Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Least Favorite Twins Announcer

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 shortround81

shortround81

Elizabethton Twins

• 23 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

I may be alone on this one, but man, is it tough to listen to Roy Smalley stutter his way through a game. He makes me want to listen to Monotone Justin Morneau.
  • lecroy24fan, peterb18, Ebby Calvin Laloosh and 1 other like this

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." -Pete Rose

#2 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 208 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:23 PM

Bert is by far my least favorite, his shtick gets old quick and the game has passed him wayyyy by.  

I think in general baseball announcing could use a massive overhaul.Get some newer age voices in that can relate to whats going on on the field.   

• blindeke, kenbuddha, JoshDungan1 and 1 other like this

#3 nclahammer

nclahammer

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 137 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:07 AM

I do not have a least favorite Twin's announcer.I like that each of Dick Bremer's sidekicks has their own style or approach to how they provide commentary during the game. I like the variety they bring to the booth and their own way of sharing their expertise.

• SQUIRREL, Jerr, dcswede and 12 others like this

#4 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,570 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:34 AM

Wow. I've done a 180 on Smalley and really like him to be honest. Next time you hear him "ramble", listen to what he's saying. I think he's really insightful and knows what he's talking about. I think the guy could have been a coach, frankly.

Morneau is good but overrated on this board (understandably so, as he was one of everyone's favorite all-time Twins). He's got a history of being VERY "folksy" which I know goes over well with the Midwest crowd but I hope he takes a step forward this year and develops a little edge.

Bremer is Bremer. You know what I like most about him? He doesn't showboat. There are so many broadcasters out there who are acting like we're watching the game to hear them call the game - rather than to watch the team play. These guys and their signature calls, I can't stand the guy in DC who does the "See You Later" thing, it's just so unimaginative. Bremer gets out of the way and I think that's how it should be done.

I actually like Bert also! He does have a bit of an edge and a crass/sarcastic side. I think he feels a little hurt/bitter that he's not the main draw any more, which started when the network nixed his "Circle Me Bert" feature which pissed him off. I think you can hear that bitterness in some of his work these days. But when things are going well, and Bert's happy, he's as fun as they get.

• dcswede, 70charger, DocBauer and 8 others like this

#5 Tovar12

Tovar12

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 60 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:19 AM

This has probably been discussed here in the past, but why did the network get rid of the "Circle me Bert" bit?

• peterb18, bighat and shortround81 like this

#6 wombat28

wombat28

Elizabethton Twins

• 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:19 AM

I have a strong opinion on this topic, mainly because my wife and I have been watching almost every televised Twins game for many years. I think we all agree Dick is very good at what he does and is one of the best in the business. This topic though is about his "sidekicks". Without a doubt, Bert is our favorite. His pitching knowledge combined with his sense of humor and relationship with Dick make for "our" favorite tandem. On the other hand, although a very nice young man, Morneau is by far the worst of any of the many new sidekicks Dick has worked with. An earlier post mentioned "Monotone Morneau". That is what my wife and I call him. Monotone but also he talks and talks and talks....... He needs to listen to himself and learn he is there for some commentary, not non-stop commentary. We had started to mute the tv toward the end of last season. As for some of the others, I like Smalley a lot, my wife not so much. TK and Jack Morris would be next in line, followed by LaTroy Hawkins and Torii Hunter. 

• peterb18, DocBauer and MN_ExPat like this

#7 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,904 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

I don't think I would care to hear any of them every game.I missed Marnie's games so will go with Morneau, Hawkins, Bert, Smalley, Morris, TK and Hunter in that order. I like Bremer. I just wish he would pause that extra second so he doesn't get me excited about fly balls that don't even make it to the warning track.

• Nine of twelve and shortround81 like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#8 shortround81

shortround81

Elizabethton Twins

• 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:37 AM

Wow. I've done a 180 on Smalley and really like him to be honest. Next time you hear him "ramble", listen to what he's saying. I think he's really insightful and knows what he's talking about. I think the guy could have been a coach, frankly.

Morneau is good but overrated on this board (understandably so, as he was one of everyone's favorite all-time Twins). He's got a history of being VERY "folksy" which I know goes over well with the Midwest crowd but I hope he takes a step forward this year and develops a little edge.

Bremer is Bremer. You know what I like most about him? He doesn't showboat. There are so many broadcasters out there who are acting like we're watching the game to hear them call the game - rather than to watch the team play. These guys and their signature calls, I can't stand the guy in DC who does the "See You Later" thing, it's just so unimaginative. Bremer gets out of the way and I think that's how it should be done.

I actually like Bert also! He does have a bit of an edge and a crass/sarcastic side. I think he feels a little hurt/bitter that he's not the main draw any more, which started when the network nixed his "Circle Me Bert" feature which pissed him off. I think you can hear that bitterness in some of his work these days. But when things are going well, and Bert's happy, he's as fun as they get.

I have no problem with Roy's content. I struggle listening him stammer his way through his thoughts. Could I do better? No, but I'm also not in broadcasting. It's like what they teach you in public speaking classes. It's better to pause for a moment than it is to trip over your words.

I like Justin's insider info, but he's soooooooo monotone. Maybe I'm just used to his playing days when Joe Mauer made him look like Bobcat Goldthwait. 

• Tovar12, bighat and Jeff_M like this

#9 shortround81

shortround81

Elizabethton Twins

• 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:40 AM

This has probably been discussed here in the past, but why did the network get rid of the "Circle me Bert" bit?

Also, do we know which player confronted Dick after he called him out for his quality of play? (I appreciate Dick's response of, "If you don't want criticism, play better.")

• Channing1964 likes this

#10 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,437 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:23 AM

Easily Bert, who I feel generous calling a Twins announcer, since all he does is talk about himself.

Second would be Morris. He's gotten a little better in recent years, but he's very dry and stuck in his playing days.

• jjswol, Bickle19, labcrazy and 1 other like this

#11 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,477 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:06 AM

I like each announcer and appreciate the uniqueness of each announcer, like I appreciate good food. Variety is the spice of life. Sometimes I am hungry for a thick, medium rare steak, grilled on my grill, but I don't want this every meal. I also like homemade crab cakes, a fresh garden salad, bacon and eggs and chocolate milkshakes. I like a variety. Each of the Twins secondary announcers has his/her unique perspective to share. I enjoy them all. Dick Bremer is a wonderful announcer and, after reading his book, "Game Used. My Life in Stitches with the Minnesota Twins", I can tell you that he is my all time favorite announcer in any sport. He is really a good man. He is someone I would enjoy having as a next door neighbor and as a friend. I highly recommend his fascinating and up-lifting book.

• DocBauer, Tovar12 and Jeff_M like this

#12 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 514 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:33 AM

Whoever it is and whatever announcers for whatever network or team, I wish they wouldn't feel like they have to make continuous chatter no matter how irrelevant or nonsensical. Today's so called communications experts seem to think that any silence is like the plague. Sometimes they get so wrapped up in what they think are stories for the ages that they actually ignore the action on the field. Just call the game and don't feel like every pitch has to be analyzed or some topic explored having nothing to do with the game simply to make noise.

#13 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,570 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

Second would be Morris. He's gotten a little better in recent years, but he's very dry and stuck in his playing days.

Morris does Tigers broadcasts as well and you can kinda tell he's a bit more of a Tiger fan than a Twins fan.

• blindeke, JoshDungan1, Huskertwin and 1 other like this

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,570 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:48 AM

Looked at various sources. Here was the announcement: "We’re launching a new @mnlottery “Winners Circle” concept so fans at the ballpark AND watching at home can get involved! Signs are still encouraged."

Essentially the MN Lottery wanted ALL of the broadcasters to get involved in the whole "circle me" schtick. The MN Lottery wanted to capitalize/expand on the popularity of the whole thing and they got greedy. They then muffed the explanation and told Bert that "Circle Me Bert" was done, and Bert got hurt and started tweeting about it.

THEN the Twins/MN Lottery tried to walk-back its statement, saying: "We assert that the new 'Winner's Circle' is in addition to 'Circle Me Bert'," and that the two concepts together would involve even more Twins fans who bring signs.

Then Bert had to Tweet an apology, basically saying that he misunderstood the whole deal, but at that point it felt like the damage was done.

In short, Bert's little organic schtick got gobbled up by corporate greed to sell lottery tickets, they muffed the announcement, pissed everyone off, and it basically died.

• Jerr, DocBauer, Tovar12 and 2 others like this

#15 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,695 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

I like each announcer and appreciate the uniqueness of each announcer, like I appreciate good food. Variety is the spice of life. Sometimes I am hungry for a thick, medium rare steak, grilled on my grill, but I don't want this every meal. I also like homemade crab cakes, a fresh garden salad, bacon and eggs and chocolate milkshakes. I like a variety. Each of the Twins secondary announcers has his/her unique perspective to share. I enjoy them all. Dick Bremer is a wonderful announcer and, after reading his book, "Game Used. My Life in Stitches with the Minnesota Twins", I can tell you that he is my all time favorite announcer in any sport. He is really a good man. He is someone I would enjoy having as a next door neighbor and as a friend. I highly recommend his fascinating and up-lifting book.

I'm sure this post has good insights, but I had to stop and clean the drool off my keyboard after you said "homemade crab cakes"...

• DocBauer and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#16 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,368 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

I don't really have a least favorite. Being out of state I listen to a lot of different announcers because it's usually the 'home team' feed for whatever city the Twins are in. I think being able to listen to variety lessens the monotony of having to listen to the same ones over and over. Variety IS the spice of life, you know! :)

And when you hear worse, you are happy to come back to the regulars ... and when you hear better, you wish 'Why can't we have that!?' So ... it all balances out to ... no more least favorite.

And, for years I was 'forced' to listen to Harrelson with games vs Chicago ... nothing and no one is worse than that, so that really made me appreciate whatever and whoever the Twins had. ;)

• DocBauer, bighat, Nine of twelve and 2 others like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#17 Greglw3

Greglw3

Elizabethton Twins

• 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:40 AM

I may be alone on this one, but man, is it tough to listen to Roy Smalley stutter his way through a game. He makes me want to listen to Monotone Justin Morneau.

Just to show much diversity there might be on this, Roy Smalley is my favorite announcer pairing with Dick Bremer. When I watch him, I feel like I get an unparalleled education in the intricacies and strategies of the game of baseball. Perhaps no coincidence that Smalley is the nephew of perhaps the greatest tactician as a manager I ever saw in Gene Mauch. I think Roy is most "in the zone" talking about the game and providing relevant insights. Maybe a tad comes from his being on some of those great 70’s hitting teams that I enjoyed so much and his excellence as a player. I like a lot of Dick’s sidekicks, really but Smalley is my fave....it’s really a talented group!!!

• dcswede, 70charger, DocBauer and 6 others like this

#18 shortround81

shortround81

Elizabethton Twins

• 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:59 AM

Can we all just agree that Joe Buck is the Nickelback of sports broadcasting??

• bighat, Huskertwin and Jeff_M like this

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,690 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:05 AM

Bert, and it's not close.

• peterb18, Bickle19, RaoulDuke and 1 other like this

#20 CharlieDee

CharlieDee

Elizabethton Twins

• 31 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:51 AM

My least favorite is probably Latroy or Justin, but they all do a descent job. It's kinda nice the way they mix things up and have someone different rotating with Dick Bremer.Have any of you ever watched a KC royals broadcast? At least we don't have to endure listening to Rex Hudler. He has to be the worst broadcast partner in all of baseball.

• notoriousgod71, Huskertwin, Jeff_M and 1 other like this