Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

How to watch the Twins in 2020

mlb.tv youtube fox sports blackouts
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spycake

spycake

• 17,739 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:36 PM

How to watch the Twins in 2020

(Besides being 6 feet away from anyone and wearing a mask.:) )

This post is about streaming video. There are a lot of options now for cord-cutters (those without cable/satellite TV service). I will limit this post and its discussion to legal methods, though -- feel free to private message me otherwise.

First and foremost, you should know if you are in the Twins TV market or not. This will determine MLB.TV blackout policy. Enter your zip code at this link to check:

https://www.mlb.com/...ut-restrictions

The Twins local blackout areas are all of Minnesota, Iowa, and both Dakotas, plus parts of east-central Wisconsin.

Outside the Twins TV market:

Get MLB.TV! You'll only be blacked out of the national TV games (only 2 on the Twins regular season schedule right now) and any games where the Twins play the team in your local market. (You may be able to temporarily subscribe to one of the services below, with a free trial even, to fill in those gaps. Or listen to the radio streams, which are not subject to blackout.)

MLB.TV is $60 for this short season, less 35% if you are student or military -- or better yet, free if you are a T-Mobile customer (or know a T-Mobile customer!) through August 3rd:

https://www.t-mobile.com/mlb

Inside the Twins TV market:

A couple years ago, there were 6 streaming services that carried Fox Sports North. Now we're down to 3: Hulu Live TV, YouTube TV, and AT&T TV Now. (Although a few years before that, there were zero, so it could be worse!)

Hulu Live TV: Currently the cheapest and most widely available way to get Fox Sports North in the Twins TV market is through Hulu Live TV at $55 per month. It looks like they cover pretty much the entire Twins MLB.TV blackout area. You can verify that Hulu Live TV will carry FSN for you by entering your ZIP code here:

https://www.hulu.com...-tv#allchannels

YouTube TV: Some folks prefer YouTube TV although its price recently jumped to $65 per month, and it no longer carries FSN in Iowa. You can enter your zip code here to check:

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

AT&T TV Now: Finally, there's AT&T TV Now, which is $80 per month and again doesn't seem to offer FSN in Iowa. At that price, I won't bother linking them. :)

All 3 offer "cloud DVR" so you can record games, although Hulu Live TV charges $10 extra ("Enhanced Cloud DVR") in order to skip commercials. All 3 offer 1 week free trials for new customers. All 3 also offer national games on ESPN, FS1, and TBS, although notably Hulu Live TV does not carry MLB Network (which doesn't generally have any exclusive games in the regular season, but did have one last postseason).

In-Market wildcard: Fox Sports Go
You can't subscribe directly to it, but the Fox Sports Go website and apps allow you to sign in with a supported pay TV login and stream FSN (as long as you are in a location where that pay TV provider offers FSN). All 3 of the above pay TV services, plus many cable/satellite providers, support Fox Sports Go. This is especially useful as these pay TV providers limit how many devices/locations can watch simultaneously, but Fox Sports Go streams don't count against those limits.

You can see all of the supported providers and sign in to Fox Sports Go here:

https://www.foxsport...m/register#more

Summary

Use MLB.TV if you can, Hulu Live TV if you just want to watch live or you are in Iowa, YouTube TV if you want to time-shift (record the game and skip commercials), and don't be afraid to use pay TV credentials with Fox Sports Go.

Feel free to share your baseball streaming experiences in the comments.

Happy streaming!

• Parker Hageman, Sconnie and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#2 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:12 PM

We have both YouTube TV and the low cost version of Hulu (not Hulu Live). 

Outside of the time they tried to dump FSN, I've enjoyed the YouTube experience. 

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue but Hulu's $5.99 subscription will still run commercials within shows on-demand. At an annoyingly high frequency, when a commercial concludes, it will disorient the picture, enlarging the video so you only see a quarter of the pic. Then you have to back out of the show and start it again where they force you to sit through another commercial block. Maybe it's our TV or internet or whatever. Either way, it's enough for me to to say that I'd go with YouTube TV over Hulu (without having tried the Live option).

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#3 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,368 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

I don't think any of that will help me watch the game tonight, however ... 

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#4 spycake

spycake

• 17,739 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:29 PM

We have both YouTube TV and the low cost version of Hulu (not Hulu Live). 

Outside of the time they tried to dump FSN, I've enjoyed the YouTube experience. 

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue but Hulu's $5.99 subscription will still run commercials within shows on-demand. At an annoyingly high frequency, when a commercial concludes, it will disorient the picture, enlarging the video so you only see a quarter of the pic. Then you have to back out of the show and start it again where they force you to sit through another commercial block. Maybe it's our TV or internet or whatever. Either way, it's enough for me to to say that I'd go with YouTube TV over Hulu (without having tried the Live option).

That's a good point. And I just realized that Hulu Live TV doesn't let you skip commercials in DVR recordings either, unless you pay $10 for "Enhanced Cloud DVR", at which point it is the same price as YouTube TV. So I updated my original post. (At least the DVR commercials shouldn't mess up your screen like they do in the on-demand content -- they should just be the same commercials that were in the original broadcast.)

#5 spycake

spycake

• 17,739 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:32 PM

I don't think any of that will help me watch the game tonight, however ...

Hulu Live TV and AT&T TV Now would have it in Chicago (via the Cubs' new Marquee Sports Network). Both have free trials. :)

But it’s just one game (and it doesn’t even count!). Far more important that your TV provider has NBC Sports Chicago for Twins / White Sox games starting Friday!

#6 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,368 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:47 PM

Hulu Live TV and AT&T TV Now would have it in Chicago (via the Cubs' new Marquee Sports Network). Both have free trials. :)
But it’s just one game (and it doesn’t even count!). Far more important that your TV provider has NBC Sports Chicago for Twins / White Sox games starting Friday!

Yep. Not going to worry about paying more to watch Cubs games, when it’s just the one game that is of interest.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#7 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• 188 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:46 PM

I'm sure there are a bunch of reasons why the powers that be aren't doing what I'm about to suggest, but it sure seems like there would be a good market for individual channels.My family already has Netflix and Disney+, and the only other thing I want to watch is Twins games.

I was thinking to myself "how much would I be willing to pay to watch Twins games?", and I settled on $20/month.I'm not willing to pay $55, so I won't be getting any of the packages mentioned in this thread... so I'm a net loss for the providers.

I would think this doesn't just go for FSN.I bet there are people willing to pay $20 for individual channels like the Food Network, ESPN, History, etc., but not willing to pay $55 for a package.Maybe not though... maybe I'm part of a pretty unique group.

#8 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,437 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:25 PM

Sigh. I can't  won't even go to the bar to watch anymore.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb.tv, youtube, fox sports, blackouts