letter in a word. I think it’s intentional. Schwing and a Miss A shingle up the middle for Carlos Shantana

#31 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,658 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

I am an absolute homer and will never apologize for being such. I absolutely delight in hearing former Twins in the booth, each and every one because they all bring something different. But I absolutely have opinions and preferences.

I really enjoy Bert, for the most part. I feel pretty much everything he says is smart and sound, but I do think it's a bit like a record that's had a needle run through one too many times. What fascinates me...and I really enjoy...is when there is a 3rd person in the booth. Bert seems to come alive and shift gears and I really enjoy that.

Smalley is very smart. I enjoy what he says and brings. But he just needs to say it and stop talking over himself.

I really like Morneau a lot, but he just needs to have a little more fun, change his pitch a little, not be afraid to be a little more entertaining.

Love Hawk and Hunter both, but they are the opposite of Smalley and Justin, IMO. I love their fun, but reign it in a bit here and there and talk the game with a little less humor.

Been a while now, but really enjoyed Thome in the booth. I just thought he bad a nice blend of fun and professionalism both.

On the radio side, with no apologies, I love Gladden. I was worried initially when Gordon retired....circumstances have made me a radio guy for most of my life until the internet brought game streaming...but he and Corey work very well together. (Sorry, but a moment of silence for Herb who was the ABSOLUTE BEST)! But Dan just isn't a play by play guy. I'll listen, of course, but Chris or SOMEBODY just needs to carry those middle innings and let Gladden do what he does best.
  • dcswede, labcrazy and bighat like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#32 peterb18

peterb18

• 156 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:25 PM

I like Bert as he lends to some humor, etc. Morneau is probably the most boring, especially with that soft monotone voice. I have to turn the sound down very low as then his voice is just background grumbling. And he never stops talking like we don’t understand the game. He was a great player but certainly not a high quality Announcer. You would think that they(the producers,etc.) would give him some prospective on his role.

• Jeff_M and wombat28 like this

#33 psturnbloom

psturnbloom

Elizabethton Twins

• 35 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:28 AM

Jack Morris, followed closely by Bert

• AlwaysinModeration likes this

#34 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,037 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:07 AM

(Sorry, but a moment of silence for Herb who was the ABSOLUTE BEST)! 

There was no one better. I will allow that Vin Scully was probably as good as Herb, though.

• DocBauer, labcrazy and shortround81 like this

#35 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,782 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:20 AM

I may be alone on this one, but man, is it tough to listen to Roy Smalley stutter his way through a game. He makes me want to listen to Monotone Justin Morneau.

Your not alone, to much stuttering, he lets his Brain get ahead of the moment, and cant seem to adjust on the fly,

• shortround81 likes this

#36 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,690 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:39 AM

There was no one better. I will allow that Vin Scully was probably as good as Herb, though.

I heard a lot of Carneal growing up but once I moved to LA and heard Vin on a regular basis, I realized how there was a level of announcing beyond anything I’d heard before and haven’t heard since.

Vin Scully was the greatest announcer in the history of sport, full stop.
  • peterb18, DocBauer, Rigby and 2 others like this

#37 shortround81

shortround81

Elizabethton Twins

• 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:20 PM

I heard a lot of Carneal growing up but once I moved to LA and heard Vin on a regular basis, I realized how there was a level of announcing beyond anything I’d heard before and haven’t heard since.

Vin Scully was the greatest announcer in the history of sport, full stop.

Quasi-UNrelated and I've never heard him announce a game outside of the movies, but I just heard that Bob Uecker will be celebrating his 50th year of broadcasting at the age of 86!

• Craig Arko likes this

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." -Pete Rose

#38 a-wan

a-wan

• 208 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:29 PM

Pretty sure the next time Bert does any prep will be the first time in the past decade.

• SQUIRREL, Nine of twelve, carewser and 1 other like this

#39 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,226 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:23 AM

My favorite is Hunter, Bert, Kaat, Morneau, Latroy, Smalley, Morris.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#40 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,710 posts
  • LocationSilver Bay, Minnesota

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

Can't stand Bert.I like Morneau the best, he knows the game and predicts what pitch is coming next.

he gone!